The Origins of Majora

• A while back I wrote a long, essay-like piece that concerned the origins of Majora and here it is in full, its quite a lot but dont say I didnt warn you. See what you make of it and of course all things concerning the mysteries of Majora and other related topics fit here

The Legend of Zelda: The Chronicles of Majora
    The true history of Majora can become very inexplicable, especially when there is very little logical information to work from. Therefore I have compiled numerous theories that may justify Majora?s prehistory. From using the logical information, we can see that Majora?s Mask was a cursed concealment that generated great malevolent powers. A great evil power would be bestowed upon the person who wore the mask and it used its evil manipulation to control the wearer?s mind to do great evil deeds. The mask contained so much evil power and caused so much destruction that it had to be sealed in the shadows forever, preventing its misuse. According to the Happy Mask Man an ancient tribe constructed the mask and imbued it with evil enchanting powers.The Mask was used in hexing rituals whether these were sacrificial is anonymous. It was also said that the Mask became corrupted and uncontrollable and those who feared such catastrophe sealed this cursed mask in the shadows forever preventing it to be used never again.

Not much is known of this ancient tribe but it?s plausible that they were wiped out by this mask as it became unstable and its wicked evil powers destroyed everything in its path. The remaining living must have sealed the mask and fainted in despair. What really perplexes many is why the ancient tribe constructed such a wicked dominant mask. I believe Majora may have been a great evil god that the tribe worshipped long before the mask was made. They were provoked by there great god but his life was running out, he was losing his power. So with that the tribe constructed and assembled the bear resemblance of his facial appearance and infused the last of his evil powers. They now treated this mask as if it was there god reborn, they used it in great rituals some even sacrificial in order to please there god. But over the years the power of the mask was intensifying and the real powers of the mask were being harnessed. The tribe became fearful of the mask as it caused destruction and the tribe were not aware that it could harness so much evil power. It destroyed there ancient civilisation along with them, the remaining had enough power to seal the mask in the darkness preventing it to be never used again.

Some define Majora as an evil god-like being that existed long ago and with that race also flourished which I like to call the ?Masked Majorains?. These ancient people definitely possessed some strange magical powers, especially to construct such a wicked evil mask. But they never intended it would soar out of control and turn against its people. Some believe that the tribe didn?t seal any evil whatsoever into the mask and that it got mysteriously impregnated with an evil powerful spirit or an umbra. This might explain the chaos it caused, but if they used it previously in rituals then really what was the sole purpose of making the mask. I?m sure it was something more than worship; I reckon they knew it contained an evil power and so used it anyway to see what the outcome of it could be. But with no choice anyway they had to investigate the mysterious powers of there creation. They had to harness this great power and use it not only for sacred formalities but for the well being of there tribe. During the construction of the mask I think the tribe sealed more than they really wished for. As you know Majora?s Mask had the unique ability to incarnate itself, this might explain the theory of an evil spirit being implanted into the mask during one of there rituals.

The thing is there is much more to this than we already know, this evil spirit couldn?t have come from nowhere, or did this tribe disturb and torment something they shouldn?t of. Yet maybe while using this mask the evil spirits of beyond were somehow effected by this ritual and so as the ritual was proceeding evil power was being imbued into the mask and the tribe definitely noticed. Maybe then the mask become uncontrollable and started manipulating people to do evil bad things, and with that the tribe basically destroyed there entire civilisation. An evil spirit or power may explain the evil behaviour of the mask, it?s not really known yet how the tribe actually used it. Maybe one had to wear it, the leader perhaps and the tribe had to perform various sacred procedures before proceeding with the final transaction. I believe this transaction may have been sacrifice, an individual that the tribe had to give up in order to keep there gods happy. I believe that by carrying these procedures the mask became more powerful as it drained the life and soul from some of the inhabitant. One day it might have possessed so much power that when one were to put it on Majora would have his own mind and control the individual wearing it to do what he wished and not the tribe. Majora?s powers were gradually intensifying during these long years, until one day it decided to take matters into his own evil hands, and he did that very well.

The powers of Majora were great too great for one tribe to control, the conclusion being that the mask gradually became more powerful and suddenly too powerful. The ancient tribe may have wore masks themselves and that it was cultural and beneficial to wear one, or it may have been a part of there religion. I reckon these people possessed passionate powerful minds and that to even think of counteracting there own religion would be a sin. I reckon that they believed in that they themselves were Masked Guardians and knew that they were a powerful tribe that possessed hidden magical powers. Many have claimed that this ancient tribe still lives but on the interior of the Moon, the very Moon that is set to plummet into Clock Town. I?m sure you have seen of what I am referring to, those little kids running about by the huge tree. Have you ever wondered to yourself that what you?re seeing is actually not real? Yes, something which is illusory, unreal that somehow the inside of the Moon is a lush green paradise with sunny skies and with inhabitants. These inhabitants may be linked with Majora.They are children and they are wearing the masks of the four evil guardians that terrorized the Four Lands and who were summoned by the evil power of Majora?s Mask. It may seem odd to you what these kids actually represent and what there purpose is of being in this illusion of some sort. Many believe they represent the Four Giants; these are the very guardians that created and protect the Four Lands outside Clock Town.

The relationship between Majora and these Four Giants are anonymous but what we do know is that the Four Giants abandoned the Skull Kid and he became furious and filled with rage. They had to depart and so they left the Skull Kid all alone and he became raged and so by using the Mask his wish was granted and the evil spirits Odolwa, Goht, Gyorg and Twinmold sealed the Four Giants away. At the time though Majora was manipulating his mind, so what might have gone on between Majora the actual being and the Four Giants. I believe they both lived during the same period and according to the story of The Four Giants they were actual human beings, not humongous just normal human beings like the rest of them. Majora could have had something against them during this time and that the ancient tribe were still existent. I can?t begin to imagine that Majora once was a normal human being also, but tormented by grief just like the Skull Kid, it actually makes sense providing it is in the right context. Majora being a human being might have happened long before the tribe even came into contact with him. The only problem that discards this theory is that the tribe look as if they have worshipped Majora for centuries and always, so I can?t really say if Majora existed as a normal human.

The evil Moon was created by the wicked powers of the Mask therefore it must have created a new world along with it. One with a hatred outside but a lush green paradise inside. It doesn?t really make sense of what Majora?s intentions were of this, but I can say that this was no basic creation. Majora must have gathered a lot of evil power to create such a humongous monster of a Moon. My views of the Moon are simply this, Majora created that Moon not only for sole purpose to plummet into Clock Town but if the Four Giants were to come and stop it he could also use it as a lair. As we saw as soon as Majora descended into the Moon via the portal it became even more powerful and almost became too hard for the Four Giants to handle. I was astounded as soon as I got inside, as I was expecting an evil place of darkness surrounded and consumed by it. Oddly it wasn?t, it was lush grassland and a huge tree in the centre was where these mysterious kids were found running around. I believe there is definitely something more to those children on the Moon, I mean not only that but one of the children was actually wearing Majora?s Mask. It?s strange but it?s as if when Majora departed to the Moon he changed dramatically, but since the Moon was his creation then these other kids must mean something. No one can really say, but there is a definite link between them, Majora and the Four Giants or even the Four Evil Guardians.

To really understand Majora you must include variations that link to either via the plot or its past references. It?s very complex but once you have the links you can then start to elaborate and build it up to make an understanding story of your own. Another thing that caught my eye while I was on the Moon was the layout of the place, a single tree in the middle surrounded by grass. Did you by any chance see the same sort of display in OoT, yes in the Water Temple when you were fighting Dark Link. The battle was based in a misty room with this time water surrounding and the tree in the centre. I?m not sure what this could mean but there is definitely a resemblance there. It may be crucial evidence that somehow these hold some sort of connection, on the Moon there was a kid sitting beneath the tree wearing Majora?s Mask. I found this to be very strange, it was like what you?re seeing is not real but it is when you enter the battle arena. There must be an explanation for those kids on the Moon and by wearing the Masks it?s trying to show us a vital clue. As you know the kids demand you to give them your masks, and that after every dungeon you beat they ask you something about your friends. Its odd that they want to know this information and that if you beat the dungeon and win the game, after you are teleported back out and then that one disappears. I believe that they may hold a connection with the Happy Mask Man, they look so alike and they are both intrigued by masks. These children possess mysterious powers too like the Happy Mask Man of disappearing into thin air.

The Happy Mask Man sure is a suspicious fella; he is unlike any other character you've ever met. I've always contemplated his personal character and I've always wondered if he has something linked to Majora. What we know is that he somehow came across this Mask, and he was aware of its terrifying powers but he didn't act as if he did until Link failed to get it back. Even though he is a mask collector he still shouldn't have even looked for it or maybe he came across it accidentally. It was said though that the ancient tribe sealed it in the shadows forever and who knows where that was. He may have come across it using his mysterious powers, but was he really that stupid? I mean sure it makes sense to wonder across the continents searching for masks but surely he knew that it would be stupid to find and carry such a mask. He knew he might have gotten mugged; a mask of that power needs to be either destroyed or protected strongly, and not just put away in some backpack. When the Skull Kid mugged him it looked as if the place was in a forest somewhere, it may have been nearby where Link enters. I reckon that the Happy Mask Man was mugged very recently before the Skull Kid came across Link, its so like the HMM to creep up on people as he did. He probably saw the whole incident with Epona and was just simply standing by and then following as if he was invisible (must be more of his weird powers). I honestly think the Happy Mask Man was up to something a guy like him is never innocent, he has something to hide. The HMM must have even been there when Link was turned into a Deku, he seemed so sure that he knew what happened and that by making a deal it would save him.

The Happy Mask Man has met Link before in Hyrule when he was opening up his new Mask Shop in the Hyrule Market. Then after seven years he left and departed elsewhere, he might have taken the same path Link did. He rounded up his masks and carried them on his back, but to come across Majora?s Mask so fast is impossible. Some believe he used his mysterious powers to reap the mask from wherever it was hidden, some call it the ?gap between dimensions? and I find this to be very logic. He must have somehow come across its resting place and retrieved it from where it laid dormant. The Mask had weird decorative patterns ingrained on its surface. It was a mask that even by looking at it you could tell it was cursed. These mysterious patterns were probably designed by the ancient tribe that made it to make it look fearful and wicked. Its colouring and design looks very like the masks that were worn in carnivals, but this one contained the pure essence of evil. After coming across it the HMM must have been astounded to discover such a find and couldn?t quite interpret of what it could do, and he didn?t want to see for himself either. The HMM must have learnt more of this mask, some rumours say that the HMM was a member of that ancient tribe that existed long ago. I can?t see that it is possible sure he has mysterious powers but he must have acquired them somehow, perhaps he was born with them or they were casted down to him by his predecessors. It could be plausible that the HMM was of another race altogether, they say he is Hylian but it just doesn?t fit. Hylians cannot bring huge organs from nowhere, its unsure what race he is but I believe it?s a whole different race that we are not aware of.

It?s really hard to resolve all of these different aspects that link to Majora. Even I am confounded after all this research but there is still some very essential information that needs to be analysed and contemplated before I finalize it. One of the most discussed theories is the relationship and connection between Majora and Oni. The Fierce Deity Mask is another wicked mask with terrifying powers which allows you to transform Link into a god-like being called Oni Link. This form of god-like powers is similar to Majora in many ways which is why people brought up all these theories of them. The history of The Fierce Deity Mask is not really spoken of, but I have been researching valuable information that may connect these two. The ancient tribe that fabricated Majora?s Mask must have had competition with another race of beings that were alike them. This other race must have made The Fierce Deity to prove a battle against Majora?s wicked evil powers. This race were not fully human but half monster too, they possessed far more formidable wicked powers than there neighbours and so together they created The Fierce Deity Mask which was there symbol of worship and rituality. The two tribes both had formed there own god-like beings and both became corrupted in different ways. The Majora?s Mask became too powerful to control but do you know what I think, I think these creators of the Fierce Deity Mask may have placed there very own wicked powers into the mask. This may explain why Majora became too powerful all of sudden. The Fierce Deity Mask contained the real last weapon to defeat Majora and with that the race ensured that the mask was hidden forever very much like the Majorains did to there evil creation. One would find these two masks one day and that they would finally settle there differences and battle to death.

These two evil deities were destined to meet and settle there differences. The Fierce Deity Mask contained wicked evil powers very much similar to Majora; it enabled Link to transform into this god-like being wielding a huge formidable blade. There was a rivalry between the two tribes, a fight for a power, they each constructed there evil masks influenced by there very own gods. I believe that this Fierce Deity really existed probably at the same time as Majora, it could be possible that they fought each other which would explain why Majora the actually god became weak. The ancient tribes that worshipped these gods may have created the masks for the sole purpose of reinvigorating there gods. Once the tribes had constructed there masks they continued to worship them, but as you know Majora somehow became too powerful. An explanation could be that the Fierce Deity Creators casted a spell which went wrong and Majora became formidable and unstable. The evil spell had angered Majora causing him to cause destruction, even to the Fierce Deity Tribe in which the remaining had to hide the mask until someone would find it and finally defeat Majora. These two Great Masks are definitely connected and you can see by looking at the many theories I have mentioned of them. Two great gods who hated each other, two great tribes that brought them back to life via creation of the masks, and Majora became unstable and caused destruction leaving the Fierce Deity Mask the last weapon to finally strike down Majora. They knew they would meet again and settle the score and they did.

Lately though I been studying the mythical and astrological aspects of the Moon that may bold a connection to Majora. According to the astronomer at the Astral Observatory the moon has long been considered a mystical body, which people have worshipped and feared. So it seems that the Moon was also worshipped maybe during a specific period. I came to assume that this worship of the Moon might have possible connections with the ancient tribe that made Majora?s Mask. It seems they had a strong and passionate manner of religion and rituality. They were very much involved in magic and wearing of masks, I can clearly depict that this tribe wore masks that they themselves made and each HAD to wear one. It would symbolize that there religion was important to them and it would appeal to gods who I guess also wore masks, for example Majora himself. When Majora's Mask was made they had no idea that it would corrupt and practically destroy there entire civilization. I believe the tribe "may" have imbued some magical essence into the mask to give it only a limit of power, a power in which was highly concentrated that it wouldn't intensify. I also now believe that there religion was also in connection with the Moon, they may have believed the Moon was a ?sacred? symbol of life and peace. They may have used the great powers of the Moon and they worshipped it like a god. This tribe could have used Majora?s Mask in many rituals along with the Moon that they worshipped. The tribe was very associated with the Moon and may many shrines and temples where they would perform ceremonies to worship it. The tribe believed the Moon meant "eternal peace", but then that day when Majora's Mask became corrupted it had indeed affected the Moon itself, making it now something to fear.

The Moon itself had changed shape and appearance; its crust became rocky and evil looking and then it started to grow a face an evil horrific looking one. Majora and Moon ensured that the tribe and civilization would never live to tell it. Majora had complete control of the Moon and it became a weapon of destruction and devastation. The Moon became something to fear rather then worship and together they caused devastation, fortunately some of the tribe lived to seal Majora?s Mask away. The Moon then became stuck in the sky, never moving and the clouds covered its evil face from the world and the Sun rose to light the day. Then ?someone? found the mask and it towards the end it fell into the wrong hands and Majora was once reborn, he manipulated the wearer to carry out his wishes. This may explain why the Moon is in its current state of plummeting into Clock Town. If it was worshipped and feared then the Moon changed its current form into an evil one, makes sense. All I am saying is that this tribe and many others also could have been very associated with the Moon. This ancient tribe did really exist very long ago and to me they definitely wore customary masks to mark a tradition. This may be linked to the Carnival of Time as it a season of harmony and it begins when the sun and moon are in alignment. It seems that they also wore masks to resemble the giants who are the gods of the four worlds. This celebration may have originated from the ancient tribe?s ceremonies as they wore masks to mark there own tradition. The ancient tribe may have celebrated when there Moon and the Sun came into alignment and to them it would be paying homage to the way that both nature and time are tirelessly in process of progressing. It marked there very tradition, but the people had changed it very slightly as they wore masks to resemble the Four Giants.

I can see that the Four Giants may be linked to this, after all they were just like everyone else, and they were normal people back then. I believe something occurred during the festivities that made them the shear size they are now. The scene on the Moon with the Four Kids running around and the one wearing Majora?s mask definitely rings a bell. We know that the Four Giants abandoned the imp to depart to the Four Worlds this scene exactly shows that. The imp on his own wearing Majora?s Mask and the Four Giants leaving him on his own. It makes so much sense now, and to back it up, the Four Giants were originally humans right, I believe there images on the Moon ?exactly? depict them as they were all those years ago. These Four Kids wore the exact same masks too; they designed them and from there on, people would forever wear masks to resemble them as if they were human again. Majora used the idea of the Masks and turned them into evil guardians to imprison them deep within there own Four Worlds. You see the, Odolwa, Goht, Gyorg and Twinmold Masks were what the Four Giants used to wear when they were human, makes sense doesn?t it? That is why you see them on the Moon wearing them, the Moon scene opens up so much and by looking at it you can clearly see that this resembles the exact incident when the Four Giants left the Skull Kid. This is only my theory but there is so much that makes a lot of sense now. It seems the Four Giants were closer than I expected to my study, they definitely had crucial significance with Majora and the imp.

The Four Giants are certainly remarkable looking beings, they are gigantic yet each seems to resemble each other exactly. According to the story of The Four Giants, it seems that long ago the people weren?t separated into four worlds like they are now. They all lived together and the four giants lived among them. This could mean that even the races like the Dekus and Gorons lived in Clock Town. Or was Clock Town even built then? It?s not really known but according to the story on the day of the festival that celebrated the harvest, the giants spoke to the people:
    ?We have chosen to guard the people while we sleep??100 steps north, 100 steps south, 100 steps east, 100 steps west.? ?If you have need, call us in a loud voice declaring something such as, ?The mountain blizzard has trapped us.? ?Or the ocean is about to swallow us, your cries shall carry to us.?
    It seems that the Four Giants may have been gigantic in size at the time and they departed to the four corners, or they may have taken the tribes with them and created there very own world for only them to inhabit in privacy. I am not precisely sure what happened but it seems after living with there people, the giants were ?chosen? or ?destined? to protect the people and give them each there own space and land. So on the eve of the Carnival the Four Giants must made there last speeches and as it says one went 100 steps north, another 100 steps south etc. From there they created the four worlds and each tribe belonged to a certain environment in which they were immune and accustomed too. As you know there was one who was shocked and saddened by there departure, a little imp. The imp was a friend of the giants since before they had created the four worlds. He exclaimed: ?Why must you leave?? ?Why do you not stay?? The childhood friend felt neglected and so he spread his anger across the four worlds. Repeatedly he had wronged all people.

These four great prodigious beings certainly played a fundamental role in Termina?s rapid contrary. I am now contemplating the possible assumptions and explanations of the early ancient period of Termina. It is stated that ?When Hyrule was created by the three goddesses at the beginning of time, there were certain side effects of its creation which Din, Nayru and Farore did not anticipate. It is also stated that ?As the three holy women breathed life into the world and chased away Emptiness, their potent breath slipped through tiny cracks in the folds of space and created millions of alternate worlds in the process?. This could explicate the true ?logic? on the creation of Termina. It might also justify why the people of Termina have exact distinct similarities with the people of Hyrule. It?s very apprehensible that the people of Termina have completely different occupations and personalities to those of Hyrule. They make look the same but infact they are completely different people. It is not a mere duplication here, its something more elaborate and in-depth, something must have occurred when this ?potent? breath breathed life in the world of Termina. It could have been very conceivable that at this time of creation, the very first civilizations were thriving. This could include the ancient tribe that created Majora?s Mask. Many refer these people as the ?Majora? tribe, it?s very likely that there race was named after there great god. It makes sense that before Clock Town and the Four Worlds were created, this ancient civilization could have existed, with it living this very tribe and many others. These may have flourished for many hundreds of years, before the malevolent powers of Majora had caused destruction to the entire land. From here then, Clock Town was formed and the Four Giants had been born along with the races of the Four Worlds yet to be created. Its very possible that where Clock Town stands now was where the ancient civilization existed.

This ancient civilization may have consisted of stone built pyramids or temples similar to many of the past human cultures here on earth. These ancient people as I have mentioned previously, possessed many strange, magical and mysterious powers. There nation was very cultivated and consisted of vast immaculate stone structures to which they appealed to during there sacred rituals. It was possible that the Moon played a vital role in there worship, since they appealed to the Moon pretty much all time. The Moon was essential to there lives and religion they believed the moon possessed omnipotent powers and the ?gift of freedom?. What I am saying here is that this race could have been the first ?ever? to have existed and flourished on Terminian grounds. They wore strange mysterious masks consisting of many vibrant colors and strange patterns. These masks they wore represented the core of there religion, if one had not worn one it would be a sign that they were not one of them. It was a ?symbol? of there religion, and those who wore them were among the many others in this ancient tribe and were declared to be ?one of them?. They built many temples and edifices from stone or granite and had used various tools to shape them and secure them into place (similar to the ancient Egyptians). After many years they were of course jeopardized by the powers of Majora and therefore there entire civilization and race were completely obliterated. I may seem a little too unrealistic, depending on who you are but I believe this ?may? be quite possible and might have really occurred.

After many years Clock Town was then built and the Four Giants were among many of the first existing beings. When many years had passed the many different tribes lived among each other until the Four Giants had created the Four Worlds. It is stated that ?during the eve Carnival of Time the Clock Tower would open and then an ancient song was sung?. This is probably referring to the Oath to Order, the song that calls all Four Giants to the Clock Tower. It may have been possible that back then the Carnival of Time was not only to celebrate the harvest but to bring the Four Giants into congregation. This would be the once in a year celebration and one of main purposes of this tradition was to bring the giants forward and the people could speak out to them and worship them like gods. This is according to the story of the Four Giants:

Now then?There was one who was shocked and saddened by all this. A little imp. The imp was a friend of the giants since before they created the four worlds. ?Why must you leave?? Why do you not stay??
    The childhood friend felt neglected so he spread his anger across the four worlds. Repeatedly he had wrong all people. Overwhelmed with misfortune, the people sang the song of pray to the giants who lived in each of the four compass directions. The giants heard there cry and responded with a roar. ?Oh imp. Oh, imp. We are the protectors of the people.? ?You have caused the people pain. Oh, imp, leave these four worlds! Otherwise, we shall tear you apart!? The imp was frightened and saddened. He had lost his old friends. The imp returned to the heavens, and harmony was restored to the four worlds. And the people rejoiced and they worshipped the giants of the four worlds like gods.

So it seems according to this story that there was another imp crisis within the history, a completed unrelated imp to the present one who was manipulated by Majora?s Mask. It now seems to make a lot of sense; a past event that had occurred very long ago was once again reoccuring, D?j? vu so to speak. Or could this be the very same imp? That is a question that may never have a true logic answer, but it is certainly intriguing to assume that it is a possibility. The story mentions though that he returned to the ?heavens?, did this mean as in the skies above? Or was there another meaning to this so called ?heavens?. It seems though that the only thing that could disprove of the possibility of it being the same imp is that this occurred long ago by the looks of it. This is a ?story? after all, stories are not all necessary true but it?s the only piece of information we have of the Four Giants and is vital evidence even if it isn?t all logical. I have also noticed that in the story it states the ?people? sang the song of pray to call the Four Giants. It may be a different imp after all and if you observe the scene of the Call of the Four Giants, then this could have been very similar to what happened all those years back...if it did happen

• Wow... You weren't kidding about a long read.

A very interesting piece. I enjoyed how you tied some things together (especially the Dark Link battle setting, with the inside of the Moon). This definately explained a lot of things, and makes me more interested in Majora's Mask.
    I also enjoyed the description on how the mask was supposedly made, and the "rivaling" mask, Fierce Deity.

Though there are some slight flaws (not necessarily related to the theories and observations), this is definately an interesting read for a Zelda fan who looks in-depth at... err, Zelda things. :P

BIG thanks to Shrukan for the Darkrai sig and Fan banner thing!!
    -Also known as Stelie (in Relosc), and Steelblast (a Decepticon).-

Quote from Muigi

[Today 01:46 PM] Muigi: Godzilla could kick that beached-whale monster's ass anyday.

• Cheers bro, took some time to write and I admit there are some minor flaws in there but overall I think I covered what I wanted to convey sorta-ish.

• I wasn't aware there was a manga for MM? I'm not sure on whole canon thing I mean we can't be sure but I guess its just nice to speculate and theorize about.