Deoxys: Excluded.

• I suppose this works.

The main reason I was going to buy this game -- Super Smash Bros. Brawl -- was if Deoxys was playable. After viewing so many supporters, and actually hearing he was noted in Sakurai's journal, it gave me hope.
    He had a special place in the games, and in the Pokemon show, where he's appeared in a movie and in a special.
    Not only that, a VOTING took place in Japan a little while ago, and he was voted the most popular movie character out of all (at the time) 9 movies.

Now he is in a Pokeball. This is about as poor an excuse as Assist Trophies. And Hyper Beam... I'm okay with that, because if Mewtwo is in Brawl, he could use Psycho Boost. But who's to say Mewtwo will be back playable? The highly-supported Deoxys in a Pokeball... Mewtwo could suffer a similar fate.
    And the one thing that just... pisses me off to no end is that Sakurai even NOTED IN TODAY'S ENTRY -- 07/17/07 -- that DEOXYS was POPULAR. A game for all-stars, and he throws out a character that's...

POPULAR.

That's about as bad as not having Sonic (except nowhere near as bad/chaotic).

I'm not really much for complaining -- honestly, I hate hearing it, and hearing myself just sounds awful -- but THIS... was the main reason I was going to get Brawl.
    I'm still buying it, yes. It just won't feel right. Just like the cutting of older characters.

...I'm hopeless, aren't I? :P

BIG thanks to Shrukan for the Darkrai sig and Fan banner thing!!
    -Also known as Stelie (in Relosc), and Steelblast (a Decepticon).-

Quote from Muigi

[Today 01:46 PM] Muigi: Godzilla could kick that beached-whale monster's ass anyday.

• So basically you're not going to buy Brawl because Deoxy is not playable? >.<

• Err..hem... :)

Quote from Steelia

I'm not really much for complaining -- honestly, I hate hearing it, and hearing myself just sounds awful -- but THIS... was the main reason I was going to get Brawl.
    I'm still buying it, yes. It just won't feel right. Just like the cutting of older characters.

Quote from Muigi

[Today 01:46 PM] Muigi: Godzilla could kick that beached-whale monster's ass anyday.

• Quote from Steelia

A lost cause, I'm afraid. XD

If Mewtwo was playable in Melee, I don't see why he'd be cut to becoming a simple Pokemon in a Pokeball. He was one of the more original secret characters (I'm looking at you, Ganondorf.) with an actual original moveset.

Also, I'm not too sure why Deoxys was popular in the first place. Was he supposed to be like Mewtwo or something? Please explain this to me so I can know this situation a bit better.

So I have a girl in my sig, big whoop, wanna fight about it?
    Sprites! < Still a W.I.P.

Quote from The Shoutbox

*Muigi has banned the user YOUR FACE from the shoutbox*

http://muigi01.deviantart.com/ Feel free to stop by!

• To answer that, Muigi... I suppose you could say that. Deoxys was similar to Mewtwo, at least in terms of power. Both were Psychic-types, however...
    (Hope you're in for a LOOOOONG read. XP )

The DEOXYS Factor

No.: 386
    Type(s): PSYCHIC

QUESTIONS and ANSWERS:

Q: What is Deoxys? I've never heard of this guy.
    A: :o
    Deoxys is a virus that underwent a strenuous DNA mutation when struck by a ray out in space. It is the only Pokemon by far that was created in space (an "alien", if you will).

Q: What makes Deoxys unique?
    A: Deoxys is the only Pokemon to transform into different forms. (Pictures above.) In their respective orders: Basic, where its stats are relatively evened, with superior Attack, Sp. Attack and Speed; Attack form, where its Attack and Sp. Attack are greatly heightened (it is the only Pokemon to surpass Mewtwo in terms of Sp. Attack power), and excellent Speed, but some of the lowest defenses in the game; Defense form, where its Attacks and Speed are traded in for outstanding Defense powers; and Speed, where its defenses and attacks are evened, but Speed is vastly superior (the fastest Pokemon to date).

Q: Where do you find Deoxys?
    A: Deoxys can be found in the following: FireRed on Birth Island (in Attack Form), LeafGreen on Birth Island (in Defense form), Emerald on Birth Island (in Speed form), and in a special event in Japan in commemoration of the 10th movie (in Basic form).

Q: Why would anyone want Deoxys in Brawl? Rephrased: Why this Pokemon, out of all the others?
    A: If you've read the above, you probably figured out that it IS a unique Pokemon. Imagine it transforming into all said forms: Attack form when attacking, Defense form when dodging or blocking, Speed form when running or executing faster moves, and Basic form when idle, walking, or using basic techniques.
    Tell me of any other Pokemon, let alone character, that can do the same as this in any Nintendo game.

Q: What has Deoxys contributed to the Pokemon series?
    A: Quite a bit, actually.
    Where do I begin?
    -Deoxys has appeared in a Pokemon movie, in America known as "Destiny Deoxys." It fights against Rayquaza, and is in search for another Deoxys it lost a long time ago after crash landing on Earth.
    -Deoxys is in the Pokemon Mystery Dungeon series, and was actually in a meteor that was supposed to destroy the planet!
    -Deoxys is in Pokemon Ranger, in the first special mission you unlock after completing the game: Gain Deoxys's Trust?!
    -Deoxys has appeared in its own special for the anime, where a Pokemon Ranger must calm it (inspired by the game).
    -Deoxys is one of very few Pokemon to be obtainable in events. You get it via FireRed/LeafGreen/Emerald with a special "ticket" used to travel to its island, Birth Island. To fight it, you must figure out a puzzle first, and after successfully completing that it will float from the heavens to fight you. It even has its own battle music! And upon capture, it automatically transforms into whatever form designed for the game (Attack for FR, Defense for LG, Speed for E).
    -In Pokemon Diamond/Pearl, there are meteorites found in Veilstone City, used to transform Deoxys into whatever form you desire. These meteorites are EXCLUSIVE to Deoxys.
    -Deoxys is the main star in a long-running manga in Japan. It even faces off against Mewtwo, and has the upperhand throughout a majority of the battle because of its ability to create illusions and transform.
    -Deoxys was even introduced by NASA, in order to teach children about science (such as the term DNA, the definition of extraterrestrial, the ozone layer's importance, etc.).
    -And one of the biggest points about it: Recently, a poll was held to choose the most popular movie Pokemon (there were nine Pkmn movies at this point, and many contenders, including Mewtwo, Lugia, Entei, a Latios and Latias combo, Celebi, Jirachi, Deoxys, Manaphy, and a Lucario and Mew combo). And the winner was... none other than Deoxys. It came in a special Cherish Ball, and was Level 50 upon download.

If THAT isn't enough for it to be popular and important in the Pokemon lore, I don't know what is.

--Q & A ends here--

Any more questions? :P

Quote from Muigi

• Quote from Steelia

Deoxys is a virus that underwent a strenuous DNA mutation when struck by a ray out in space. It is the only Pokemon by far that was created in space (an "alien", if you will).

Ok, most Legendary Pokemon have a backstory, like Mewtwo.

Quote from Steelia

What makes Deoxys unique?

Most Legendary Pokemon are totally unique without anyone having their uniuqe component (btw Deoxys is Psychic; not the most unique Legendary type, I'm just saying)

Quote from Steelia

Q: Where do you find Deoxys?
    A: Deoxys can be found in the following: FireRed on Birth Island (in Attack Form), LeafGreen on Birth Island (in Defense form), Emerald on Birth Island (in Speed form), and in a special event in Japan in commemoration of the 10th movie (in Basic form).

Oh, and there aren't other Pokemon available ONLY through events and/or action replay?

Quote from Steelia

[i]Imagine it transforming into all said forms: Attack form when attacking, Defense form when dodging or blocking, Speed form when running or executing faster moves, and Basic form when idle, walking, or using basic techniques.

So it looks a little cooler in Brawl by transforming -.-

Quote from Steelia

Quite a bit, actually.

Other Pokemon have been in movies, Legendary in dungeons, etc. and have done w/e in games like played big parts. (ie: being on the cover)

Quote from Steelia

-Deoxys has appeared in its own special for the anime, where a Pokemon Ranger must calm it (inspired by the game).

Oh, and Deoxys is the ONLY Pokemon in anime?

Quote from Steelia

-Deoxys was even introduced by NASA, in order to teach children about science (such as the term DNA, the definition of extraterrestrial, the ozone layer's importance, etc.).

Not the first Pokemon to be based off of something.

Quote from Steelia

Recently, a poll was held to choose the most popular movie Pokemon (there were nine Pkmn movies at this point, and many contenders, including Mewtwo, Lugia, Entei, a Latios and Latias combo, Celebi, Jirachi, Deoxys, Manaphy, and a Lucario and Mew combo). And the winner was... none other than Deoxys. It came in a special Cherish Ball, and was Level 50 upon download.

Hmm... I thought some of those Legendary Pokemon were already obtainable... is it possible they wanted a Pokemon they couldn't get?

I'm terribly sorry but some of the arguments you made are transparent...

Sorry if I was angry XD just wanted to make a point XD

I'm psychic. When you see "-*-" my powers activate.

• Yes, I see your points. Don't worry; I was just making a reply to Muigi's post on how I saw Deoxys. :)

Yehh, there's quite a few flaws in there... but compared to Pkmn like Blaziken whom people want (I don't think I've seen Blaz in any special, besides the Deoxys movie, or have any particular effect on the Pokemon series, unlike Deoxys AT LEAST being represented by NASA)... ehh. Just opinions.

And as for the voting, why not pick Lugia? He's just about as tough to obtain as Deoxys. Same with Mew, or even both Latios/Latias are hard to come by. Even CELEBI and Jirachi were available! And Celebi you can't find anywhere.
    But yes, that would be the only drawback on having that voting as an argument.

As for the Event Pokemon, I know Deoxys isn't the only one... Others include (in the 3rd gen games) Lugia, Ho-oh, Latios/Latias, and Mew, but it's very unlikely any of them will be playable (even if Mew has some chance than the others).

Oh, and for the backstory, it was just to explain how Deoxys came to be. Nothing special.

Deoxys, not being the most unique Legendary type, I can see, but it's the only one I know of that can transform... Even if Arceus has the Plate-holding ability, it still can't change its physical state and stats like Deoxys can. The only other I know can do something like that is Burmy/Wormadam, but those two DEFINATELY aren't being playable. Same goes for Shellos/Gastrodon, and Castform. XD

The "Imagine it transforming into all said forms" was just for visualization. Nothing special there, either. :X

For contributions, I just wanted to point out what it has done, so not to make it look like it's just "another" Pokemon... You don't see Pkmn like Raticate or Wooper doing much for the community, except being overused by Pkmn Trainers in the games. :P

For the anime, I noted it was in a SPECIAL. Only a select few have had their specials... Raikou, Moltres and Celebi being a few... and, again, they have as much a chance as being playable as Burmy/Wormadam. (Mewtwo was in a special of his own... and, as we know, he has a high chance of returning in Brawl, so I won't argue with/against him.)
    Now, had there been a lot more specials (like for every Pokemon in the series), there wouldn't be much I could say about that...

...Well, my futile attempt to explain some parts of my post. Hope it cleared up a thing or two, though.

Quote from Muigi

• Hm, I thought I heard at one point Nintendo said that the anime isn't related to the Pokemon franchise or something. Maybe I heard wrong...

Also, that description is very informative, Steelia, but I have at least one complaint.

You say that, if Deoxys WAS playable in Brawl, he'd transform during his different movements. To me, that would be just too much trouble for just one character. It would be a lot of trouble to go through just to have him do all those moves you said, as it would require a lot of hard work from Sora to do something like that. That'd be like having Mario transform into his different forms he's aquired in all of his games for a moveset, it's just too much trouble for its own good. Sure, it would be cool to see, but it would also more than likely take up too much space and memory for other options, wouldn't you agree?

Also, since Deoxys is a Pokemon summon, what if the other three forms of him appeared as different Pokemon summons as well? It's just a theory, though, so I can't say it would be a solid idea, but I figured I'd just throw it out there.

So I have a girl in my sig, big whoop, wanna fight about it?
    Sprites! < Still a W.I.P.

Quote from The Shoutbox

*Muigi has banned the user YOUR FACE from the shoutbox*

http://muigi01.deviantart.com/ Feel free to stop by!

• ^ Yes, that was something I had heard, that Deoxys's ability of transforming would get in the way of his actual character... I suppose that was one of the main reasons he was made as a Pokeball Pkmn, despite his stated popularity.

I've heard that as well, with his other forms being Pokeball summons... Some even speculate that his "Basic" form will come later as actually playable, while his Speed/Attack/Defense forms will be in Pokeballs. Doesn't make much sense to me, but if it works out that way, I'll have no complaints.
    Another theory is this: in his movie, there were two Deoxys, one with a green sphere, the other blue. The one in the pictures has a blue orb. Some say the green-chested one will be playable. Ehh.

Quote from Muigi