1. Guest, feel free to chat with us on our official IRC channel via mIRC: irc.northfire.net in #Zelda or by clicking the Chat link on the forums or on the main page.

What If? :o

Discussion in 'Zelda Talk' started by Silent Lion, Aug 4, 2017.

1. Silent Lion

Silent Lion Rawr.

A Zelda theory game - someone comes up with a what if question, and everyone tries to imagine would would happen. (Does this belong here or in games?)

So...
    What would have happened if Darunia had defeated Volvagia in OoT?

2. Kaynil

Kaynil Well-Known Member
    Staff Member

3DS:
    1848-2038-9377
    NNID:
    Kaynil
    I guess either would work but Zelda talk promotes a more in depth answer than the forum games. I guess I can always move it if you guys like me to.

I guess Link would had one dungeon less to worry about. Other than that it would be the same Darunia would become a sage and have the 'talk' on the Sacred Realm.

What would have happened if Vaati had killed Ezlo instead of turning him into a hat?

3. Link

Link Hero of Time
    webmaster
    Staff Member

3DS:
    ‭3368-5725-4601‬
    NNID:
    zeldacavern
    SFC:
    SW-6709-6167-2399
    Nothing, Darunia would have still been the Sage of Fire, and he would of still given link the Medallion

4. Silent Lion

Silent Lion Rawr.

I haven't played Minish Cap :/

Thing is though with Darunia (like any of the sages I guess), I'm not sure he could have been the Sage Of Fire if he'd defeated Volvagia. After all, the sages follow a pattern (excluding maybe Rauru) - Their land/people are in trouble, they go into the temple, fail to defeat the evil within and then communicate with Link only when he has defeated the same evil. The sage in question has now passed into another world and awakened as a sage. The implication is that these people were killed by the temple's boss.

If that's true, does it then follow that these people could only be sages in death?
    "Because it is destiny that you and I can't live in the same world." - Saria

• Like (+1) Like (+1) x 1
  5. Kaynil

Kaynil Well-Known Member
    Staff Member

3DS:
    1848-2038-9377
    NNID:
    Kaynil
    I hadn't thought much on that. I always assumed the other world was the Sacred Realm and that they were alive but now bounded into their responsibilities so they couldn't continue their normal life they had before being awakened.

Another reason I didn't assume they ascended to sages after their life was claimed is that we see Ganondorf destroying a sage in a Twilight Princess cut scene. I assumed he killed the sage then and not their spirit.

I always took Saria's quote as the realusation he was a Hylian and not a Kokiri.

Anyway, following that logic then someone else would have to become a sage but I guess for Link that is mist lilely a dungeon he doesn't have to do if Darunia does it before him. :XD:

• Like (+1) Like (+1) x 1
  6. Silent Lion

Silent Lion Rawr.

All very true. You're probably right. There's a few things though I could never figure out - like what do the sages do between not defeating the boss and being awakened by Link defeating the dungeon? Do they escape the enemy and wander around the Temple waiting for Link to be victorious? Does Rauru or someone else in the Sacred Realm 'hold' them until Link comes along? And if that's true, what happens to Nabooru when she is freed from the Iron Knuckle curse and then the witches blast her? Why would they send her to the sacred realm? Where was she waiting?

Oh! And here's a new one -
    If Link had been too slow and hadn't gotten to the Great Deku Tree before he died, Link wouldn't have ended up collecting the Spiritual Stones and Ganondorf would never have met with the Triforce and all the upset he caused in every game afterwards would have been avoided, right? ... Right??

I mean, Ganondorf had already lost patience and given up on all three stones, leaving curses behind as he left.

... Right?