Your Unpopular Video Game Opinions

• What are some of your unpopular video game opinions? Some of mine are listed down below.

• Super Mario RPG Sucks - I said it before, and I'll say it again. I don't like Super Mario RPG at all. It looks and feels stupid when I try to play it, and I just can't take it.
    • Super Mario 64 is alright - I recently created a thread about this, and I don't think this needs another explanation.
    • Generation 1 of Pokemon (Red/Blue/Yellow) is the worst generation - I'm waiting for the genwunners to rage. (If you don't know what a genwunner is, I'll explain it to you.) A genwunner is basically a nostalgia-blinded person who acts like none of the other Pokemon games exist just because they grew up with the original. I despise these people. People can have opinions. However, it's not alright when they say "ALL THE NEW POKEMANZ ARE SO UNCREATIVE" when, in all honesty, it's the other way around. They are just blinded by nostalgia.
    • Nostalgia is stupid - Here's my biggest one. I hate nostalgia. Just because you grew up with it doesn't mean it's the best thing in the world. I explained a lot of this in the paragraph above.

*insert something witty here*

• I'm wondering if we should have a separate discussion about Nostalgia. I myself have often been accused of being blinded by nostalgia. I contest that the call to nostalgia is a sub-fallacy of the ad homimen argument.

Anyway, unpopular video game opinions:

• If story is important to you, read a book, watch a movie, engage in any one of the many storytelling mediums humanity has created over the millennia. Video games are games. They can be enhanced by story, but a good story is no substitute for good gameplay.
    • "Papers, Please" was not fun. It was like having a really really shitty job, and not in a good way.
    • AAA games are dead. Occasionally the corpse will sputter and something decent will fall out of the body, but on a whole the AAA market isn't worth paying attention to anymore.
    • Sandboxes are overrated. Not every game benefits from being a sandbox. Some of the best games ever are linear games.
    • "RPG Elements" are killing every non-RPG genre of gaming they appear in.
    • PC Master Race.
    • Sandboxes are overrated. Not every game benefits from being a sandbox. Some of the best games ever are linear games.

Yay someone else agrees with me. This is my first on my list then.

• PC Master Race.

LOL

Anyway here's mine:

• Super Smash Bros. is a highly overrated series and is only really good for when you're drunk and with friends and there's nothing else to do. People talk about this series like it's a profession, they praise it as if there is no other multiplayer game series that comes close to it.
    • Skyrim is long, tedious and although I finished it, it became a chore after a while. In fact...
    • The bigger/longer the game doesn't make the better game.
    • Metroid: Other M is actually an enjoyable Metroid game. Besides the sub par voice acting, I didn't mind the story. I loved the 2.5D gameplay.

That's all I can think of for now.

33eii50.jpg

SUBSCRIBE to my Youtube channel for a variety of skits and gaming

• I'm not a huge gamer so I can't really think of anything. Although I'm usually classified as a hater by my uni buds I don't really think I dislike or even care about games I don't find enjoyable. Sure some are just plain absurd but that's usually a popular opinion.
    I suppose my unpopular opinion is that Fighting games are the best kind of games but that's just because I love being competitive.

"this is because"

Having my effort pay off directly on how I do on my gameplay is great. It's fun to compete, practice and spend hours trying to master something and then being able to apply it and win a round oh my god the satisfaction is so real. This is probably also why Melee is my favorite fighting game, the game is fucking stupid and you cannot really master it to a point where you feel your skills are frame perfect, it's all about yomi and reactions, stage control and choice making, there's just so much information going by while you're in a match, possibilities what you can do, what your opponent can do, what's the safest option, what's most likely your opponent to do, is it worth the risk of going for a read, like all of this is going through your mind while you're in a round with someone and are on neutral. Then there's all the possibilities when you're being hit, in a bad position, on the offensive, edgeguarding, like come on give me a break I can't process so much I just mash A.
    Fighting games don't just challenge your technical skill and dedication on the game but also your ability to choose the safest options, predictions on opponents and just mind games overall, it's fucking stupid.
    But even so there's a whole community behind fighting games so it's not really an unpopular opinion, shit like EVO is fucking huge and that sums up it's not unpopular.

Also @Sardonic Pickle it is a profession to an extent, but not something anyone should aim for. Top smash players do live off the money they win in tournaments as some prices are pretty huge. you filthy casual ahahhaahahahaha a
    No but I agree to an extent that fanboys are pretty stupid. Like with everything they are pretty annoying. Just let people enjoy what they enjoy and enjoy what you enjoy. Like even inside the smash community dumbasses hated between melee-brawl and now the hate goes with sm4sh-melee. Who cares just play what you like.

Gen 1 is ok like every pokemon game. Competitive wise it's pretty garbage but it wasn't designed for it so who cares.

Nostalgia is fine for personal enjoyment but you shouldn't let it blind you, like man I love Sonic Adventure 2 Battle but that game is pretty garbage.

I don't really hold opinions on overrated or underrated or stupid shit like that I can't bother myself to care. Games that appeal a general public do well and I don't care as long as they're fun. I don't like Minecraft for example, or FPSs much less Call of Duty or any of the like, but I don't think they're bad or overrated or whatever. Like sure they release games every year and they're basically the same but that's what the people want so that's what they get, I mean Fighting games don't receive that much changes either but I still get pretty hype. I mostly just despise the fanbases more than the games itself (I'm looking at you 5NAF) Games that are actually just bad receive the hate p quick. Hi helo sonic boom.

I'm not getting old, I'm killing myself before I hit my 30s

Edited 2 times, last by Cressel (August 31, 2015 at 10:58 PM).

• Did I tell you I'm a FNAF fanboy? Ok, I CAN agree with you that some of the fanbase is pretty stupid. When someone expresses their opinion on FNAF, some fanboys (or girls) tell them to kill themselves. I don't understand it, but I CAN understand it when it's not just expressing your opinion. It's being an asshole. If they don't like the series why the fuck are they on a video related to it? It baffles me how many idiots there are that go on FNAF videos just to piss people off.

• PC MASTER RACE UNITE
    • There are so many things that are done better with a mouse and keyboard than a controller. Especially if you play FPSes. My goodness.
    • I have enjoyed every 3D mario game I've played more than every 2D mario game I've ever played. This includes Mario Sunshine.
    • As in other fields such as movies, music, books -- true excellence is very rare, and ought to be proclaimed from the rooftops when it's encountered
    • I'm not sure why, but I've had trouble really enjoying the Batman: Arkham series
    • My favorite RTS of all time is Rome: Total War, which I enjoyed much more than both warcraft and starcraft (though I never played much starcraft II)
    • I'm actually not a big blizzard fan in general, though I do love dota, so maybe I'm wrong.
    • Just looking at things I have installed: Mirror's Edge - Underrated. Fallout 3 - Overrated. Assassin's Creed - Generally overrated, 2 being the exception.
    • Elder Scrolls games - Totally overrated.

Wcjv02L.png

• Sell me on Mirror's Edge. Because I wanted to like that game SO MUCH. I love a good female protagonist. I would really love to see a parkour vidja game become a thing. I loved the visual style, and the "usable surfaces are red" thing. In terms of impressing me, that game had every advantage.

But I just...couldn't get into it. I think I eventually ended up in a big circular room and completely couldn't figure out what to do with myself.

• Sell me on Mirror's Edge. Because I wanted to like that game SO MUCH. I love a good female protagonist. I would really love to see a parkour vidja game become a thing. I loved the visual style, and the "usable surfaces are red" thing. In terms of impressing me, that game had every advantage.

But I just...couldn't get into it. I think I eventually ended up in a big circular room and completely couldn't figure out what to do with myself.

You just listed a lot of the pros. It's just a unique experience. First-person platformer. There's a constant sense of urgency that compells you to just keep running, which I think is fantastic. It has those flow aspects as well, lots of times button presses etc. There's even a couple of later sections that have puzzle elements, trying to make your way to the top of really complex structures. Other than the actual running though the game sort of fell flat. The story was interesting in premise but executed pretty badly, with no true explanation of what you're doing either at its beginning or at the end. The combat sections were really weak (though you could argue this was a design decision -- you're not supposed to fight, you're supposed to run. Fighting is completely optional). It's just a really neat little game and it's so different that nothing else really gives you that fix. The good news is, #2 is coming out soon.

Wcjv02L.png

• Skyrim sucks. I mean it was a good game and I did enjoy the tiny bit that I played but the amount of walking and how everything was so damn confusing just made me hate the game so much

AL-banner468.png

Websites, Blogs, Forums & Content Creation

Need help with a project? I'm available to hire for a multitude of services including website design, setup & management, social media management and content creation. More information: Aakash Pereira - Personal Portfolio

I was expecting so much more than what i got, only because of the amount of hype it received. It was good til the end, it was short enough that it didn't get tedious. Definitely overrated though.

33eii50.jpg

• Want some controversial opinions? Okay:

Super Mario Sunshine is a pretty flawed game. Good, but nowhere near as good as some people like to make it out to be.

Super Mario Land 1 on the other hand just plain sucks. The physics are terrible, it looks bad and frankly, the setting and music are the only decent things about it.

Super Mario Galaxy 2 is better than Galaxy 1 in pretty much every way.

Wario Land 4 is better than Yoshi's Island, Donkey Kong Country 2, Super Mario Bros 3 and Kirby Super Star.

Mario Kart 8 is overrated.

Super Mario Maker is... kind of mediocre compared to any fan made level editor.

• I agree with everything except the last 3. I don't understand how you like Wario Land 4 more than those games ;-;

• Super Mario Sunshine used to be hated when it came out, like everything new. Then it become retro and it's cool to like old things the majority of people don't like, so it reversed in opinion.

Like Majora's Mask and Wind Waker.

It is definitely a flawed game, it's not the worst or the best, it's pretty average. Very overrated now.

33eii50.jpg

• Mario Kart 8 is overrated.

No... No... MK is the best. It has Link! It is the best...

Super Mario Galaxy 2 is better than Galaxy 1 in pretty much every way.

I'd argue that one is not unpopular opinion. At least that is the impression I have, that many favour the second one.

I have never tried any Wario Land game. I should check that one out. Topping SMB3 and DKC 2 are serious accusations.

Skyrim sucks. I mean it was a good game and I did enjoy the tiny bit that I played but the amount of walking and how everything was so damn confusing just made me hate the game so much

I haven't tried much of Skyrim but the character created felt downfgraded to me. Not that is something big. Still a lot of people raved about it. It is just ridiculously big (and glitchy) it seems.

and I'm pretty much the only person I know who has ever hated Wind Waker.

Pretty much like you usually suggest of others, This deserves a thread where you explain yourself. I mean I understand if you said it is "meh" but hating it... I want details. Details, I say!

I need to think what are my own unpopular opinions...:???: