Was communism a threat?

• A couple days ago, my mom was watching "Good night and good luck," and it's about communism and Senator Mccarthy. For those of you who don't know what senator John McCarthy did was accuse random people, without evidence, of being pro communist, just because he thinks so. Then my brother speaks up, saying that communism wasnt really a threat, but people in the United States believed it to be a threat, due to U.S. propaganda. So, i propose to you zeldacavern users this question.

Do you think communism was a threat to the united states, or do you believe that the United States propaganda led you to believe it was?

• Communism wasn't and isn't a threat at all. It's just another way of government, like a dictatorship. It actually works well in some countries, and the idea of everybody being treated as equals and being taken care of by the state is an amazing idea.

The whole idea of the Cold War began when the Soviet Union tried to PUSH communism on countries that didn't want it. In the same sense, England and the rest of NATO tried to push Democracy on the Soviet Union and so began the Cold War...

So if you look at it, Communism is as much a threat to the USA as Democracy is to countries with a different form of government.

An example of this would be George Bush trying to push democracy on Iraq... It's not really a threat to the country, but the Iraqi don't want to be democratic, so some people are putting up a resistance. Now the US military has to go in and mop up all the blood and guts because THEY wanted to push a form of government on a country who didn't want it.

Get my point?

Untitled-2.jpg

• I believe it was a threat and here is why. Hyrule_Knight is correct. It becomes a bad thing when it is pushed on other nations. That is why it was so necessary to win WWII. Had Hitler had his way, Europe would have been thrown into communism and they wouldn't have been content and would have eventually tried to take the world.

I also believe that even the countries under a communism aren't in that good of shape. Do you have any idea what runs through their minds. They think their nation is superior and all others should be their slaves. Not a good impression in my mind. Stalin alone killed millions and millions of his own people! Imagine what he would do to us.

<br />&quot;Brothers! What we do in life, echoes in eternity!&quot;<br /><br />-Russel Crowe, Gladiator

• I don't know...but communist countries don't all think others should be slaves, only the people running them. and another thing, WWII wasn't for Hitler to achieve communism in different countries, but the European countries responding to the German attack on Poland, which, in turn, broke the final agreement made during the writing of the Treaty of Versailles, declaring that a) Germany would take resposibility for WWI, b) The German army would not fortify, c) They would return all stolen land, and d) They wouldn't search out new territory.

Hitler had broken all these parts to the treaty and, when he attacked Poland to gain control of the German speaking people, and broke the final claus in the Treaty, England and France retalliated by declaring war on the country.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not degrading your oppinions, mearly correcting the historical flaws in the meantime...

Plus, I agree with Shalazar...

Untitled-2.jpg

• Communism was a threat to the united states. Communism is a great idea but it doesnt work. If you try to establish communism in an already established nation then the only effect will be a ruined economy in the end.

Shalazar you seem to be a little confused. Hitler was very anti-communist and it was Hitler's policy that all germans should be the superior race and all others should be slaves. That is not true of communism. And although the fact that communism in the US wouldnt have worked, many of the eastern european countries that were satelittes under the soviet union actually suffered when it broke up in 1991. there were many economic and culteral problems in those coutries that they couldnt handle themselves, but the soviet union had kept under control.

Forget pieces, I&#039;m the holder of the whole friggen Triforce.<br /><br />HACKERS CAN YURN YOUR COMPUTER INTO A BOMB!!!

Edited once, last by MasterLink (June 12, 2006 at 6:23 PM).