• Remember that Nintendo 64 Kid video? That's a moment he and I shared. I got my N64 on Christmas morning, and I was fucking *floored.* My parents never did that kinda stuff. Video games were something that rich kids had. Having video games for myself for the first time was totally unexpected and delightful.

I also have fond memories of strapping rubber bands all over my controller so I could input the code in Shadows of the Empire.

• Remember that Nintendo 64 Kid video? That's a moment he and I shared. I got my N64 on Christmas morning, and I was fucking *floored.* My parents never did that kinda stuff. Video games were something that rich kids had. Having video games for myself for the first time was totally unexpected and delightful.

I also have fond memories of strapping rubber bands all over my controller so I could input the code in Shadows of the Empire.

Haha why rubber bands?

33eii50.jpg

SUBSCRIBE to my Youtube channel for a variety of skits and gaming

• Official Post

My fondest memory of the N64 is going over to my friend's house in 1st Grade and playing it. That was way back in 2006, when the Wii came out. I feel old....

You're the youngest person on the forum, and literally half of my age. stfu

Haha why rubber bands?

Shadows of the Empire had an incredibly complex code. Essentially you had to hold down almost every button on the controller at once, then you had to move the control stick left and right extremely gently, something like 5 times. It was impossible to do with only two hands, so I held down most of the buttons with rubber bands.

Once you did get the code input, though, it unlocked a whole debug mode where you could change all sorts of neat stuff about the game.

• You're the youngest person on the forum, and literally half of my age. stfu

Shadows of the Empire had an incredibly complex code. Essentially you had to hold down almost every button on the controller at once, then you had to move the control stick left and right extremely gently, something like 5 times. It was impossible to do with only two hands, so I held down most of the buttons with rubber bands.

Once you did get the code input, though, it unlocked a whole debug mode where you could change all sorts of neat stuff about the game.

The things you do as a kid.

Man I feel like playing that game now.

I remember playing "Goldeneye" with my brother... in real life. He'd basically be the bad guys, or the guards I guess, in the backyard. I'd be Bond sneaking around with a cap gun and shooting him... We loved that game.

33eii50.jpg

• Official Post

Good guy brother, letting you be James Bond.

I'm struggling to remember specific good times I had with the console. I remember enjoying the games I played on it, but "I liked Donkey Kong 64" isn't really an entertaining story.

I remember I thought I was super cool when I figured out that the SNES and the N64 used the same RCA connection, so I could just plug the wire into the TV once, and switch the plug on the back of the console when I wanted to switch between the two.

• Official Post

I remember my parents used to rent cartridges at the same place they rented movies. It was pretty cool. I only remember QUEST 64. Which I didn't understand but I thought it was cool.

I remember I thought I was super cool when I figured out that the SNES and the N64 used the same RCA connection, so I could just plug the wire into the TV once, and switch the plug on the back of the console when I wanted to switch between the two.

I remember we had the antenna signal entry so I'd just put the second one in the output if the other or something like that. All I needed was to make sure I only used one at the time. I think it was the N64 and... I dunno, either ps1 or NES.

• Official Post

I remember my parents used to rent cartridges at the same place they rented movies. It was pretty cool. I only remember QUEST 64. Which I didn't understand but I thought it was cool.

Isn't QUEST 64 notoriously awful?

We never really rented games when I was a kid. But I do remember seeing Megaman in the video store and thinking it looked awesome. Not really an N64 era reminiscence though. =P

More in line with the topic at hand: As mentioned above, the N64 was the first console I ever owned myself. (I'd borrowed an NES for many years from my uncle, and played a lot of SNES at friends houses, but the N64 was the first one that was really mine). But before it was mine, my uncle had one.

My uncle was a cool dude. Only 10 years older than me, he was old enough that to me he was a grown up, but young enough that he was interested in cool things like computers and video games. Every time we went to my Grandma's house, I'd watch him play Goldeneye and Starfox 64. And sometimes he'd let me and the other kids get in on the action. We'd hotseat our way through Starfox, and try to keep the volume down so our parents didn't catch us playing Goldeneye. Which, of course, is far too violent for children.

By the by, about a year and a half ago, I plugged in my copy of goldeneye and played it with my younger siblings, who hadn't even been born yet when that game was popular. My sister Olivia was somehow really good at it, and beat all of us multiple times.

• Only 10 years older than me, he was old enough that to me he was a grown up, but young enough that he was interested in cool things like computers and video games.

That's like my Dad's youngest brother. I used to love playing Mario Kart 64 with him, although those occasions were rare.

Also I remember my brother had this friend that would come over now and then and we'd play from morning to late night Goldeneye, Mario Kart, Mario Party 2 & 3, Smash Bros. It was so exciting when he came over. My brother and I hardly played multiplayer, so it was nice having more than two players.

33eii50.jpg

• Official Post

Yeah, we were always the annoying kids to them, weren't we? Amusingly enough, I was 10 when one of my younger brothers was born. He tended to look up to me the same way I looked up to my uncle, and I tended to be annoyed by him the same way my uncle was annoyed by me. He and I are actually pretty close now, though.

I've never really had many people to play multiplayer with, so I never really developed a taste for competitive video games. It's something I try to do a little more often these days, but the venn diagram of the games that I like and the games that have multiplayer has only a very small intersection.

• Most of the good times were single player for me. Exploring Hyrule in OoT was just plain new and exciting. I remember my imagination went wild with what could be behind the tree/walls in Kokiri Forest and Lost Woods. Even though there probably was nothing.

Or finding the secret holes in the ground by bombing or playing the song of storms. It just got me going when something new was discovered.

33eii50.jpg

• Exploring Hyrule in OoT was just plain new and exciting.

I remember I thought Kokiri Forest was big... and then I stepped into Hyrule Field. The first time I played OoT I tried to explore as much as I could. I accidentally skipped Lake Hylia's cinematic introduction because I fell into the Gerudo area river.
    Darn owl would tell me I wasn't ready for Kakariko Village. Out of my way!

• The basement in Mario's castle gave me the creeps as a kid. Not even the part with the Boos in it, just the regular basement.

I kept thinking something was gonna come out from behind me.

Are you talking about the part with Lethal Lava Land in it? If so, yeah not so much it gave me the creeps, but it was annoying. Hazy Maze Cave was my least favourite world.

33eii50.jpg

• Yeah, the whole area with Lethal Lava Land and Shifting Sand Land, and the bunny that you have to catch. I dunno, I always thought something was gonna come up behind me while I was down there. No idea why.

I actually really like Hazy Maze Cave. It's not my favorite world, but it's pretty enjoyable I think. The worst one for me is probably Jolly Roger Bay. Tiny-Huge Island comes a close second.

• I really didn't like it. It was way too easy to fall off of it to your death. The specific stars weren't very fun to get. But I think the worst part is how hard it was to move around the environment. Everything was such a hassle.

• I really didn't like it. It was way too easy to fall off of it to your death. The specific stars weren't very fun to get. But I think the worst part is how hard it was to move around the environment. Everything was such a hassle.

I'm gonna have to replay it to see exactly what you mean, it's been a while.

33eii50.jpg