• Oh boy. This is a huge topic in the world of gaming. Water levels in video games. There are plenty of good ones, as well as bad ones. What are your opinion on water levels? They can be from any video game, as long as it has a water level. Since this is a Zelda forum, I'll start off the topic with the Water Temple from Ocarina of Time. To put it simply, I don't like it. I have nothing else to add, I just don't like it.

*insert something witty here*

• I was actually thinking about this recently: why do water areas still exist in games?

Everybody hates them. They're awful. The only good one I can think of is the one in LttP, and that one isn't even a proper water level. You're only actually swimming about 5% of the time.

Same goes for ice levels, actually.

• Clanker's Cavern in Banjo kazooie is a water and it's my favourite level. It depends if they're done right. I enjoy the water temple more as an adult than I did as a kid for some reason.

I don't like wet dry world in super mario 64, probably the worst world for me.

The name "wet dry world" even tells you that it sucks.

*insert something witty here*

• I like Ocarina of Time's Water Temple. If you take it slowly and check your map often it is okay.

Many people seem to like better the Majora's Mask one. I didn't. Although the more I play MM the less awful it becomes.

• Jesus Christ anyone that says Ocarina of Time's water temple was hard should piss themselves. Although Majora's Mask Great Bay Temple was a bit annoying with the hands things when you're out of magic and just ugh.

Water levels are just a change of pace and that's why people don't like them and I think that's stupid.

I'm not getting old, I'm killing myself before I hit my 30s

Edited once, last by Lexatom (August 23, 2015 at 8:44 PM).

• Jesus Christ anyone that says Ocarina of Time's water temple was hard should kill themselves. Although Majora's Mask Great Bay Temple was a bit annoying with the hands things when you're out of magic and just ugh.

Water levels are just a change of pace and that's why people don't like them and I think that's stupid.

Great bay temple was worse, for sure.

33eii50.jpg

SUBSCRIBE to my Youtube channel for a variety of skits and gaming

• Ocarina of Time's water temple was hard.

Man, even last time I played that game, I thought "Well, I'm an adult now. Certainly this won't actually be challenging THIS time."

But naw, man. It's still a confusing maze of a dungeon.

• Ocarina of Time's water temple was hard.

Man, even last time I played that game, I thought "Well, I'm an adult now. Certainly this won't actually be challenging THIS time."

But naw, man. It's still a confusing maze of a dungeon.

I haven't tried it in years, I'm curious to see how much I remember of where to go.

33eii50.jpg

SUBSCRIBE to my Youtube channel for a variety of skits and gaming

• I find the Water Temple more tedious than hard. I suppose I played OoT so much that I more or less know the layout of the temple, but on your first times if youu miss a level it can be a challenge finding not so much where could be a an unopened chest but how to get there if you can't recall exactly where is level-changing area is. I rememebr I used to miss a chest in the second floor so now every time I do taht temple I make sure to check all I can the first time I am in the second level.

• I find the Water Temple more tedious than hard. I suppose I played OoT so much that I more or less know the layout of the temple, but on your first times if youu miss a level it can be a challenge finding not so much where could be a an unopened chest but how to get there if you can't recall exactly where is level-changing area is. I rememebr I used to miss a chest in the second floor so now every time I do taht temple I make sure to check all I can the first time I am in the second level.

I don't even know the layout but people seem to think that tedious = hard. Like sure I change the water levels like 9 times cause I'm stupid but I don't feel the game is putting a challenge I'm just being bad at checking things out.

I'm not getting old, I'm killing myself before I hit my 30s

• to slightly change the discussion: The most tedious and irritating dungeons in gaming probably aren't in a zelda game. They are probably in RPGs with random encounters, where it's not clear where to go and there are probably some puzzles. Nothing clearly comes to mind at the moment, but I'm sure someone can supply an example. Unavoidable random encounters are infuriating in general.

It's not really a "water dungeon" but the river raft maze from FF6 was awesome. That's where you could use a certain trick to do massive amounts of leveling in a very short amount of time.

Wcjv02L.png

• Yeah, random encounters are a relic of tabletop RPGs. They work great in those games, they do their job. But they work because of an intelligent human game referee, and because of tactical infinity. In a CRPG? They're a miserable slog.

• One of the Grand Theft Auto Online heists had an underwater part where you would have to swim through a narrow tunnel with only a flare to get to land where a helicopter was waiting for you. I actually loved this heist and although the whole level was not water it was quite a cool thing to have to do.

AL-banner468.png

Websites, Blogs, Forums & Content Creation

Need help with a project? I'm available to hire for a multitude of services including website design, setup & management, social media management and content creation. More information: Aakash Pereira - Personal Portfolio