• Actually, I was so dumb I played the whole game to the end and still didn't get the Sheik / Zelda thing. When the big reveal comes around, Sheik says something like "There's somebody who wants to meet you", then Sheik disappears and Zelda appears. So I just thought Sheik had vanished as he always does and summoned Zelda on the way out, if you get my meaning. Then Zelda says "sorry about the disguise" and I was like, what disguise? Looks like normal Zelda to me. Then several weeks later I watched my brother play the same section and he was like, omg! Sheik is Zelda! Man I felt so dumb.

I always thought it was straight disguise, because the graphics in OoT aren't that definitive. But seeing some of the artwork, I'm starting the change my mind.

• Well, chest bindings aren't a rare concept in Japanese (or other Asian) fiction. You can see many shows that are popular these days where the females successfully disguise themselves as males and attend all male academies, or join the all male medieval army, etc. etc. Coffee Prince, Mulan, Ouran High School Host Club are prime examples... There are more, but the females DO successfully fool nearly everyone for the longest time in each of these fictions before they are found out.

They call this "gender bending". Zelda genderbending as Sheik is really not too far off, nor does it make her a transgender, or bi (although she very well could be and that would be fine). I do admit, however, that the extremely muscular physique she assumes as Sheik is pretty odd in comparison to her normal form, but that can be explained away by magic or ninjutsu (most likely a mixture of both).

sig.gif