Rose Thief (Name Subject to Change)

• Official Post

I did not know you could mention people on this forum. It's nice to see how much forum software has improved in the years since I last used one regularly.

This is RPG Maker, right?

It looks like you've put in some good effort already. Though based on the video and screenshots, I don't really know yet what would set your game apart. The 4th wall breaking humor at the start is amusing, but aside from that things are standard fare so far. Confused, borderline amnesiac protagonist. Chrono Trigger opening. (Mom tells you to wake up or you'll be late. You go downstairs to meet your best friend of the opposite gender.) Goblin enemies. Etc. Obviously I haven't seen much of what you have in mind yet, but currently you're skewing towards cliche in your design.

I don't mean to be discouraging. I'm never sure how critical I'm supposed to be when people share their creative works. I know that, for me personally, I find it really difficult to get people to give me honest & constructive feedback. Everybody always wants to say "that's great" so they don't hurt my feelings. Which isn't really useful, it's just an attempt to avoid conflict. So I try to treat others as I'd like to be treated in that regard.

One strong criticism I do have is the music. That shit is ear-bleedingly repetitive. I know music is pretty much the most difficult thing to get your hands on, but there has to be something better available than that.

I'd be really interested to see how this develops. I hope you'll show us more soon.

• -snip-

Well, it isn't an RPG maker actually. I did use an RPG maker for the basis, but everything is done from scratch mostly.

As far as design... this is just a test. And no way is that the final story revamp. I was considering more a darker.. tone.. something more deep and the story changes based on your answers throughout the game... Which I would find more interesting actually.

• Official Post

Wow! I didn't think any less of you when I thought you were using RPG Maker or anything. It's a pretty decent tool. But having done all the work from scratch is pretty impressive!

So if I understand you correctly, the game will have tons of different dialogue options all throughout the game, which create branching paths through the story? That's ambitious, but could be really cool when complete.

Would the effects of choices be hidden, or would the player have some idea of what each choice could mean for them down the line?

• Wow! I didn't think any less of you when I thought you were using RPG Maker or anything. It's a pretty decent tool. But having done all the work from scratch is pretty impressive!

So if I understand you correctly, the game will have tons of different dialogue options all throughout the game, which create branching paths through the story? That's ambitious, but could be really cool when complete.

Would the effects of choices be hidden, or would the player have some idea of what each choice could mean for them down the line?

Many of them will be hidden through side quests. and Some will effect the main storyline and ending.