Did you ever own this game?

• When I was a kid with my NES I didn't even knew of the existence of this game. By the time I found out the best way to legally obtain it was Nintendo's Virtual console download or finding second hand Gameboy Advance cartridge.

Even though now I have obtained them both, an original cartridge and a working NES, I haven't really sit down to play it yet, but it is in my bucket list.

So, how about you?
    Have you got this game? Have you ever played it? Did you get far?

• Official Post

My parents didn't like video games much, so I never actually owned anything myself until I was much older. However, my uncle let me borrow his NES when he got an SNES, and a buddy of mine let me borrow his shiny gold Legend of Zelda cart. So I did actually play LoZ way back in the days.

I never really figured out how to progress very far in the game, but I loved playing it. Every time I loaded it up I explored the world and fought the monsters for hours, without any kind of direction. Eventually I got one of the best pieces of equipment in the game without ever beating the first dungeon. I just kept killing monsters until I had hundreds of rupees, then bought the magic ring from the vendor beneath the Armos statue.

It wasn't until I was in my twenties that I gave the game a serious try. But it is difficult as all hell, with next to no direction for where you're supposed to go next.

• Official Post

That's pretty cool, LS. I think back then it was harder to have adult gaming relatives that it is now so kuddos to your uncle. It must have been pretty cool realising what you did later on. Sounds like you have pretty fond memories of it. :)

• Official Post

There really weren't that many adults who played video games in the 80s/90s. At least there weren't any in my life. But my Uncle is only 10 years older than I am. So while he was an "adult" to me, he was actually just a teenager himself at the time.

I do have fond memories of the original LoZ. There was a certain magic to the shiny gold cartridge. It was obviously special. The gold cart Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask weren't quite the same. They were more of a matte dark yellow. The LoZ cart had a different kind of finish. Very shiney and glittery. I think a lot of us at that age played it just to find out why it deserved to have such a special case.

I'd spend hours in the basement during the hot summer months. Hiding away from the sun and playing on that NES. Good times.