Super Mario 64 - Overrated?

• I personally think Super Mario 64 is overrated. I have to give it credit for inventing the player-controlled camera mechanic, though. However, the controls are too damn slippery. I never hear anyone complain about this, so it confuses me. What do you guys think? Do you think Super Mario 64 is overrated?

*insert something witty here*

• I guess it depends on how it's rated. There are people out there who place it on an impossible pedestal, and refuse to acknowledge its flaws. (Because certainly, it has flaws). Those people overrate the game.

But I do think it holds up as one of the best 3D platformers of all time. Certainly I like it a lot better than Super Mario Sunshine.

• Part of the reason I hate Sunshine is undoubtedly personal. I hate tropical settings. They bum me out. I don't know why. But having the entire game set on a tropical island was like having a foul smell in the room every time I played. Sure it didn't actually effect the challenges or puzzles, but it certainly didn't help.

But I also thought the challenges were kind of a bummer. The only fun thing about the FLUDD was the jetpack stuff. Anytime you had to aim the water jet at a target, or clean something up was lame. Not only was it boring, but it removed you from the flow of Mario's movement. M64 did a great job of making the game feel fluid. You were constantly in motion, running and jumping. Ironically, once they added a water machine, the game lost its fluidity.

I was also really disappointed that the game got rid of several of mario's moves from M64. I don't recall which they were. I think it was the U-Jump and the long jump?

I don't know if the 3D marios have improved since then. I never played Galaxy. The wiimote is annoying to use.

• I don't know if it is overrated. I never played it. But I like the colourful palette.
    It seems it is pretty glitchy. I think part of the appeal is that it was the first attempt to pass a Mario game to 3D and they did it in a good game. Even with its flaws in platform limits and stuff, it still holds up.

I saw Sardonic Pickle playing a pacman game in PS1 that was so unfair so I am not sure how close M64 is in comparison.

• Part of the reason I hate Sunshine is undoubtedly personal. I hate tropical settings. They bum me out. I don't know why. But having the entire game set on a tropical island was like having a foul smell in the room every time I played. Sure it didn't actually effect the challenges or puzzles, but it certainly didn't help.

But I also thought the challenges were kind of a bummer. The only fun thing about the FLUDD was the jetpack stuff. Anytime you had to aim the water jet at a target, or clean something up was lame. Not only was it boring, but it removed you from the flow of Mario's movement. M64 did a great job of making the game feel fluid. You were constantly in motion, running and jumping. Ironically, once they added a water machine, the game lost its fluidity.

I was also really disappointed that the game got rid of several of mario's moves from M64. I don't recall which they were. I think it was the U-Jump and the long jump?

I don't know if the 3D marios have improved since then. I never played Galaxy. The wiimote is annoying to use.

Please play Galaxy. It brings back all the moves Mario had like the long jump, and you don't HAVE to use the Wii pointer if you don't want to. Galaxy is best Mario. It's actually rated as one of the best games of all time by a lot of critics and non-critics.

*insert something witty here*

• I don't know if it is overrated. I never played it. But I like the colourful palette.
    It seems it is pretty glitchy. I think part of the appeal is that it was the first attempt to pass a Mario game to 3D and they did it in a good game. Even with its flaws in platform limits and stuff, it still holds up.

I saw Sardonic Pickle playing a pacman game in PS1 that was so unfair so I am not sure how close M64 is in comparison.

You NEVER PLAYED MARIO 64!?

This is a shock to me.

Also, it really isn't very glitchy. People have found a lot of glitchy exploits, but I've played the whole game beginning to end at least four times, and I've only ever found one glitch I can think of. And it's just a shortcut that allows you to save 0.4 seconds of travel time.

Please play Galaxy. It brings back all the moves Mario had like the long jump, and you don't HAVE to use the Wii pointer if you don't want to. Galaxy is best Mario. It's actually rated as one of the best games of all time by a lot of critics and non-critics.

I do own Galaxy, but at this point it's sealed up in a box. I'm currently playing a number of other games, but with you and Sardonic both telling me how great it is, I will absolutely make a point of trying it when I have the opportunity.

• Shunshine is ok, it's just too gimmicky

What things are gimmicky about Mario Sunshine?

You NEVER PLAYED MARIO 64!?

This is a shock to me.

Also, it really isn't very glitchy. People have found a lot of glitchy exploits, but I've played the whole game beginning to end at least four times, and I've only ever found one glitch I can think of. And it's just a shortcut that allows you to save 0.4 seconds of travel time.

That's good to know.

So what are your favorite stages guys?
    Which ones are of the worst ones?

If this game is overrated. I'd love to hear about more of what other players usually dismiss or minimise in order to put the game in a pedestal.

• What things are gimmicky about Mario Sunshine?
    That's good to know.

So what are your favorite stages guys?
    Which ones are of the worst ones?

If this game is overrated. I'd love to hear about more of what other players usually dismiss or minimise in order to put the game in a pedestal.

Well, both water levels suck. They really do. Also, I hate Tiny Huge island.

Also, while the camera is certainly good for its time, and was revolutionary in some ways, it has aged poorly. Really poorly.

Honestly, I think one of the best things about the game is just its engine and the way Mario moves. If one of the levels was a massive empty plane with nothing in it? I think I would still have fun just running and jumping. At least for a few minutes.

• I prefer Super Mario 64 over Sunshine, but Sunshine is in no way a bad game. Nostalgia aside, M64 is a fun game, with fun levels and the castle hub world is well designed.

M64 is indeed overrated when people say it's God's gift to gamers and praise it as flawless. I only prefer it over Sunshine as it's a true representation of what a 3D platformer should be to me. It's basically that. The 2D game design of the classics, brought into 3D. Some of the stars are just fun to get.

Sunshine's levels, although fun for the most part, just got a little bland for me. Plus the awful final boss fight and giving Bowser etc voice overs made my ears cry.

Fludd was cool though and I loved that element to the gameplay.

Quote from LinkSkywalker

I do own Galaxy, but at this point it's sealed up in a box. I'm currently playing a number of other games, but with you and Sardonic both telling me how great it is, I will absolutely make a point of trying it when I have the opportunity.

56854117_zpsfmxp6loi.jpg
    ...I couldn't resist.

• Never played it ... I think the best fun racing game was CTR ( crash team racing)on PlayStation 1.. I still play it with my sister and always use Tiny .. cuz Tiny Wins hahaha

Beauty is just the deception of the eye, if I cant see the ugliest and most beautiful are equal