Christmas Casual

• Just thought I'd take the opportunity to explain what's up with me and make a thread to discuss work in general, casual and temporary contracts, etc.
    So basically a friend and ex-housemate is Second in Command on a small department store and offered me a Christmas Casual position a few weeks after I returned to Australia from Mexico. So I have a job now but it will be only until the start of the next year.

As a Christmas casual in retail, the hours have been increasing and have been changing a bit to suit the store needs, which means a pretty decent amount. So that's in part why I haven't been around as much. I arrive home just in time to cook dinner and do the dishes after and by then it gets to be close to bed time. In the mornings usually I get up straight to get ready, iron my uniform if needed and run to catch the bus, haha.

Have you guys ever been employed as a Christmas casual?

I just wonder how will they mark the end, is it going to be they simply will stop rostering me and letting me fall off the system, or will they give me a definite date for my last shift. I have no idea. First time being a temporary casual.

• I posted that one the 17th, now four days later I can confirm... Just kidding, it's been over a year now.

Turned out the place didn't kick me out and ended up staying a casual. Haha.

So on the 23rd. I'm staying until midnight. That's gonna be fun. According to my coworker last year the mall forgot and turned off the lights for half an hour. So there were no customers. We'll see how we go this time, haha. :lol:

• I'm not familiar with the term "casual" in this context. I presume it's like a seasonal worker? Someone employed during a busy period, with the expectation that they'll be let go at the end?

I've never done that work myself, though I did work at a grocery store during a few major food holidays.

• I'm not familiar with the term "casual" in this context. I presume it's like a seasonal worker? Someone employed during a busy period, with the expectation that they'll be let go at the end?

Maybe is a different name. Here you have full time, part time and casual. From the bunch, casuals don't have a set amount of hours per week. I think the minimum is getting 3 hours every two weeks. And they can fire you on the spot, you don't have some insurance benefits but if they need you weekends and late nights, usually you get paid higher.

So when they say a season + casual, yeah, then the implication is that you're being hired temporarily to cover for a few weeks/months and they'll stop calling you once it's over.

It was the first job I got as a season casual, because I usually skip them. I am after some stability, but this one was a sure shot and I needed the income. I'm glad I did.