New Super Mario Bros

• Official Post

I think @Sardonic Pickle will have input on this.

I only just started playing this game, but it just feels wrong somehow. I can't place my fingers on it.

It feels close enough to a classic SMB game that I find myself playing it with confidence. I run and jump with the self-assurance of an old pro. But I keep just missing the mark. Falling it a pit I think I should have avoided, getting killed by an enemy I could swear I jumped on.

Am I just being cantankerous? Do other people have this issue at all?

• It's definitely not as good as say SMB 3. In my opinion out of all the NSMB games, the first one on the DS comes the closest to the old experience. It could be because you played the old ones over and over, so much you almost know them second nature. So the NSMB game still feels... new, newer. Also I think in NSMB, Mario has a more 'floaty' jump than the old jump.

33eii50.jpg

SUBSCRIBE to my Youtube channel for a variety of skits and gaming

• I feel like the edges of some of the platforms are a little...slippery? Where I don't know if I quite made it or not, and I end up sliding off the edge.

I mean, I enjoy it. It's a little annoying how infrequently you're allowed to save, but the powerups are neat and the levels are creative.

• I beat the game a bit ago, by the by. I eventually got a better handle on the controls, but I maintain that the game is sloppy. Primarily in the way it combines various elements.

The levels are pretty well designed. They're classic mario with new twists, which works for me.

The powerups are also pretty well designed. They feel 'right' for a 2D mario. The right blend of new mechanics that don't sacrifice the simplicity of the gameplay.

But the two elements don't work together at all. I love sliding around on the shell, but never once in the whole game did I ever find an area where I was really able to use the shell. More often than not, I died more easily with the shell than I did without it. And the super giant mushroom thing? Fuck that noise. In the first level, the test level, everything is set up for you to use it. But you almost never get that powerup again, and when you do, what good is it? Half the time I used it I ended up getting completely stuck because there wasn't enough room for giant mario to move around, and he couldn't smash through walls.

It feels like the guy in charge divided the team into groups, shouting "Alright, this is NEW super mario brothers, so we need NEW STUFF! NEW NEW NEW!" But then none of the groups actually talked to each other, so their new pieces don't fit together. It's the kind of mistake I'd expect from someone throwing money at a problem (Mario is stale) rather than coming up with a real solution.

• I beat the game a bit ago, by the by. I eventually got a better handle on the controls, but I maintain that the game is sloppy. Primarily in the way it combines various elements.

The levels are pretty well designed. They're classic mario with new twists, which works for me.

The powerups are also pretty well designed. They feel 'right' for a 2D mario. The right blend of new mechanics that don't sacrifice the simplicity of the gameplay.

But the two elements don't work together at all. I love sliding around on the shell, but never once in the whole game did I ever find an area where I was really able to use the shell. More often than not, I died more easily with the shell than I did without it. And the super giant mushroom thing? Fuck that noise. In the first level, the test level, everything is set up for you to use it. But you almost never get that powerup again, and when you do, what good is it? Half the time I used it I ended up getting completely stuck because there wasn't enough room for giant mario to move around, and he couldn't smash through walls.

It feels like the guy in charge divided the team into groups, shouting "Alright, this is NEW super mario brothers, so we need NEW STUFF! NEW NEW NEW!" But then none of the groups actually talked to each other, so their new pieces don't fit together. It's the kind of mistake I'd expect from someone throwing money at a problem (Mario is stale) rather than coming up with a real solution.

I need to play it again to remember it. All I know is multiplayer sucks in those games.

33eii50.jpg

SUBSCRIBE to my Youtube channel for a variety of skits and gaming

• Another person in those types of games just makes progression frustrating.

Ah, well if your focus in passing the level in the most effective way then no doubt it becomes frustrating with users with less experience. I think multiplayer is more about passing time together and managing to survive the stage more so than doing it all fast and smoothly. Some of the best laughs I've got them because of past inabilities to coordinate ourselves in some stages.

It is kind of a bummer to me I can't find who can play with me that kind of multiplayer.