• Anyone else fans of the original GBA, the non-SP model that wasn't backlit? I am and love that model, so I went to 8BitEvolution and bought an original GBA model that has a backlit LCD screen :D it looks great and it's really awesome IMO. The battery life is slightly less than a normal GBA due to the backlit screen but it's fantastic and a great way to play your gameboy games on the go. :)

revad1.png

• I never owned an original Gameboy Advance. I still have the SP that I've owned all these years. ;w;

I don't like the form factor of the SP model :P

If anyone is interested in the type of GBA i have, you can snag one for around $130-140 from http://www.8bitevolution.com I had a slight issue with the one I bought but sent it back to James (owner of 8bit) and he fixed it promptly and sent it back to me within a day. Quite amazing service! I like their work so much i've actually thought about buying another with a different shell on it. :D

revad1.png

• I don't like the form factor of the SP model :P

If anyone is interested in the type of GBA I have, you can snag one for around $130-140 from http://www.8bitevolution.com I had a slight issue with the one I bought but sent it back to James (owner of 8bit) and he fixed it promptly and sent it back to me within a day. Quite amazing service! I like their work so much I've actually thought about buying another with a different shell on it. :D

That's pretty cool. I tried having a browse and I found this notice:
    "Due to circumstances beyond our control, Backlit GBAs have been discontinued. We're very sorry for the inconvenience. "
    That is a shame. :(

• I have the original! I even have this battery-powered contraption that wraps around it with external lights! It even magnifies the screen, so it's like I gave my GBA the nerdiest glasses ever.

Mostly I never went for SP because I'm so cheap that I would never buy another device when I had a working model. Now that nostalgy kicks in, I of course love the original more. It was also my first Game Boy, and ironically the first game I played on it was Pokémon Yellow, which is not a GBA title. I had the game before I even got the device to play it on, so getting the GBA was a great moment of my life! :P

• I owned a regular advance and an SP. Sold them both while I was still in high school and regret it. Cant find them at all for a decent price. (Good condition)
    I just bought a bootleg copy of Pokémon HeartGold from China. So I could actually play it. Fucking Nintendo needs to release the pokemon games longer. There is no reason why a USED copy of a highly acclaimed series is over 50 dollars.
    Same goes for Zelda games on GC and other consoles.

• There is no reason why a USED copy of a highly acclaimed series is over 50 dollars

I agree. I think it wasn't that long ago I was talking with a friend about the ridiculous prices some second hand games have just for being either eare or highly regarded.

• Well I don't mind it, but I've never exactly thought 'god this is much better than the GBA SP' either.

I'm happy my 8Bit GBA is still going strong. Definitely worth the purchase. I'm tempted to sign up for Retro Game Treasure which is a monthly subscription that send you random retro games and I can get aslew of GBA games from them Im really considering it to build up my collection.

Wait, 8 bit GBA? Isn't the GBA a 16 bit system?

• Wait, 8 bit GBA? Isn't the GBA a 16 bit system?

Technically the GBA was a 32-bit system. It has a 32-bit RISC processor. If you're interested in reading about the inner workings of the GBA, I suggest reading this. It really was quite the capable system for its time and it had a thriving homebrew scene back in the day. You can even emulate NES and Gameboy (Color) games on a GBA. Hell, there's even highly limited SNES emulation! Pretty impressive stuff, really.

Btw, I'm pretty sure Smokey was referring to "8BitEvolution" when he said 8-bit.

Anyways, I have an AGS-101 (backlit GBA SP) that I use to play most of my Gameboy and GBA games on. It would be pretty nice to have it in the form factor of the original GBA, but I'm too lazy to take it apart myself, nor do I have the money to buy one pre-made. :P I also like to play my GBA games on a GBA Micro, but I get handcramps from using it for a long time. Actually, let me list all my GBA systems:

Original GBA (replaced the shell with a Midnight Blue one, because the original shell melted... Yeah... Don't ask, lol)
    GBA SP Classic NES (limited edition)
    GBA SP Kyogre Blue (limited edition)
    GBA SP 'Chinese Dragon' (it used to be a normal black GBA SP, but I replaced the shell myself because the old shell wat totally beat up)
    GBA SP (AGS-101) Onyx Black (my personal favorite)
    GBA Micro Silver
    GBA Micro Blue

I love the GBA! :D Maybe I'll edit this post later with a picture of my GBA's, lol.