• It's not so simple to be honest. Venusaur's special attack is only slightly lower than Charizard's, Charizard is faster but Venusaur is bulkier. the difference is that Venusaur's bulk and moveset allows for stalling. Blastoise falls a bit behind because his stat's are more defensive, but his moveset doesn't really help him out with a defensive build.

Same thing applies with Johto starters, although Meganium is the bulky one so it's moveset actually fits for stalling which is great. Feraligatr's physical attack is huge, Thyplosion has around the same special attack as feraligatr's attack and is faster but Feraligatr is bulkier.

So basically your picks are just as extreme as mine regarding offensive power.

I'm not getting old, I'm killing myself before I hit my 30s

• -snip-

Well, this also depends if you're using the new Super Training feature. But then again, the special stats in Generation 1 and Generation 2 were still more applied to attacks that were more indifferent than the others. For example, a Razor Leaf would be based upon it's Special Attack rather than it's Attack stat solely.

However, when Pokémon Ruby and Sapphire came out, moves were separated by Range, Physical, and Special Attacks. Pokémon Gold and Silver remained with only Physical or more so.. Attack Power. The formula for both game titles are simple a taking it by a grain of salt.

Starters before Gen III and after had around the basic stats for any trainer, old or newbie, to begin and start an adventure. But as the more complicated the games become, the most interesting a starter has an advantage over another person's starter.

Friendship was another stronger ideal in Gold and Silver. If you had your friendship maxed out for your starter or any other Pokémon, this would give you a heavy advantage over someone who doesn't have a good friendship.

c06f5b652c29ea0bddedeea6a13fd577.png
    962314e8def1118cf338c4037faabc82.png
    e9a726e87c329f015ce0d0def51089bc.png

As you had stated above:
    "Venusaur's special attack is only slightly lower than Charizard's, Charizard is faster but Venusaur is bulkier. the difference is that Venusaur's bulk and moveset allows for stalling"

This being said, it's obvious that Charizard as an average is still better by 1.5% While Blastoise just barely reaches Charizard by a .67% However, stats on the board, Venusaur does have the highest HP Stat. But, Charizard has the Highest Speed, Highest Attack, and Highest Special Attack Stats. Now, Blastoise has the highest Defensive, Special Defensive, and about average across the board. But Venusaur isn't left out that far back, it's the moveset that normally makes the difference with battles.

d7b460e5724595eefc9281cd28693e78.png
    d6d5e4f131d2680b6d52c13c241b99d0.png
    de7b75337a8cfc7210db1730179e5490.png

As you had stated above:
    "Same thing applies with Johto starters, although Meganium is the bulky one so it's moveset actually fits for stalling which is great. Feraligatr's physical attack is huge, Thyplosion has around the same special attack as feraligatr's attack and is faster but Feraligatr is bulkier."

Feraligatr has the highest HP and Attack Stat and even with Meganium with Defense, while Typhlosion has the highest Special Attack and Speed, and last but not least Meganium has the highest Special Defense and about even in speed with Feraligatr. Again, it's the same thing as above, Typhloshion averagely beats both. However, again I will state that it is all along the lines of movesets, stats don't make a Pokémon automatically better than another just simply being put

"OH! Typhlosion and Charizard is 1.5% Better than Meganium and Venusuar!"

No.. no... just no. NO! All Pokémon equally have an advantage somewhere, it depends on stats yes, but it also depends on nature, IVs, EVs, and several other things. For example this formula explain hows IVs are calculated into creating a individual stat.

HP_calc.png
    Statcalc_gen12.png

Now in generation two, there was several things added in that changed IVs from the normal 15 to 31. The IVs were changed because of gender, shiny Pokémon, and a few other things including friendship. The formula above remained the same, just a few things were added in. Here are few examples.

Gender Being An Issue:

efbe9f81ba959d4931418a0e759e15db.png

Shineness Being an Issue:

559611def425ea3d7537bfb816a1b0c2.png

• I don't like Math. Or numbers in general for that matter. I honestly don't pay attention to stats and EV's and IV's and all that confusing stuff, I just pick the Pokemon I like for any reason at all. I've never owned a Gen 1 game, so I've only played Pokemon Red on an emulator. I picked Charmander like most people did. I did, however, own a Gen 2 game. Pokemon Gold was the first game I ever played and it introduced me to gaming. I picked Cyndaquil for that adventure. As you can see, I like Fire types.

*insert something witty here*

• Wow that was a huge waste of text on something I already know. You stated: "extreme amount of ATK and SP.ATK." to be on Charizard and Thyplosion, which isn't the case when you see the base stats.
    I already know how breeding and raising works, I know how it wasn't the same on the first two gens, I know how the typing worked in the first 3 gens.
    The pokemon is defined by the base stats, and it's utility and limits are as well, the rest are numbers that can be worked around and are completely irrelevant.

I'm not getting old, I'm killing myself before I hit my 30s

Edited 2 times, last by Cressel (July 13, 2015 at 8:24 PM).

• Official Post

Wow so violent.

I played Pikachu on Yellow and taught him how to surf with Pokemon stadium.

Bulbasaur and every other leafy types were always my selections.

• Wow that was a huge waste of text on something I already know. You stated: "extreme amount of ATK and SP.ATK." to be on Charizard and Thyplosion, which isn't the case when you see the base stats.
    I already know how breeding and raising works, I know how it wasn't the same on the first two gens, I know how the typing worked in the first 3 gens.
    The pokemon is defined by the base stats, and it's utility and limits are as well, the rest are numbers that can be worked around and are completely irrelevant.

Oh.. I'm terribly sorry for putting you through that then, Cressel.. Sometimes I like to explain things in depth and I get carried away.. :^^U:

• I don't like Math. Or numbers in general for that matter. I honestly don't pay attention to stats and EV's and IV's and all that confusing stuff, I just pick the Pokemon I like for any reason at all. I've never owned a Gen 1 game, so I've only played Pokemon Red on an emulator. I picked Charmander like most people did. I did, however, own a Gen 2 game. Pokemon Gold was the first game I ever played and it introduced me to gaming. I picked Cyndaquil for that adventure. As you can see, I like Fire types.

Same here, Inhale, but the thing I just never got used to Fire types was that their over-all Special Defense and Defensive stats were always too low for me to do well... anything. I always put Water types and sometimes even Grass types over Fire type Pokémon. Megamium was my pick for G/S/C and when I caught all Majority of the Pokémon in those series, I went ahead and choice Charizard or Blastoise just to regulate my team or just to find a different way for strategies.