In which difficulty are you playing Age of Calamity?

• Your preferred level of difficult? 2

1. Easy (0) 0%
    2. Normal (1) 50%
    3. Hard (1) 50%
    4. Very Hard (0) 0%

I started in normal and then moved to Hard. I figured I could switch to Very Hard and then replay older missions to farm for more valuable loot and EXP.

But seems like joke's on me, since the material quality and drops won't change, apparently to unlock skulltullas I need to use normal for the first and hard for the second, and other than rupees and a bit more EXP there is no much in the way of post-mission bonus.

So I guess I'll just drop back to normal for now. :P

Of course, I not very well informed. I just read some comments in Reddit and GameFAQs while trying not to get spoiler. So maybe I got this wrong.

Anyway, what difficult are you playing?

I made the votes public and retractable.

• I've come to have a strong preference for games that don't have metagame difficulty selectors. I feel like whenever I am asked to select a difficulty up front, I pick the wrong one. Either I pick 'hard' on games where it's far too punishing to be possible for a first time player, or I pick 'normal' in games where it's entirely too easy to be a fun challenge.

• I've come to have a strong preference for games that don't have metagame difficulty selectors. I feel like whenever I am asked to select a difficulty up front, I pick the wrong one. Either I pick 'hard' on games where it's far too punishing to be possible for a first-time player, or I pick 'normal' in games where it's entirely too easy to be a fun challenge.

I guess it is really hard to make a universal set. Depending on what we play and our skills, it can be that you and I can have completely different experiences in the same difficulty level of a game. That said, I too am bad at gauging what is the right difficulty set to optimize my experience with the game. Sometimes hard means that I am going to get thrown around without much of a chance to understand the mechanics.

Growing up, I used to shoot for hard, just because I needed to validate my ego and feel like an accomplished skilled gamer. Nowadays I tend to go with normal by default and only move upwards if I feel I will enjoy that. With this game, I based my choice on the past one where I had to increase to hard to collect and unlock a few things, so I felt it was still within my level, even if I had to grind more.

• Haha, I definitely remember trying to validate my ego by picking hard difficulty levels myself!

These days I will also usually play through a game on normal, but I really appreciate games—like Hades for example—where the game ramps up the difficulty as you get better.