Voice Acting in Zelda? (Among other changes)

• Should They Incorporate Voice Acting in Future Zelda Titles? 0

1. Yes, change is good (0) 0%
    2. No, wouldn't be Zelda (0) 0%
    3. Maybe, they could try something (0) 0%
    4. Don't Care, whatever *sips tea* (0) 0%
    5. Undecided, I really don't know *feels dumb* (0) 0%

Now call me harsh, but as of late I feel the traditional Zelda formula is wearing thin and becoming repetitious and I might not be the only one who may have come to this critical judgement. I mean I love the Zelda series, but I guess over the years I have become too overly familiar with the whole Zelda formula. However, I am very optimistic that Nintendo will make the right decision and give the series a much needed face-lift and bring some new, fresh ideas to the table. One of the many Zelda themes is that the NPC's do not speak vocally (albeit grunts and other sound effects). Now back then, it was considered very acceptable and OoT & MM were critically acclaimed and praised despite not having any voice acting. However, in this day and age, we are apparent to the fact that games and gaming in general has evolved and people have higher expectations and expect new, exciting ways to playing there games. They are driven and crave for something new and interesting, while some may stick to the old formula's and I confess I was on both teams. But I think embracing the future is a lot better than being bonded adamantly with the past and expecting the same old same old.

Upon completing TP, I felt slightly underwhelmed and had that I was in the "been there done that" frame of mind, which was unusual being a lover of most of the Zelda games in the "past". Aye, well that was the past wasn't it and it seems now that we are in a new generation of gaming I guess I expected something different. Or maybe when I heard it was going to be like OoT I was overjoyed or maybe just my expectations were too high. Regardless of all that, I still felt a little bit disappointed like I had seen it all before, however I will praise the Wolf Link element and some aspects of the storyline, very refreshing. Now I feel that the Zelda series needs to alter its "classic" formula, and I bet Nintendo are thinking the same thing too right now. When I heard that they announced Twilight Princess would be the "last Zelda game of its kind", I was excited. Maybe I expected they would incorporate and introduce new elements, unfamiliar to the Zelda series. Perhaps change the gameplay but still keeping a bit of that Zelda charm but not too much of it. One of those ideas was the possibility of maybe incorporating voice acting in game but keeping our hero a mute. Sure, that would destroy the whole aspect of giving your hero another name, but hey you gotta take risks right?

I am quite supportive of voice acting for the series, I think it would introduce a whole new interaction aspect that the series has lacked. At the time I liked the idea of using a little imagination and no voice acting didn't really concern me all that much, but I feel its one of the changes needed to make the series refreshing in this day and age. Traversing around Hyrule and seeing the inhabitants all walking around, perhaps they have unique schedules (thank you MM) and then when walking past them they acknowledge you and it just makes the world a lot more interactive and immersive. The Zelda series has always been about interaction right? Well how about going the distance and bring the world to "life", and there's some talented voice actor's out there, sure you got to have the very best for a series as reputable and recognized as Zelda. So whats your opinion on this? Its a big step for sure, but whether its a step in the wrong or right direction I leave to you...

• I totaly agree with everything you say here

Although Nintendo are well known for their lack of speech in Mario games as such. I think its how the fans like it most.
    As you say about the next generation you want to see something different I also think they should experiment more and voice acting would be a good jump in the line of the Zelda series.
    A lot of fans of the series would agree, a lot disagree which means Nintendo would be taking a big chance yet again but you never know it could turn out okay.

Myself I also think that it would totally ruin the whole Zelda experience if they couldn't get Links voice just as I had imagined it.
    Same goes for other characters.

In Sonic titles they have started using voice acting and to me I think it works pleasantly enough.

For Nintendo though, Rare have always took a shot at a bit of voice acting. At first they would use character noises and squirms for example 'banjo & kazooie' or
    Diddy Kong Racing and Zelda fitted well in that whole category
    Next generation came Rare's Starfox Adventures where they used voice acting (again was a success)

It just come to me that in Super Mario Sunshine Nintendo used voice acting for flood,
    yet they didnt use voice acting for Mario

This is what I truely think should happen with Zelda, where Link will not talk and other characters with contain voice acting.
    This way it resolves any disappointment to fans expecting Links voice to be what they imagined and taking experimenting up to the next level.

• Well I think they should make a trailer like thing of the voices of the people and see if people like them :)

• Quote from Shrukan

Nah. Then they would have to make Link's name be Link, even if you named the file different.

Edit: General Zelda

Well, that wouldn't be much of a big deal now would it? I mean I never found amusement in naming my Link anything else other than his true name so it wouldn't bother me at all really. It's really a very minor thing, nothing in comparison to changing the formula completely or introducing new gameplay aspects. I mean everyone else would have a voice, apart from Link who I can't imagine having a voice really and I think thats one of the things they shouldn't change, peroid. But I still stick by my opinion that the Zelda series needs to incoporate voice acting and integrate new, refreshing ideas that will bring something completely new to the table