• I've been watching Fruits Basket for the first time. 2019, not the original.

I'm only about a third of the way into Season 2, but IMHO they should've cut 80% of the episodes about upper class animal boys failing to cope with their own bullshit insecurities.

They should have more episodes about girls loving and supporting one another through poverty and violence. Those are the ones that keep reducing me to tears, and which push me to endure the animal boy episodes while I wait for more stories of healthy friendships.

• Fruit Baskets (older version) had been on my list for so long. I heard the newer one is more faithful to the original so I am now more inclined to try that version first.

So I don't know about the episodes, but maybe the impact in those episodes work because they only make the 20% of the series and the rest is to zone you out of that mood. That being said, sounds like they coukd do with more interesting stories or varied themes tying the episodes together.

To be honest, I've avoided it because typically the same people that swore I'd love Ouran High School said this was a must too, so I was kind of wary it wasn't going to be up my alley.

• Hahaha, yeah, it is of a type.

You make a good point. The impact of those episodes would be lessened if they composed more of the show. None the less I find the protagonist's "mundane" school friends to be wildly more interesting than anything the Soma family is doing.

I cannot speak to whether the original or the remake is a better choice, having only watched the remake. I'd kinda like to go back and watch the original when I get the chance.

• Hahaha, yeah, it is of a type.

Hahaha. I'll count myself warned. Being a type on itself is not a deal breaker, so I'd give it a go.

You make a good point. The impact of those episodes would be lessened if they composed more of the show. None the less I find the protagonist's "mundane" school friends to be wildly more interesting than anything the Soma family is doing.

I cannot speak to whether the original or the remake is a better choice, having only watched the remake. I'd kinda like to go back and watch the original when I get the chance

It'd be interesting if you end up seeing the older series too and see how it compares in your opinion, specially if the Soma family is not getting your attention here.

• I don't expect the old show will solve any of the problems I have. Most fans of the old show describe it as being nostalgic for them, or being sillier than the remake.

But who knows? Maybe! Hopefully I'll find a convenient copy of it somewhere.

• I actually just got all caught up with where the show is so far! The whole thing is a quality roller coaster. They'll have 3~5 episodes in a row that area really good, then 3~5 that feel like pointless filler that doesn't go anywhere. Near the end my partner very nearly quit watching, but then the last half-dozen episodes were great! They had actual character growth and moved the narrative forward a step.

I would like to continue watching it as it goes, though I'm terrible at keeping up with shows as they run. So we will see.

• Wow, I now I wonder if that's how the pace is in the manga or if the pace just been handled poorly. It's great to hear that even though your partner was so close to call it quits the series had better episodes that lifted the bar and actually had character growth.

I would like to continue watching it as it goes, though I'm terrible at keeping up with shows as they run. So we will see.

That's a problem for me too, I always end up lagging behind. I tried to watch my hero academy and now I am behind a few seasons because even after the season comes out, I rather wait for all the episodes on the season to be out and sometimes I forget by then, haha. Life gets in the way and now I am a season or two behind. Whoops.
    I tend to favor complete series. The only ongoing series I've watched recently have been the ones on Netflix.
    I've been thinking in trying to watch some crunchy roll, maybe this series is something to keep in mind if I do.

• It's worth a watch if you've got crunchyroll. :)

I also tend to favor completed series. I wouldn't have started watching it, I think, if I knew it was ongoing. When I started I thought I was watching an anime from 2001! :P