• I'm teaming up with my cousin to do some let's plays so the Edward_Stryfe youtube channel is officially dead. We're not 100% on what the names for the channel is going to be but we are going to make our own website. So with that I'm building the site from the ground up. And since we don't have enough money for servers that could host the hundreds of gigabytes that let's plays end up producing. So I found this protocol called webtorrent http://webtorrent.io/ and the difference with that is that the video isn't hosted on the server of the website but in the browser of the viewers and in the clients of the torrent seeders.

Unfortunately it's in Pure JavaScript and is incompatible with PHP scripts. SOoooOOO0 I 'm stuck trying to find a work around for it which is going to be monotonous for sure. It isn't going to be the most difficult but it's going to take a LOT of man hours in writing and designing everything, and of course my cousin doesn't have any experience in CSS, HTML, JavaScript, or PHP. So this'll be fun.

I think I'll make this thread a progress tracker for the project. Oddly enough designing and building the video player and streaming that without being hosted on the server is the easy part. One of the hardest parts to manage is going to definitely be building the menu which is supposed to be dropdown but needs to be stored in pure JS.

As for what I have done, I have a few designs and schemes that I'm working on balancing everything. As well as some of the CSS. I still haven't picked out a color pallete for the site yet though. And I'm not 100% on how I want to make account accesses work. So I'm in for a trip for sure.

adpolu63fcf.png
    duolap64d6d.png
    ======
    laoupd7d228.gif
    ---

• Oh my gosh,it sounds like you are going to be locked for a while trying to come up with the interface of the player in pure JS. Good luck working out those incompatibilities or finding a workaround that is effective and won't risk other things.

That said, it is pretty exciting you are joining with your cousin and I definitely want to see what you guys prepare. :D

sig.gifDQkD2XN.png

• Well, I wish you the best of luck. A distributed, non centralised video sharing service is definitely something the world needs about now, and maybe you might be lucky/skilled enough to create it. You'd certainly get an audience, what with all the folk annoyed about YouTube Heroes and content ID and copyright bullshit there.

So yeah, good with the project.