Breath of the Wild Theory

• I think BotW is of the rumored 4th timeline, one where Adult Link from OoT dies either before he gets to the Ganon fight or by Ganon himself.

The deku tree says that Link has no recollection who he is and he will now tell Link what has happened. (his history as the Hero of Time, his child life among the Kokiri etc)

When Link "killed" he was saved at the brink of death and stored in his slumber by Rauru or any of the other sages.

Ganon who was prevented from gaining the Triforce of Courage as Link never died.

Though Link lives he had lost all his memories.

The Master Sword could be rusty because Ganon had it in his possession for all them years attempting to destroy it before it was stolen and returned to the Sacred Meadow or Kokiri Forest or whatever they call it.

See Hyrule Castle was ruined, it was too in OoT adult timeline. The Kokiri became Koroks to protect themselves. blah de blah

Maybe in an attemp to save Hyrule the sages sealed Ganon in his tower which was built near or on top of Hyrule Castle, his seal lasts until Link awakes.

• Honestly I'd love if this Link was the Hero of Time Link. He is my favourite incarnation.

The Master Sword could be rusty because Ganon had it in his possession for all them years attempting to destroy it before it was stolen and returned to the Sacred Meadow or Kokiri Forest or whatever they call it.

Or like in other games, simply by destroying the sources of light in the world maybe the sword lost its power and needs to be reforged even if Ganondorf didn't take it directly. Then again we have never seen it this decayed. It used to be dull not so forgotten as to be oxidized.

For me it could easily fall on either. I guess it will depend on those memories lost to know if he is a new hero or someone we know.

• In Wind Waker, ganondorf claims Link os the Hero of Time reborn, so I just assume all Links are the Hero of Time

Makes sense. For me I think OoT's Link when I hear "Heor of Time". The Wind Waker Link would be more like the Hero of Winds, hahah.