Favorite Final Fantasy?

• There have been countless games made in the Final Fantasy series, and I want to know which one is your favorite. My favorite is, no doubt about it, Final Fantasy 7 for the PS1. Holy shit, I love this game. No explanation is needed as to why I love this game so much.

*insert something witty here*

• Final Fantasy 1 is groggy as all fuck. I lurve it. Never beat it.

Final Fantasy 2 has some of the best music in the early part of the series, and a really interesting hook. The mechanics are exploitable, but they're exploitable in a fun way. I lurve it. Never beat it.

I don't like Final Fantasy 3 much.

Final Fantasy 4 is a phenomenal emotional journey for me. It's probably the FF game that I've beaten the most. 4 or 5 times. Story is top-notch. Gameplay is lackluster.

Final Fantasy 5 never really clicked for me. I dunno.

Final Fantasy 6 is probably my favorite game in the series if I'm forced to pick. Story and gameplay were both at their peak here.

Final Fantasy 7 was my first FF. It was my first grownup RPG. My first non-nintendo video game. I love it. I will always love it. It's not that good of a game.

Final Fantasy Tactics is SO FUCKING GOOD. One of my favorite games ever. I never beat it, but only because of that weird fight at the end that you can only win if your main character is a high level chemist. That was bullshit.

Final Fantasy 8 is a really really good game and people who hate it are dumb.

Final Fantasy 9 never really clicked for me. I might have been too old when I played it the first time. I'd like to give it another go someday.

Final Fantasy 10 has a decent story, but hits a series lowpoint for presentation. The mechanics, however, are the best in the series. So all around I'd say it's a great game. One of my favorites in the series.

Then the Final Fantasy series ended and there were no more games.

• I never beat it, but only because of that weird fight at the end that you can only win if your main character is a high level chemist. That was bullshit.

I've never played that but I have played games that have similar bullshit. It is indeed bullshit.

Then the Final Fantasy series ended and there were no more games.

LOL lies. XIII was all right.

Okay... I haven't played many, but the order so far goes, best to worst:

FFX - it was the first old school FF I played it was awesome. I didn't care about the blitzball though. The voice acting was laughable. However the story itself and the characters were cool. Also the combat system was amazing.

FFXIII - I enjoyed the story and the gameplay itself. The characters were mostly cool. My first FF.

FFXIII -2 - Much the same as the first one, but more confusing.

These are the only ones I've finished.

I've been partly through: FFXII - which was all right as much as I played, but the main characters were just bland as fuck. The gameplay was nice though.

FFIX - My memory card kept screwing up, so I have to wait until I can download it onto the PS3. I really enjoyed what I've played of it and it's most likely going to make it to my favourite so far.

FFXIII Lightning Returns - gave up on this one. I tried... I really tried.

I want to try:

FFVII and FFVIII

33eii50.jpg

SUBSCRIBE to my Youtube channel for a variety of skits and gaming

• FFX - it was the first old school FF I played

wut

Anyway, I kinda-sorta agree with @LinkSkywalker in his evaluations, though I must admit I never really played 2-5 for any serious length. I think that if we were really forced to argue, FF6 would be the absolute peak of the series, because as LS says, everything kinda clicked. The story was amazing. The characters were amazing. The soundtrack is an all-time classic. The visual presentation still looks fantastic, and at the time it was gobsmacking. The game is fun to play, challenging but not cheaply so, doesn't require ridiculous amounts of grinding (I'm looking at you, FF7), and actually shook up the playstyle often enough that it didn't feel like the same thing over and over again for 50 hours of my life. It also contained the opera scene, which may be in the top three most transcendent moments in a videogame of all time. I could write an essay about how that moment alone almost makes it the best FF game, if not one of the greatest games ever.

As for the rest -- I like 7 like everyone else. I do think that 8 was much better, gameplay and story-wise, with much more mature themes and just all-around excellence. I quite liked 9 as well. And ten's mechanics might have been the best ever.

But the best final fantasy game of all time is chrono trigger, you guys.

Wcjv02L.png

• FF7 was the first game to really make me realize what an impact instrumentation can have. So much of that soundtrack is the clarinet, and you know it's a clarinet, and it makes you want to hear more clarinet.

And yeah. Chrono Trigger is the best Final Fantasy game, hands down. Heck, even back in the day most Final Fantasy fan sites had a Chrono Trigger section.