Bioware, Bethesda, and the fate of Turn Based Battles in RPGs.

• Official Post

Kilovh and I were starting to go pretty off topic in "What was the first game you played," so I'm splitting the thread off.

Original thread is here: http://forums.zeldacavern.com/index.php?thre…ed.30/#post-934

RPGs have come a long way since then though. Playing FFXII makes me wonder if the turn-based rpg is dead. I suppose the question is - was the turn-based system just a limit of the technology of the time, or does it have its own merit? Because Mass Effect for example is to my mind perhaps the most immersive RPG experience I have ever had and they're third-person shooters. (I suppose the modern competitor against Mass Effect would be the Elder Scrolls games which despite many hours of Skyrim I never felt as attached to. I really don't jive well with Bethesda games, despite the many things they do well. Only game of theirs I've played recently that feels polished is Dishonored. No, I'm not a big fallout fan; fallout seems to suffer from the same insane "We can build an entire detailed universe but we can't make a decent HUD or interface" problems as TES. I always feel like they need more designers on their team. Not imaginative worldbuilders. More nuts-and-bolts type people. Because BioWare games just work and look absolutely gorgeous for their time, whenever they come out. They're smooth as butter. Whereas with Bethesda there's always these flaws that need overlooking, imo.)

You and I could not disagree more on this. I've yet to play a Bioware game that could hold my attention for more than an hour or two. They're clunky, plodding, and dull.

And while I've never enjoyed the thoroughly generic Elder Scrolls games (if Bethesda wants to make a game that focuses so heavily on melee combat, they really might want to build a good melee combat system), I'm a huge fan of the recent Fallout games. New Vegas in particular is a masterpiece. And despite running into a few, fairly minor bugs in the two recent Fallout games, it was never a serious issue, because Bethesda gives the player the power to just...fix it. 30 seconds to enter a console command, and you're back on track.

Regarding turn based battles, I think there's a lot of room for them to remain relevant. in modern gaming. Just look at the VATS system in Fallout for one modern example of how a turn based system can work. (I just hope in 4 they make it work a little bit more like it did in Fallout 1 and 2. Not exactly, mind you. Just a little more).

I think the reason someone might think turn based battles are a relic of the past is because 99% of games with turn based battle systems suck. I mean, I love Final Fantasies 1-10 as much as anybody. But the battle systems in those games are awful. It's all about finding the dominant strategy, and mashing that repeatedly.

If you're a fighter, click "attack" every time it's your turn.

If your a mage, use your most powerful spell each turn. Don't use status spells, they never work.

For each character in your party, a dominant strategy emerges, and the smart player will simply use that ability every single turn. It's boring. And honestly, it was just as boring back when we played those games for the first time. But we were wrapped up in the fantasy and the narrative, and the fact that battles were dull just sorta washed over us. It didn't matter.

So of course, any game that tries to emulate those old terrible systems is going to seem to suffer. But that's a flaw in the individual design of the game, not the fundamental concept of turn based combat.

The way I see it, there are three things that could be done with turn based combat to really bring it into the modern era.

1. More player facing information.
    2. More player engagement.
    3. More relevant choices.

Break it down:

1. More Player Facing Information.

One of the best features of Final Fantasy 10 was the little bar that showed turn order. They did away with the stupid Active Time Battle system, and used an calculated turn order based on each character's speed. And THEY SHOWED IT TO YOU.

This was a huge deal. You could look ahead and determine which monster was going to be the next to act, which meant you could prioritize your attacks against that target, because if you could kill him before his turn, then you'd avoid some damage.

Too many games manufacture part of their challenge by keeping the player in the dark about what their choices mean. Consider every time you've selected a dialogue option in a game that read "Leave me alone," and then once you selected it, your character said "Get the fuck away from me you disgusting subhuman freak!"

Turn based battles should be about strategy, and strategy should be about information. Lots and lots of information. And that doesn't mean there can't be surprises. Lets say you use a "sleep" attack against an elf. The game pops up with a message that says "IMMUNE!"

For the rest of the combat, and if you ever encounter an elf again, the sleep attack should have the word "Elves are immune" next to it.

2. More Player Engagement.

This is probably the least important of the three points, but I think it's a valuable one. Just because players are selecting actions from menus does not mean that they should simply sit there and watch

Final Fantasy 8 did a bit of this, but in my heart the game that really nailed it for me was Paper Mario. (Forgive me if Super Mario RPG also did this. I never played that game).

Almost every attack was accompanied by some kind of timed button pressing the player could attempt to make their attack more effective. When they jumped on an enemy's head, pressing "A" juuuuuuuust as they landed would allow them to double-jump on the enemy. When they hit the enemy with a hammer, they had to hold the "A" button to charge up, and release it juuuuuuuuust as it hit its max charge.

These are minor things. And, really, they don't even need to have that much of an impact on gameplay. But they prevent attack animations from becoming gameplay dead space.

3. More Relevant choices.

There are so many possibilities for choice in turn based games. For magic users, of course, there's an endless spell list. For fighters, instead of a simple "fight" button, there could be a list of maneuvers. Or they could attack different areas of the target, causing debilitating status effects. Or, their list of weapons could function a little like a list of spells. Do they attack the monster with a sword, or a mace?

Then of course there are things like terrain, and positioning, and elevation, and footing. Tons and tons and tons of interesting factors that could come into play.

But it all has to be relevant.

Consider the original Final Fantasy 4. Back when we called it Final Fantasy 2 and it was on an SNES. Do you remember how immense the spell lists were? There were like...three spells that turned enemies into harmless animals, with minor differences between them. How fucking cool is that?

Except you never used any of them because they were useless. You just used whichever spell did the most damage at the moment because anything else was a waste of time and MP.

A good turn based battle system needs an array of choices for each character in each situation. (7 is a good target number here.) And the system and enemies need to be delicately tuned and balanced so that you need to be aware of all of your options, because every option you have is relevant.

For example, maybe the enemies are too tough to take on all at once. Maybe the only way to survive is for your wizard to turn one of the enemies into a pig, and your judo master to wrestle the other enemy to prevent it from attacking anyone but the judo master.

This turned into a huge rant about game design, sorry about that. I spend a lot of time thinking about this stuff.

• Fascinating. Stop apologizing this is interesting stuff worth reading.

So you didn't like any of the mass effects, or kotor, or freakin' Jade Empire for that matter which wasn't bad? I mean, this is a diversion about bioware and has nothing ot do with turn-based battle seeing as except for mass effect all these games are turn-based. I'm just surprised. Aside from Jedi outcast and Jedi Academy which are more cult hilts and have the advantage of only well-implemented lightsaber battles in the history of star wars games, KotoR is generally regarded as the best SW game of all time, and I think that reputation is well-deserved. The story is compelling, the character progression seems solid. In fact the only downside to the game might be the problem you're describing here -- there are certain force moves that make even the final boss way too easy and you just end up spamming the same move from halfway through the game until the end. (I actually felt, btw, that KotoR 2 suffered from the bethesda-itis I ultimately dislike, which is why I felt the first one was better.)

But Mass Effect? Great story, great progression, a skill-based combat system (since it's a shooter), compelling characters especially in mass effect 2, extremely high production values, great voice acting, some open-world aspects, somewhat varied sidequests, persistent characters from game to game (a great feature I'm surprised isn't used more often...)...I thought they were ace. Probably my favorite game series in recent history. No other series imo is consistently as good. I know I'm in a minority about fallout but I guess I just never "got" it.

But I just thought -- there is a great modern game with turn-based combat, and its name is Transistor. That turn-based system never got old. In fact, just remembering it now makes me want to try more stuff. What a great game. And despite (or maybe because of) it being turnbased I enjoyed it more than Bastion. It's actually a great example of how an action engine was granted much more depth through strategy and turn-based elements.

Of course, you can't compare the turn-based system of transistor to final fantasy, which is why it didn't even occur to me until now that transistor is turn-based. You move around with limited motion, using moves that you crafted yourself (from tons of different options) to take out enemies who all have their own unique strengths and weaknesses -- watching the character actually perform the move is not the boring part between your choices but on the contrary an extremely satisfying execution of your choices...

Wcjv02L.png

• Side-topic: Is borderlands an RPG? It has strong RPG elements but it's, like, kind of its own new thing. I mean, everything nowadays has SOME rpg elements. Very few games seem to have zero character progression. So what makes it an RPG? Does adventure need to be involved? How much story is necessary? One thing Borderlands certainly ain't is turn-based.

Wcjv02L.png

• Official Post

An indie game is a game that dosn't have successors or pre successors. It's its own thing. Like MineCraft and League of Legends.

So, the actual definition of "Indie" game is a fluid thing. It's hard to pin down. But what you posted is certainly not the definition. By that definition, Dishonored was an Indie game until a month ago, despite being a AAA title published by one of the most recognizable developers in the world.

Like I said, the actual definition is hard to pin down. But it has a lot more with being an independent development, produced by a small team, bypassing the traditional game publishing structure. Etymologically, the idea of an "Indie Game" owes its origins to stuff like "Indie Films" (films produced outside the studio structure), and "Indie Music" (a genre which originated as music produced outside the label structure).

• So, the actual definition of "Indie" game is a fluid thing. It's hard to pin down. But what you posted is certainly not the definition. By that definition, Dishonored was an Indie game until a month ago, despite being a AAA title published by one of the most recognizable developers in the world.

Like I said, the actual definition is hard to pin down. But it has a lot more with being an independent development, produced by a small team, bypassing the traditional game publishing structure. Etymologically, the idea of an "Indie Game" owes its origins to stuff like "Indie Films" (films produced outside the studio structure), and "Indie Music" (a genre which originated as music produced outside the label structure).

An Indie title is mostly anything that uses it's own material to generate itself. It generates it's own ideas, content, and information based upon what it actually is. However since the game runs on a Nintendo system or something that requires it to be on a non partnered device, Indie games are very "Dependent" things.

• Official Post

@Pekachew

An Indie title is mostly anything that uses it's own material to generate itself. It generates it's own ideas, content, and information based upon what it actually is. However since the game runs on a Nintendo system or something that requires it to be on a non partnered device, Indie games are very "Dependent" things.

I heartily disagree with you. But the definition of "Indie Game" is super off-topic here. If you'd like to talk about that, we should start a new thread.

@kilovh
    QUOTESLASH MOTHERFUCKER

Fascinating. Stop apologizing this is interesting stuff worth reading.

You're a good person, Kilovh. I will always love you.

So you didn't like any of the mass effects, or kotor, or freakin' Jade Empire for that matter which wasn't bad? I mean, this is a diversion about bioware and has nothing ot do with turn-based battle seeing as except for mass effect all these games are turn-based. I'm just surprised. Aside from Jedi outcast and Jedi Academy which are more cult hilts and have the advantage of only well-implemented lightsaber battles in the history of star wars games, KotoR is generally regarded as the best SW game of all time, and I think that reputation is well-deserved. The story is compelling, the character progression seems solid. In fact the only downside to the game might be the problem you're describing here -- there are certain force moves that make even the final boss way too easy and you just end up spamming the same move from halfway through the game until the end. (I actually felt, btw, that KotoR 2 suffered from the bethesda-itis I ultimately dislike, which is why I felt the first one was better.)

KOTOR is probably my favorite Bioware game, though it has never held my attention past Dathomir. And, yeah, I think it was a pretty lame game. I mean, for starters, it was built using the WotC developed Star Wars D20 rules, which was doubly dumb, because video games built on tabletop RPG rules are never very good, and if you're going to build a video game off of tabletop RPG rules you should at least pick a good tabletop RPG. But beyond that, I thought the game's combat was painfully weak. (miss...miss...miss...miss...3dmg...miss...miss...) And I was more than a little annoyed that I was forced to abandon the Scoundrel class (which I was having a lot of fun with) and become a Jedi. All of that being said: I did enjoy playing KOTOR. It's a fun game, and I have a strong personal attachment to it due to mumble mumble mumble ahem.

I've never even heard of Jade Empire, actually. (To be honest, I was pretty out of the loop from 2005-2010).

But Mass Effect? Great story, great progression, a skill-based combat system (since it's a shooter), compelling characters especially in mass effect 2, extremely high production values, great voice acting, some open-world aspects, somewhat varied sidequests, persistent characters from game to game (a great feature I'm surprised isn't used more often...)...I thought they were ace. Probably my favorite game series in recent history. No other series imo is consistently as good. I know I'm in a minority about fallout but I guess I just never "got" it.

So, here's my experience with Mass Effect: I bought it during my very first steam sale in December of 2010, because everyone said it was good. I played through the plodding, boring opening mission where I really didn't get to do anything interesting. I got stuck on some part where they kept telling me to throw a grenade, but the grenades didn't work and it wouldn't let me continue. I think I had to restart it here, not sure. Then I went to the citadel, and I sat through a lot of long cutscene things. Had a firefight. Then I went on a few missions, but they all seemed pretty much exactly the same as the starting mission, though with thankfully fewer tutorial prompts. After 28 hours of gameplay, I uninstalled it.

The whole thing felt entirely uninspired to me. The setting was generic, the running/shooting felt clunky, and I just didn't care enough to keep playing. Now, the idea that characters have some consistency to them because you can keep your save file from game to game? That's pretty cool. And I'm certain that you're already thinking about how you're going to tell me to try playing Mass Effect 2 instead, because it's so much better. Everyone tells me that. Maybe I will give the game another try someday. But I feel like I gave it a pretty good shake, and it didn't do anything for me.

By the by, I actually think Fallout has some fatally serious problems as well. Most notably, the fact that it doesn't take any time at all to hit max level, and once you do, you can 1-shot even the toughest creatures in the game. The saving grace of Fallout, for me, is that even when it's technically being a bad game by my own definition, I still find it both charming and fun. If you don't share that feeling, I can't really make an argument as to why you should reconsider. =P

But I just thought -- there is a great modern game with turn-based combat, and its name is Transistor. That turn-based system never got old. In fact, just remembering it now makes me want to try more stuff. What a great game. And despite (or maybe because of) it being turnbased I enjoyed it more than Bastion. It's actually a great example of how an action engine was granted much more depth through strategy and turn-based elements.

Of course, you can't compare the turn-based system of transistor to final fantasy, which is why it didn't even occur to me until now that transistor is turn-based. You move around with limited motion, using moves that you crafted yourself (from tons of different options) to take out enemies who all have their own unique strengths and weaknesses -- watching the character actually perform the move is not the boring part between your choices but on the contrary an extremely satisfying execution of your choices...

Transistor is a perfect example of what a modern turn based system should look like, yeah. It's not without flaws (for a game that is almost entirely about battles, most of the battles are way too similar to one another, and way too easy to beat), but it's a huge step in the right direction. I've got more than a few game ideas myself which would draw heavily on its influence. Thank you, by the way, for turning me on to that game in the first place.

Is it weird that I don't really like Bastion at all?

Side-topic: Is borderlands an RPG? It has strong RPG elements but it's, like, kind of its own new thing. I mean, everything nowadays has SOME rpg elements. Very few games seem to have zero character progression. So what makes it an RPG? Does adventure need to be involved? How much story is necessary? One thing Borderlands certainly ain't is turn-based.

Every game has RPG elements these days, which I think is a problem. The whole structure that 'leveling up' is based on comes from tabletop games, like D&D, where characters could level up and grow more powerful. But, in part, that was balanced by the referee. A human player present at all times who can go "Oh hey. The players are breezing through everything. Clearly my environment needs to present them with some more challenging opportunities." In most video games, adding a leveling system only serves to wreck the game's progression by adding unnecessary variables.

With good games, you have a sliding scale of difficulty. The game will gradually become more and more difficult as it goes on. You do this, because the longer the player is playing the game, the more personally skilled they become. On the first level of Mario, you're not used to jumping yet, so you might fall in the pit even though there are two huge platforms on both sides of it. By the last level, you're a master jumper, so the game has to give you very small platforms with fire jumping out of them in order to challenge you.

When you take that formula, and you add mechanical character progression on top of it, the balance of player skill against escalating difficulty is destroyed. You end up with "level check" bosses that can't be defeated unless you've reached X level.

Personally, I think that RPG mechanics in video games are best used as a teaching mechanism. I think World of Warcraft actually did an amazing job with this. If you took a new person and sat them down in front of a max level WoW character, they would be utterly baffled. High-level WoW play is so ridiculously complex that no one would find it fun. BUT, if you start at level 1, you've only got 2 or 3 abilities. By the time you get a 4th ability, you've fucking mastered the first 3. And so on, and so forth, until you get your 80th ability, which is easy, because you've already mastered the other 79.

As to the question of whether or not Boarderlands is an RPG: this question is boring. Genre is a system of categories created by people who don't make art, to help them understand the people who do make art.* Being able to determine which games are, and which games are not RPGs is helpful if you need to stock a shelf in a game store. But if you want to keep your mind open to the limitless possibilities of what a game can be, then locking your brain into genre definitions only serves to limit your thinking.

Also, I never played Borderlands, and I thought Borderlands 2 was a very well written, very poorly designed game. I never finished it.

*(This is an oversimplification. But it's accurate enough to suit my purposes within this argument.)