Are Netflix Shows too violent?

• I am a big fan of the Marvel Universe, but, I think Netflix has kinda ruined it to an extent. Don't get me wrong, the premise for their Original Marvel shows are actually quite good, but it's the level of violence that I'm not really able to stomach.

Iron Fist was great, but quite violent, still enjoyable though. Jessica Jones, alright, but unnesessary unsexy animalistic sex scenes, where I actually burst out laughing because I was imagining two animals going at it. There was even one scene with a person's head impailed on the edge of a glass table, which they thought was nessessary to keep going back to over the course of what seemed like 5 minutes. Daredevil season one was very violent, but the second season was unwatchable for me. They took the violence up a few notches completely forgetting the core of what Daredevil is about. I haven't finished it. Then I read a review to see if it mellows out. They talked about a scene with people on meat hooks and confirmed that season 2 abandons all discretion shots in favour of full on gore. WHY??? These aren't horror series, but they've made them pretty much on that line in parts. I can't watch horror, so you can understand my frustration.

Does anyone else think that Netflix shows are tipping on the side of being too violent for the mainstream?

• I know where you are coming from. Like said above, I wouldn't say it's just Netflix though. Across the entertainment industry, as they become better at making things look realistic, they are increasingly want to show it off on screen which is probably not great for those that don't like gruesome scenes :lol:

AL-banner468.png

Websites, Blogs, Forums & Content Creation

Need help with a project? I'm available to hire for a multitude of services including website design, setup & management, social media management and content creation. More information: Aakash Pereira - Personal Portfolio

• I think Netflix is cashing in on the apex of a trend. It's been leading up to it for a while, it's almost like certain films are conscious of being a bit geeky, like superhero movies, so they make them really dark and violent to be like "hey, this is proper serious this." But they don't need to; these genres aren't fringe anymore.

It's been on the horizon for ages though. The 90s mainstream was the end of the scary fun, like Jurassic Park and Jumanji. Then the 'dark is good' started to creep, like in Lord of the Rings they hammed up the sad bits (love LotR, don't get me wrong) and RotK was almost gritty. Then the new Batman trilogy. Then look what Game Of Thrones did! Gritty grimy darkness is the big thing now.

Buuuut I don't think it'll last much longer. It's too established, too old now. Someone will pick up something new, because it will make them money 8)