1. Guest, feel free to chat with us on our official IRC channel via mIRC: irc.northfire.net in #Zelda or by clicking the Chat link on the forums or on the main page.

Ask 'zilla silly stuff

Discussion in 'Ask Me!' started by 'zilla, Nov 23, 2016.

1. Silent Lion

Silent Lion Rawr.

Just watched the video (bandwidth is transient, it seems). Fantastic. This topic will be my new obsession...

• Like (+1) Like (+1) x 1
  2. Amaterasu

Amaterasu New Member

Do you like cheese?

Sent from my microwave

3. 'zilla

'zilla Blarf

Old coagulated cow boob extract? Nah, that's too kinky for me.

• LOL LOL x 1
  4. Amaterasu

Amaterasu New Member

What about bacon?

-

5. 'zilla

'zilla Blarf

Not a big fan of fat pink mammal muscles either.

6. Silent Lion

Silent Lion Rawr.

Are you a vegan?

7. 'zilla

'zilla Blarf

Nope. Although I am sympathetic to the concept. You'll find me eating pepperoni pizza on busy days, and I consume a lot of fish, but apart from that I stay away from animal products.

I started doing so for environmental reasons, and I spent years slowly changing details of my diet. Now that I understand how to have a balanced diet not dependent on animals, it seems only logical for me to choose this option. I mean, only a few generations ago, people here were fully dependent on keeping animals for their own survival, as a source of fat and vital nutrients through the winter. Now we instead have health concerns over excessive consumption of meat and animal fats, and with this welfare we have ways of getting by without the animals.

Eventually we might have to reduce the number of livestock globally in order to feed the world. You could say I'm just preparing for the future? XD

8. Silent Lion

Silent Lion Rawr.

Death (your own). Have you grappled with that concept? If so, how did it go?

9. 'zilla

'zilla Blarf

Nice one! I can answer that one in a few different ways.

1) I haven't touched the actual concept of death, otherwise I would be dead and it would be hard to reply.

2) I've never been near death through a struggle of any kind. However, I did almost fall off a mountain once. I was being careless climbing down, and this might have made me more prudent careful in life, but it has not had a major conscious impact on me.

3) Thoughts and emotions concerning my own death? There are a few points of interest
    - I vaguely remember when I was learning of death as a child, and it did bring me great sadness then to imagine myself or members of my family dying. For a large part of my life, I imagined there would be a fantasy afterlife or some kind, and this softened the post-existential anxiety.

- At some point in my life, about a decade ago now, I was experiencing a deep peace and contentedness with life. I felt somewhat constant, eternal and powerful. Ah, the springtime of youth. I felt that my own death would not have worried me much, because I had experienced enough and become complete. The fulfillment of a sentient being; or merely excessive sloth, privilege and lack of ambition? Well, it didn't last forever.

- Today, I am very curious about death and not very anxious about it. Especially recently, as I've started to ponder about the nature of awareness, perception and the inseparability of anything in the universe, I cannot fight the idea that death as we imagine it is an absurdity. I do not expect to go to any alternate reality upon my death, like heaven or hell – and thank goodness, because I never could figure out how that could be anything but a horrible tragedy. I do not expect that any vestige of my personality or consciousness will remain. And I do not expect any kooky thing like "my Soul will merge with the greater Being, the Energies of the Divine Universe will Embrace me with their Auras of Positive Vibrations". It's more like, I wonder what remains once this consciousness and this body is gone. The universe, which I am part of, will still be doing its thing. And what if doing is existing? As in the Integrated information theory, where consciousness is not a separate entity but a side effect of the information processing in the brain, I am very curious what other side effects are piggy-backing on physical interactions in the universe. In other words, I am leaning toward the idea that all of the universe is being perceived by itself, not consciously or intelligently or willingly, but still. An observing object is not necessary, because there are no observing objects, there is only the universe, as an ocean with complex wave crests and troughs. Shake it the right way and you have a brain, you have consciousness. It is experienced in a certain, intense way within the volume where it occurs. And there are so many more ways to shake and shape the universe! When I die, it will be like the whirlpool that disappears when you put the plug in the bathtub. No more beautiful whirling. But the water is still there, everything is still there, just that shape is gone. It will be less interesting – to a human mind. But that one is gone anyway. I'll just keep being the ocean, like I always was.

10. Silent Lion

Silent Lion Rawr.

I got another one of those physics questions. This one's also about energy transfer - a topic that never seems to quite add up, until someone adds it up for me, then it's very obvious.

Imagine I'm holding a heavy rock. Why is it that I require energy to hold it up and feel tired afterwards? I mean, it's not like the rock is moving anywhere. It's not gaining potential energy nor losing it, nor am I going anywhere - I'm just keeping everything still. So where is my energy going? Am I losing it into the earth's gravitational field or something?

On that note, when two astral bodies attract through gravity they are exerting a force to alter one another's paths through space. Doesn't exerting a force mean spending energy? If that energy is coming from their gravitational fields, shouldn't those fields get weaker the more they are 'used'? Is Jupiter's gravitational field slowly weakened as it is spent on heating Io's core? I know Io's a lot smaller than Jupiter, but equally it has been orbiting Jupiter for many millions of years.

It just seems like wherever gravity's involved, there's some undiminishing source of energy.

11. 'zilla

'zilla Blarf

This is a strange situation, yes. As far as I understand, it boils down to how muscles work. I believe that the effort in holding a heavy rock has something to do with the muscles fibres constantly deforming, heating up, and also breaking. Contracting a muscle means a whole lot of electrical commands to multiple cells, and if we try to balance that contraction at an exact point, we have to keep readjusting. This fidgeting and shaking is surely inefficient. And after all, isn't it easier to hold up a weight with your arms extended fully above your head, than it is to lift it up there? At full extension, it seems we have some more stability, and I guess some more efficiency. Then, the bone can take some of the weight, and the muscles need only worry about balance. The bone is, after all, rigid, and so in this case, if we are able to lock the joint, minimal energy should be expended in keeping the object put.

Just my best guess though :)

Yes and kind of. Energy is definitely transferred through gravity. The energy that is tapped/transferred is the kinetic and potential energy of the satellites. There's a lot to be said about this, and one interesting example is the Earth and the Moon. Gravity works here quite like magnetic fields in a generator. Basically as the Earth spins, it moves the Moon-generated tide ahead of the moon, luring it like a rabbit in a dog race. Attracted by the increased gravity of the tidal region, the Moon is slowly pushed further out into a wider orbit. It gains potential energy this way. In return, the Earth's rotation slows down, impeded by the ever-shifting tide. This is also what tidally locks planets and their satellites (or stars and their planets). This wikipedia article is quite interesting:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tidal_acceleration

So basically, Jupiter's squeezing of Io should be spending energy not from Jupiter's gravitational field, but from Jupiter's rotation. OR it could be spending Io's own potential energy, causing it to plummet into Jupiter. And that's not including the magnetic effects, which are literally awesome:
    More on that here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Io_(moon)#Interaction_with_Jupiter.27s_magnetosphere

As for gravitational fields, they never weaken, and I agree, this isweird. If you imagine the fields being mediated by a particle, a graviton, then these gravitons need to be emitted constantly. However, this is not an entirely correct image because quantum mechanics has more tricks up its sleeves. Force-mediating particles are virtual particles, which basically do not come into existence until they have a job to do (and even then they don't act like free particles are supposed to). So all across the universe are posted ads for potential gravitational exchange, and only when those ads hit other ads is there a gravitational interaction. This interaction nudges both bodies closer together, and again this is only an exchange between potential and kinetic energy.

From a relativity standpoint, this makes more sense. Here you view spacetime as a landscape of hills and valleys, and anything in it follows the logical curve. (This is of course just an analogy - we picture planets moving on the spacetime landscape as if gravity is downwards, but relativity is supposed to be doing away with the concept of gravity as a force. Instead it says that objects will always follow the shortest path through warped spacetime.) Limited though it is, this picture allows us to see how potential and kinetic energy are really results of spacetime, and they as much as anything are the energy of gravity.

At the core of general relativity is Einstein's equations. Not E=mc^2, but G = 8*pi*T. This is a simplified version where G is the curvature of spacetime and T is the energy density of the universe. So basically, at the core of the identity of gravity is the realization of a correspondence between any energy and the phenomenon that we perceive as gravitational attraction. So a photon will attract another photon gravitationally, even if they have no mass. Molecular binding energy exerts a gravitational force. Anything that exists, has gravity. But gravity does not have an energy of its own; it just dictates how energy moves.

12. Silent Lion

Silent Lion Rawr.

That is awesome. My official summary:

Gravity is WiFi for energy.

13. 'zilla

'zilla Blarf

That's a good analogy!

In fact, when I think about it, the same is true for all of the forces. We may talk about storing electrical energy in a battery, but that's by forming energetic molecular bonds. Basically it is a form of potential energy, but across an electric potential (usually known as voltage) instead of a gravitational potential (also known as height).

Interestingly, both gravitational potential energy and electromagnetic potential energy affect the curvature of spacetime, even though they "aren't physical" as in having a substance. Energy really isn't a substance of any kind, it's not something you can "have". And yet it is a fundamental property of the universe that is always conserved. It is very odd.

For the other forces, the weak and the strong nuclear force, the story is the same and even more interesting. The strong force exists within the droplets of the primordial soup of our universe that we call protons and neutrons. It doesn't reach beyond them, except for some echoes called pions that work to hold protons and neutrons together despite the electric repulsion of the protons. So the mere echo of the strong force is enough to keep opposing charges together so closely it's crazy. What is even more crazy is that the proton has a mass that is way larger than the sum of the masses of its constituent particles, the quarks. The rest of the mass is made up of soup. Virtual quarks and gluons bubbling in and out of existence in such a frenzy you'd think it was still Big Bang. Being virtual, these particles have no real footing in reality, but they still make a mess of things while they exist and that supplies energy. And since E=mc², then m = E/c² and the proton gets a lot more mass. 1000 times more, in fact, than it should have if the universe was simpler.

The weak force is like a severed body. Its severed head is electromagnetism. You can put them back together but then you need another Big Bang and then radioactivity would cease to exist. I don't even know where to start to fit it into the WiFi framework but I am confident it could. Maybe. It is a weird force.

Gravity is the only force that affects all of spacetime. There is no gravitational charge like there is electric or magnetic charge, or strong or weak charge. Gravity takes it all. That is why we're led to think of it is something more fundamental. It might even be a mistake to compare it to the other forces, it might be a different beast altogether. Time will tell because we still have no clue.

14. Lexatom

Lexatom Blockbuster Advocate
    Staff Member

What's your favorite letter?
    How about number?
    Are these questions stupid?

15. 'zilla

'zilla Blarf

The one that your grandfather handed down to me as a prophecy of the devastation that would come when you discovered the true power that lies hidden within you.

It was the letter C.

I like Graham's number but it's Graham's, so I suppose I'll have to find another number for my dreams to come true.

If you asked this question in the jungle as a tree was falling, and you were deaf, would 'stupid' even have an objective definition?