Old Cartoons. (Nothing more recent than 1995)

• I'm a big fan of high-weirdness. So I always enjoy recommendations.

Two of my favorites are Thundarr the Barbarian:

And Ulysses 31: (Which was Japanese, but it was also French, so it's only half anime)

I know I really ought to watch He-Man. I just haven't gotten around to it yet.

• I thought I had already answered this and I did not save any kind of draft. I believe the reason was taht this thread send me into a spiral of nostalgia that ended with me hugging my butterscotch until near dawn watching old cartoon intros and lamenting the fact taht many of them I cannot really talk with someone enthusiast because they were part of the mexican television.

Fortunately, there were also many, many US shows dubbed for us and I lived near the border so I had access to a lot of those US morning cartoons. My mind is a mess remembering what things I watched in what languages sometimes. Also, since I did tried to answer this before I want to think I'll be able to post it now that I have some idea of shows I wanted to talk about.

Have you heard of the Wuzzles? I was crazy for taht as a kid. Would rent their stuff and hope they'd pass them on television. It is a disney cartoon in a world that mixed two animals into one creature. The episodes are centered in a group of friends and their adventures day by day. It was by disney and maybe I overrate it because of memories. I haven't tried to rewatch it but I'll gladly will if I get the chance. Anyway, this is the intro:

Another I used to watch was the anime version of The Wizard of Oz. They passed through Spanish television. It is pretty good. I would recommend it and I am trying to get the original dub I grew up with. Apparently it is close with the book and from I recall there is a bit of everything in it.

I was going to give you the original intron or the english dub but this one is catchier. Hahah.

Probably not what you had in mind but I suppose you already knew some of the classics. This might not be your cuppa but I thought it'd be fine to share them here anyway. I'd love to know what wacky cartoons did other members recall from that era.

• I've never watched any of the ones mentioned in this thread so far. I'll have to check them out when I have some free time.

If we're talking about old cartoons, does "Cow and Chicken" and "Beetlejuice" fall into this category? Those are the earliest cartoon shows I remember watching as a kid.

Cow and Chicken was probably after but Beetlejuice might actually make the 1995 limit cut.
    And I want to add that I freaking loved that show! ♥

• What's interesting about Beetlejuice, the animated series, is the fact that it was the first and probably only attempt of regular Cartoon Network animators to adapt to Tim Burton's drawing style. You know how recently some artists took it as a challenge to adapt various cartoon and tv shows characters to Tim Burton's style (such as Doctor Who and various Disney characters just to see what they would look like? Well, Beetlejuice was exactly the opposite of this. They took characters that had originally been created by Tim Burton and tried to adapt them as much as possible to a child-friendly, Cartoon Network-ish show. They do resemble Tim Burton's earlier cartoons (e.g.: Vincent), but also have a more Hanna & Barbera look to them and a more fluid way of moving than the stiff movements that are characteristic of Burton's cartoons.

• What's interesting about Beetlejuice, the animated series, is the fact that it was the first and probably only attempt of regular Cartoon Network animators to adapt to Tim Burton's drawing style. You know how recently some artists took it as a challenge to adapt various cartoon and tv shows characters to Tim Burton's style (such as Doctor Who and various Disney characters just to see what they would look like? Well, Beetlejuice was exactly the opposite of this. They took characters that had originally been created by Tim Burton and tried to adapt them as much as possible to a child-friendly, Cartoon Network-ish show. They do resemble Tim Burton's earlier cartoons (e.g.: Vincent), but also have a more Hanna & Barbera look to them and a more fluid way of moving than the stiff movements that are characteristic of Burton's cartoons.

It is pretty interesting. back in the day I didn't know that a movie existed until after the cartoon was well known and watching it you realise that the cartoon really took liberties with some aspects of the characters, including beetlejuice himself. Still you were sucked into a world of its own and I think it was a success. I don't think it is easy to adapt Tim Burton's style into child-friendly cartoons wand still keep the atmosphere vibe. The awakening of Beetlejuice from his grave in the opening of the second season still gets me.
    Honestly the past year were filled with grizzly reboots of fairy tales and recounts of old historical figures with a supernatural fantasy mixture. I hope the wheel turns around soon enough.

• I'm not sure if it counts but Woody Woodpecker is a personal favourite and so is Top Cat. I'm not sure if it's before 1995 but they feel like an old cartoon.

AL-banner468.png

Websites, Blogs, Forums & Content Creation

Need help with a project? I'm available to hire for a multitude of services including website design, setup & management, social media management and content creation. More information: Aakash Pereira - Personal Portfolio