What are you currently reading?

• Talk about whatever you're currently reading here. If a conversation about a specific book springs up, the mods can move those posts into a new thread. =D

My sister got me "Mistborn" for my birthday, which I really enjoyed. But now I'm done with it, and I decided I ought to try and read some of the hundreds of books I own that I've never read, so I've been reading Star Trek Voyager: Mosaic by Jerri Taylor. It's...honestly it's a struggle to read it at all. I love Voyager, so you'd think that a book in the Voyager universe written by one of the show's showrunners would be good. But Taylor is an awful writer. Perhaps her skills are better suited to television, which requires a whole different kind of writing. But she seems to be downright incompetent when it comes to writing a novel.

• I'm currently reading the book Inheritance, the last book in the Inheritance cycle of books. I'm only in the middle of the book, and I started reading this book series in 6th Grade. I really need to get back to reading this....

*insert something witty here*

• To be honest this year has been more of I'd like to read that or this book than actually picking them up.
    I am currently interested in having a look at teh Stocism one SP was reading earlier to dispel some of my own misconceptions about the doctrine.

• I am currently reading the biography of Zlatan Ibrahimovic. It is one of the most interesting books I have read and I can't wait to read the rest of the book. Never realised how tough he had it when he was younger. If you don't know who he is, he's a Swedish footballer

AL-banner468.png

Websites, Blogs, Forums & Content Creation

Need help with a project? I'm available to hire for a multitude of services including website design, setup & management, social media management and content creation. More information: Aakash Pereira - Personal Portfolio

• I got back to reading 'Athena's Daughters' a few weeks back. It's a short story collection of scifi stories about women, written by women. It's decent, but it's kinda dragging for me.

I also just got my hands on the reprint of Vornheim, widely regarded as one of the most game changing d&d books ever written. I've only just scratched the surface, but if it's half as good as everybody says it is, it's gonna be wild.

I just finished reading 'Tales of the Scarecrow.' Short at only 8 pages, it none-the-less had some phenomenal ideas in it. A solid adventure location, modular, and worth an evening of fun and player death.

• This year I haven't really got into anything. I've read excerpts but no full books. :Shy:
    I should change that. Time to hit the local library again. i used to be borrowing from them often.

I'm currently reading Idols by Margaret Stohl. It doesn't seem that good but I guess I'll keep reading it and hope that it gets better. xD

Best of luck. :XD:
    I hope it gets better.

• I have seven books on my desk, I might and might not read them all.

Fashion, Faith and Fantasy in the New Physics of the Universe, by Roger Penrose
    A brilliant scientist, he has worked with Stephen Hawking previously. This book deals with string theory, quantum mechanics and cosmology, and what we might be forgetting or doing wrong in these fields. Coincidentally, he visited Oslo yesterday to promote the same book, and I got to ask him a question and got my book signed.

The Particle at the End of the Universe, by Sean Carrol
    It's going into the deep implications of the Higgs particle and how it affects our understanding of reality.

Surely You're Joking, Mr. Feynman!, by Richard Feynman
    A bunch of funny life stories from a legendary rascal physicist.

The Wisdom of Insecurity, by Alan Watts
    A great thinker trying to explain how he sees the absurdity of modern human life and how to get to terms with such a strange existence, speaking from the 1940s. I like the way he writes.

Thinking Fast and Slow, by Daniel Kahneman
    Supposedly a famous book about two different ways we think. I've yet to read to a part of the book that doesn't seem obvious.

Burning Country, by Robin Yassin-Kassar and Leila Al-shami
    The most important book I'm reading. It's laying out the story of the Syrian revolution and consequent civil war, prodding only lightly into historical triggers and focusing on the civil society trapped beneath the chaos of warfare, a people who were just starting to grasp their unity and freedom when the bullets and the bombs came.

Olav H. Hauge's most beautiful poems
    This is a collection of Norwegian poems from the last half of the 20th century.

Edited once, last by 'zilla (October 25, 2016 at 8:57 AM).