Halloween Traditions

• Halloween is celebrated over here in the United Kingdom as well but I don't think any country celebrates it as much as the Americans do with all their props and gardens decorated. For me this year I'll just be sitting at home watching some horror films with other people most likely

AL-banner468.png

Websites, Blogs, Forums & Content Creation

Need help with a project? I'm available to hire for a multitude of services including website design, setup & management, social media management and content creation. More information: Aakash Pereira - Personal Portfolio

• There are a lot of things I like about America. And there are a lot of things I hate.

But perhaps the one and only thing I *love* about this country is Halloween. I often think about moving elsewhere, and if I ever do that, I imagine I'll spend every October in a deep depression over losing this holiday.

• If there's a single thing every country should copy from America, it's Halloween.

But I get how American culture is probably fucking overwhelming and annoying, since a lot of places rebroadcast our media.

Amusingly, most jobs I've worked in the US have discouraged or banned showing up in costume. I generally do anyway.

• Part of me agrees with that. It is a fun holiday where you're able to have fun, get creative, receive some candy and pull a few good natured pranks. It is already well known all over the world. It is a fun memory.

In Mexico the issue with Halloween is that people are intertwining it with a celebration of our own: Day of the Dead. DotD is one of the few old traditions that have managed to survive with us for as long as it has and older generations feel like kids nowadays are just clueless about many aspects of our own celebrations in favour to wear costumes and go around the streets chanting block after block "Noche de brujas (Night of Witches): Halloween" hoping a house will open and give them some candy. I am fascinated with Day of the Dead but mostly because I lived so by the North of Mexico I couldn't witness a proper celebration outside of the school activities. Anyway, It is interesting the ideas in common and the ideas apart from both celebrations and I think it is only natural they end up mixed. DotD in itself is a blend of beliefs from past Natives and New Spain residents. The best we can do is to adapt to the times and find a way to incorporate the things we really want to keep with them.

Amusingly, most jobs I've worked in the US have discouraged or banned showing up in costume. I generally do anyway.

What a bunch of kill joys.

• Day of the dead is a beautiful holiday. I lack the proper cultural grounding in its traditions, but the artistic side of it is very inspiring to me. I hope Mexico finds a way to keep the feel and the meaning of DotD, even if they're incorporating more elements of an American Halloween into their culture.