• Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand I lost my job.

The place went out of business after 6 fucking days.

:horror:

How come? That is a huge shocker. :-o
    Did something drastic triggered this unexpectedly?
    If it was something foreseeable, did they warn you about this risk?
    That's so bad, it sounded like a nice job.

• No, nothing drastic. But business was really really slow. Most days, the business was bringing in less than $30 in sales. We all knew things weren't going well, and personally I didn't think there was much hope for the business model to succeed. It was too rooted in nostalgia and personal feelings for the business to find a relevant niche for itself in the marketplace. But even still, six days is crazy. Most people didn't even know that we existed yet, we hadn't run any tournaments or other events to bring in customers. There was a lot of potential for the business to see some growth.

The fact that it closed six days after it opened says to me that there was some serious financial mismanagement. The owner should have been prepared to operate for at least 3-4 months.

And in point of fact, they didn't warn us. I actually had a meeting with the owner at 3:30 pm on Friday. I gave him a list of cost-saving suggestions, told him we needed a first aide kit, and told him what I'd done to fix the broken phone system in case my repairs caused him any problems. Later that evening when I got home from my shift, I found out that he'd sent the email letting everyone know that the business was closing at 1:00pm.

I'm not angry with him. It's not like he's some bourgeois oppressor who went home to his mansion that night. He and his wife sunk their savings into the business. I imagine that they're in much worse shape than I am right now. I feel for them. And aside from not telling me the business had failed, he treated me very well while I worked for him.

Overall, it's just a really bad situation for all involved. I just hope I can find a new job quickly, yo.

• Yeah, it's a bummer for everyone involved. Most of all for him, but certainly for the 6~8 employees who found a new job only to lose it less than a week later. But like I said in another thread, I've got a lead on another pretty good job. I'm hopeful that I can pull things together quickly. =D

• Yeah, it's a bummer for everyone involved. Most of all for him, but certainly for the 6~8 employees who found a new job only to lose it less than a week later. But like I said in another thread, I've got a lead on another pretty good job. I'm hopeful that I can pull things together quickly. =D

Hopefully man.

6 freakin' days, gotta be a record.

33eii50.jpg

SUBSCRIBE to my Youtube channel for a variety of skits and gaming

• I hope everything goes nicely with that new lead. :)

So... Onions and public holidays.
    I still haven't been confirmed we're going to be shut this Wednesday as most business do so there is a slight chance I will be called to work that day. This will be a bummer for the ZCC:CAH we had planned.

• Wednesday is a public holiday in Aussieland? Why?

I don't understand it very well, but some holidays are given by states. This one is for Queensland. It is called Ekka: Royal Quensland Show.
    It is done to promote the local culture and agriculture. Kind of celebrating where we are and at the same time not forgetting our roots. The event is actually going close to two weeks, but only one is the public holiday granted so we take the chance to check it out.

• Interesting. We don't do anything like that in the U.S., which is a shame. We're such a large / diverse country, it'd be neat to have a public holiday celebrating local culture. Unfortunately we're also work-obsessed.

• There's a healthy amount of retail and sport obsession in the U.S. as well. Then again, we almost never have riots over sports stuff.

But we've got this odd culture where any kind of positive change in favor of the working class gets voted down because people view it as a symptom of laziness or some shit.

• No job at the moment. I've been trying to get a good one for over two years, to no avail. It's getting absurd, but I'm stubborn, and now I'm taking extra classes to increase my employability.

But the truth of the matter is, I'm privileged as crap simply because I live in Norway. Free education, highly educated population, low unemployment and high salaries means that once I get the job I'm qualified for, it'll be a paradigm shift in my life.

I'm a graduate engineer and I spent 6.5 years of my life suffering to achieve and finish this, so it better be worth it.

• Best of luck with that, 'zilla.
    *shakes fist at life* You heard him, make it worth it.

Currently I am dizzy between the "Yes! Things are looking up and soon I'll have a stable full time job" to a "Oh God. I really need to hurry and find anything else and abandon this ship". :XD:
    Like I said before I love my coworkers. They are and have been great. The current team is pretty solid and probably the only ones that know my gaming side. Yay.
    By the way I still haven't invited them around. It takes a lot of my courage specially when so far I have had to be an annoying pest to get anyone I ever invited to check, even friends that seemed genuinely curious so I am concerned I will invariably eitehr become pushy about it or will be a one time mention never brought up again.

last friday I learned some Korean words... it was a fun afternoon. It seemed like we were having a meeting at the back and all we were doing was making childish penises jokes.
    Anyway it was a great time spent together.

... now that I've said that, probably I really shouldn't invite my co-workers over. I am revealing top secrets. :XD:

• @'zilla You have worked really hard for that training. It's weird to think the services of an engineer would ever not be wanted. But now that you have the education, no one can take it away from you. You'll be back on track to being president of Norway in no time.

@Kaynil Bridging the gap and allowing coworkers to become real, actual friends can be scary. If they end up being unpleasant, then you can't simply stop seeing them. You still have to see them every damn day! But I've personally found it can be pretty rewarding. Some of my very good friends used to be my coworkers.

• Bridging the gap and allowing coworkers to become real, actual friends can be scary. If they end up being unpleasant, then you can't simply stop seeing them. You still have to see them every damn day! But I've personally found it can be pretty rewarding. Some of my very good friends used to be my coworkers.

Oh, yes. it can really be a two edged sword. You don't want a sour friendship and then dread going to work because of it. Then again that was the same risk you had at school with the guy sitting next to you or part of the team. Sometimes it is necessary to interact and take things slowly. I click better with some people than other and it is nice when it is a two way exchange. If you are too quick opening up completely it can be really bad, I've had people using what I said against me.

I also think the special work situation also had a role in the bond. We're in a way in the same boat regarding what will be of our jobs. None of us are financially stable enough to just stop showing up to work for small things.
    All in all we get along pretty nicely and I don't mind sharing some of my life with them but I don't think we will be seeing each other out of our workzone anytime soon but at least through Online gaming or something.

• omg 'zilla I hope it works out...I kinda think you should be president of Norway by now

Fun fact: my friend and fellow Nintendo geek, who is younger than me, is now the leader of the Oslo Green Party. They got a pivotal position after a local election last week, and he's now instrumental in deciding which of the other political parties will rule Oslo for the next 4 years, and how their politics will look like.

A path for the likes of me is visible..