The Official Super Smash Bros Brawl Thread

• Today's update: HANDICAPS

Be kind to beginners! If all you do in brawls is beat up people who don?t know left from right, they?ll never understand the rules of the game, right?

So until now, I?ve always made sure to include handicaps in each game in the series.

But, I began to think that there isn?t much thrill in just making yourself weaker, so I changed the system.

First, find the Handicap option on the Rules screen.

Then you?ll see something new.

Click-click-click! Ratchet up the handicap.

You start with your initial damage meter boosted, even after you get KO'd!

The strength of each character doesn?t change, so then you can show your skills to your opponent!

Also, you can use this not only for handicapping, but also for starting all players at the same damage?it?ll give you matches with a slightly different feel.

Now, I?ve also kept the auto-handicap feature. This gradually increases the starting damage for the winner of the match.

I guess this means Super Sudden Death is gone, huh?

So I have a girl in my sig, big whoop, wanna fight about it?
    Sprites! < Still a W.I.P.

Quote from The Shoutbox

*Muigi has banned the user YOUR FACE from the shoutbox*

http://muigi01.deviantart.com/ Feel free to stop by!

• Double post for great justice.

Today's update was all Meta Knight, since we got a little more info on his moves AND we got his theme from Kirby Super Star.

B: Mach Tornado

Tap the button to rise off the ground.

B >: Drill Rush

You can change your direction slightly when you use this move.

B ^: Shuttle Loop

Rise up while your sword rises up. This move will allow you to glide afterwards.

B v: Dimensional Cape

This one is kinda like using a shield, as you disappear and can reappear somewhere else.

Use the Dimensional Cape as a precursor to an attack. If you just can?t get the opportunity, then forget about attacking.

Next update:
    "Kirby: Meta Knight?s Revenge" (1:22)

*song is on the site*

I was just thinking how it?s been more than ten years since I made this game...

It was in Kirby Super Star that Meta Knight rode out on the Battleship Halberd to govern Dream Land. This is a jazz arrangement of the music from back then.
    WELL? How do you like it?!

After going with the "serious touch" of the Halberd for the Kirby stage, I?m now thinking that maybe this overly peppy song is a little incongruous...

I like the beat to this song. Definitely a song I'll be Brawlin' to.

DISCUSSION

Quote from The Shoutbox

• Even among Smash players, there are some people who just aren’t that good at action games. With that in mind, I’ve been thinking about how I can convey the fun of Smash to newcomers. I’ve been thinking about this type of thing since long before I joined this industry.

So, for this game, I’ve prepared a new kind of mode. It’s called Spectator, and you’ll find it in the With Anyone menu. If I had to describe it in a word, it’s "watching!"

You can enjoy watching matches between other people!

This mode is a service where Nintendo uses Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection to send the data for games played between other people to every Smash household.

Match selection is handled automatically, and absolutely no names of any players can be seen. It feels like there’s a continuous broadcast of matches on your television! Even if you don’t play, you can enjoy the battles of other characters!

And at the beginning of each match, you can even bet coins on the character you think will win.

I’ll bet some coins. I’ve got a winner!

Glean what hints you can from the stages and combatants and try to deduce the winner.

Of course, if your pick wins, your coin count will increase! And the more players in a match, the higher the payout. There may even be extra prizes.

Even if you lose, you can get some stickers.

Just to make sure there’s no mistaking that just watching a match can be fun, we’ll be passing out stickers left and right.

For those of you who want to cooperate with our data collection for Spectator mode, set Allow Spectators to Yes in your Wi-Fi Options. This will result in your play data occasionally being sent to Nintendo.

This setting is in your Wi-Fi Options.

The content that is broadcast is the same for everyone spectating (if your connection timing is the same), so it should be fun to have people in different environments watch and cheer the same match.

To be shocked by impressive play, or to bust a gut laughing at some accident will be quite fun! Perhaps you can use it as reference for your own matches.

Hopefully this mode is something that even people who aren’t good at games can enjoy.

Here's the update for today. I'm confused about it. o.O

• This is one of his dumber updates if you ask me. The coin thing makes it a bit worthwhile, but why would anyone want to watch others brawl when they could be fighting in their own match?
    This is one I won't be using much....

East side love is living on the west end.

In Soumasian: M?verik Ari?n

• Today's update: Ice Climbers' Final Smash - ICEBERG

They do a high five....

....then this happens. A giant iceberg fills the entire stage.

When I said entire stage, I meant it.

Ice doesn?t just make the available ledges smaller and more slippery, but it also damages your opponents!

But, of course, the Ice Climbers can handle it no problem. They look as cool and refreshed as ever.

Get off mah land!

DISCUSSION!

Quote from The Shoutbox

• Whos Sakurai?

Sakurai is the creator of Kirby and the SSB series, and is the director of Brawl.
    The guy that runs the site gets info straight from the developers themselves and translates their update so that we can understand what they're saying.

Anyways, double update today.

First, update of the Smart Bomb and return of Electrode Pokemon.

This time, both the Smart Bomb and Electrode may not explode when used!

Next update is the return of Training mode.

Like you really thought this was leaving...

DISCUSSION

Quote from The Shoutbox

• Well at least we have a small hope of grabbing him now... XD

Bombs from Star Fox, interesting. (and duh, training's back but I knew that the instant I saw the title of the game lol)

I'm psychic. When you see "-*-" my powers activate.

• Today's update is interesting, as it's about the different costumes your character can wear.

You can change the color of your character by pressing buttons on the character-selection screen!

This is one of the many joys of Smash. This time, each character has about six different color variations.

What's this?! Dark Link?!

This is the Zelda of old.

Th-those... I've seen those before somewhere...

Snake changed his camouflage!

The end result is a great wealth of varieties, so I hope you?ll all find your favorite color combinations.

I tried to post ones that were most interesting, and as this being a Zelda forum, I posted the Zelda ones first. There's also Fire Mario and DK as a yeti.

DISCUSSION

Quote from The Shoutbox

• Today has a new AT.

Saki Amamiya appears from Sin & Punishment: Successor to the Earth! This title is currently available via the Virtual Console.

Guess who.

He uses his weapon, the Cannon Sword, which combines a sword and a gun into one to slice and shoot!

Ike gets owned by multiple slashes.

Saki jumping AS HIGH AS THE-*shot to death because of annoying Sonic X quote*

BANG! He fires his cannon!

As with the original title, he speaks in English.

He rivals just about any main character. There were many requests from users for his inclusion, and he IS pretty cool, so I did what I could to include him. After all, this game does let you enjoy a dream cast of supporting characters!

Never heard of Sin & Punishment, mainly because the game never came stateside. xD

EDIT:
    http://www.mother-jp.net/times/20071121.html
    Translated version:

CoroCoro Comics have announced that they will reveal the roster for Brawl in a magazine hitting the stands (in Japan of course) on the 15th of December. If you’re unfamilar with CoroCoro they have previously featured information on Nintendo’s games, notably they exculsively revealed Pokemon: Diamond and Pearl.

What’s unclear is just how much of the roster will be revealed. It’s currently unkown if CoroCoro will feature the starting characters or the entire roster. If a full reveal seems unlikely it is worth noting that Brawl is set for a Japanese release in Jan of 08′, just one month after the magazine release.

If you doubt this information would be revealed outside of the dojo it has already been done. Twice now the site has updated the site after a media release. Once on E3 and again with the news of Sonic joining the fight. While some have been awaiting the Dec 3rd update, which was Brawls previous release date, the update on the 15th might be the one to watch for.

DISCUSSION

Quote from The Shoutbox

• <PK Starstorm>

Lucas?s Final Smash is PK Starstorm! It?s a move in which he unleashes a rapid barrage of meteorlike PSI power.

After a fierce battle, he gets the Smash Ball!

P...K....

STARRRRRRRRSTORRRRRRRRRM!

As the star storm continues, the tension increases. They all rain down at once.

Can you possibly escape it?!

It may be that it?s less advantageous on larger stages and more advantageous on smaller ones. There are a variety of moves like this that have clear advantages and disadvantages depending on the terrain.

DISCUSSION!