If you hate women, you might be bad at video games.

• Official Post

As they watched the games play out and tracked the comments that players made to each other, the researchers observed that — no matter their skill level, or how the game went — men tended to be pretty cordial to each other. Male players who were good at the game also tended to pay compliments to other male and female players.

Some male players, however — the ones who were less-skilled at the game, and performing worse relative their peers — made frequent, nasty comments to the female gamers. In other words, sexist dudes are literally losers.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-inter…ew-study-finds/

This is unfortunate for me, because I'm notoriously bad at video games. Which, I suppose, means I have to start treating women badly.

@Sardonic Pickle, you've got a smelly cunt.

• The only game where I regularly play online with strangers is Chivalry, which has a pretty decent community. Though it doesn't have voice chat the way a lot of other games do. And I guess there's WoW. I do enjoy playing games with other people, but I much prefer to play with people I know.

As to those who harass women...yeah. Fuckin losers. But we all already knew that, right?

• Official Post

Wow. Such compelling findings here. They mean to tell me people resort to put other people down as a cover and means to protect their limited skills and project a bigger image of themselves? Oh, just an excuse to cheer for girl powah. I've see this article in another forums but I like this topic title the best. :XD:

I have to agree that some people can be so mean spirited. I've had friends insult me while playing Mario Kart ir Smash but it is just the heat of the moment and I take it as a good thing. They trust me enough to open that side knowing I won't take it to heart, they treat me like they treat themselves while gaming even if I don't give it back as much as they wanted me too. It works and it gets quite funny.

Anyway what I mean is that not every man that says bad words to girls are doing it with the serious impulse to harm and should not be thrown together with the really venomous and malicious people that seeks to mine down other people's self esteem .

• Official Post

Of course, there's a vast gulf of difference between good natured trash talk, and the kind of bilious harassment that we often directed towards women online. It's a question, I think, of whether the words come from a place of anger, or from a feeling of competition.

As to the study, the way I understand it is this:

-There is a room full of men, and a cake.
    -Everybody in the room gets a piece of cake depending on how good they are at video games. The winners get big pieces, the losers get small pieces.
    -Some women come into the room.
    -The women also get pieces of cake depending on how good they are at video games.
    -The men who were winning don't care. They're still in the upper-half of video game players, so they still get good sized pieces of cake.
    -The men who were losing get angry. They're still losing, and now the piece of cake they're getting is really really small!
    -The loser men hate the women for taking all of the cake.
    -Except the cake was never real in the first place.
    -But the losers are still mad about it.

• That is the most sexist remark I have ever heard in my life. Like honestly, that's completely sterotypical, there is no ABSOLUTE evidence that would prove that. But, regardless of that. I suppose sometimes.. depending on the girl.. they can get a lil annoying and cause stress on the guy.. so besides that point, there are many things worst than saying, you dislike women because you're bad at video games. xD

• THE CAKE IS A LIE

Also, this is hilarious. I play dota online almost every day, but it's very rare you hear a female on voice chat. First time for me was actually just the other day. We all treated her nicely though. I kind of have this ridiculous hope that everyone is so mean in dota anyway that if yo play badly you'll get yelled at no matter which sex you are.

Wcjv02L.png

• Official Post

1130456186382.jpg

I mean, isn't everyone who makes that joke in 2015 a little slow?

It was used so much that every time I want to pull it off I get laughed at, so I avoided it till now. I still love it. Great wisdom. :P

• Holy Shrooms! That is going to give me nightmares for sure. :XD:

Out of joke that was a pretty nice explanation. It remind me the whole geeks versus real nerds arguments and how they feel robbed now with the "geeky is sexy" and calling hawt girls posers.

• Official Post

The frustrating thing is that I think there's a legitimate discussion to be had about cultural appropriation of the 'nerd community.' But the discussion got all fucked up because a bunch of losers decided to make the discussion about women, rather than about their frustration with their niche being absorbed by mainstream culture.

Of course, even the legitimate discussion seems a little frivolous to me. An academic curiosity, but not a real harm to anyone.