Zelda Delayed to 2017!

• Oh no!!

http://www.polygon.com/2016/4/27/1151…yed-launch-date

So does this piss you off? Or do you see it as a good thing, because this will make the game even better?

A lot of people are annoyed because they feel cheated into buying a Wii U just for this game. Personally though, I don't mind, I didn't buy the Wii U just for Zelda.

SO yeah...

33eii50.jpg

SUBSCRIBE to my Youtube channel for a variety of skits and gaming

• Well, I'm of two minds really.

On the one hand, no Zelda means a 2016 that's going to be very empty, and a Wii U that's going to being going out on a whimper. After all, what they got left instead? Paper Mario Colour Splash? The most hated Nintendo game since Federation Force?

On the other hand, I'm glad they're willing to push it back to make it the best game it could possibly be. We've seen what happens when you rush games, you get (at best) Mario & Luigi Paper Jam or (at worst) Mario Tennis Ultra Smash/Animal Crossing Amiibo Festival.

• Official Post

I do have a lot in my mind regarding this but then I realise that it is mostly assumptions.

Since I don't even know for sure what the Wii U is or is not, I can't really assess the implication of the dual release. It could still be the case the NX is not even a stand alone console and they used that wording as to not give away anything before time. For all we know. Or it could be the rumours are right.

Now for the discontent of many, i have a theory: What it sounds like at this point is that throwing it on the Wii U feels like an afterthought, like they have because they said they would. Two years ago some people bought the Wii U and a big part that persuaded them in favour was the upcoming Zelda U game. Regardless that the Wii U has offered other great titles meanwhile the main interest of many was this game and the promise it was coming. It is not secret that the Wii U and people defending it received a lot of negativity. Heck, the media kept burying the Wii U all during its lifespan and in a childish, selfish way this was the title that would shut them up. The bragging right if you will. Nintendo deciding to pass it to start the NX marks Nintendo giving reason to the idea of a failed console and give the fans a dilemma as even though the game is coming out to the Wii U, it is coming the day the console becomes 'past generation'. This felt for some people slightly insulting when they put that huge amount of faith in them. It is a dent in their trust with the company.

I guess it is easy to get contrived in a victimisation frame, but the reality is that Nintendo didn't plan things to go like this from begining. They expected the Wii U to sell way better than it did and they gave the first tentative date expecting it to be close to the actual release date. things happens. As the Wii U sales were doing poorly more and more weight fell on Zelda U to be a good game, specially when the latest announcements,, including the Triforce Heroes, got mixed results and average sales. It is no wonder they decided to delay the game and make sure to add what they could to make it work to the best the console could allow. This bring us to this moment, almost four years since its release. Console generations usually last 5 years so now the NX is in its way. Nintendo got already most of the big guns out and most of the people who was going to buy a wii U already did so. They accepted this and are trying to learn from their mistakes and get the next console well prepared before launch. They are making sure not to reveal anything until after E3. They are making sure to hold their big card and they are trying to prepare a library of enticing games before releasing it.

As a fan of Zelda, it makes me sad Zelda U won't be released this year, specially with the 30th landmark but I am more interested in Nintendo succeeding in their next generation and for that they need to really focus and do things right. they need to really understand what went wrong and why. I support they delay the game even if it is just withholding a finish product simply because by today's reality if they released the Wii U version first it no longer would be a card for NX. Within one week the internet would burn the game to the ground. Let's play with teh full game, guides, theories, explanations. It'd be an old thing long before the NX launches.

• Official Post

I agree. I think Nintendo are trying to cut their losses by letting Wii U pass away, rather than pouring more money and more trump-card titles into a sunken ship. Probably a good move. This reminds me of TP, and how it ended up as a Wii release even though it was meant to be Gamecube. One disadvantage, though, is that Zelda U has been designed for the older console and therefore might not show off the new console quite so well as if they had designed a Zelda title for the NX in the first place. I remember some similar criticism about TP, that it was showing off the pinacle of Gamecube rather than the promise of Wii. But, as you say, at this stage, what can they do?