Christmas memories and traditions

• Christmas is a special word. I think that as much as people can pass the day as any other, many of us through at least the past we can feel some weight in this season. Also, although we'd like to think tehre is a formula, in different places and even in different homes there are special little twists in the traditions taht makes our memories be different from that of our neighbours

What are your house Christmas traditions?
    What are some of the strongest memories of Christmas you have?

• Holographic tape! Old christmas lights (not LEDs), the smell of fake snow spray. These are the things that take me back to primary school. I have strong memories of nativity plays, staying up trying to spot the sleigh, and watching the Snowman as a 5-yr-old.

• Those first few hours of Christmas morning were always such a rush. The period of endless possibility before the presents came open and collapsed the happiness wave function. The rest of the day could never really live up to that.

I've struggled to really pin down traditions for myself since going out on my own. I love finding gifts for people, so that's always really fun. Although money never seems quite as cooperative as I wish it would be. =P

This year I'm making an effort to be more proactive about the holiday. Doing stuff like making specific holiday plans, baking, making presents for people I can't afford to shop for, that sorta stuff.

As for specific memories, there are many. The year I got my N64 really stands out though. My family was poor, we didn't own any expensive things, really. And my parents have always hated computers and video games. Never in a million years did I expect to open anything that cool. I'm sure I acted just like the N64 kid that day.

And star fox 64 was suuuuuuch a perfect bundle game. Damn.

There's also Christmas 2007. I was moving out, up to university, a few days after the holiday. I remember walking the house late at night, the last night I would ever really 'live' in that house, with all the decorations still up. It was weird thinking that the next time I was there, it would be as a guest. By that point, my parent's home was not a happy place for me, but it was still the only place I'd ever known. It was so surreal, sitting in the dark by the tree and knowing it was the last time.

On a happier note, there's last year. My lady and I were too poor to really do much, so we weren't. Christmas isn't very important to her, so I don't think she knew how really unhappy I was. We talked about it one night, and the next day she came home with a bag full of decorations and little dollar store toys. We have a little potted pine tree, which she brought in from outside and decorated. It may not seem like a lot, but my eyes are teary now recalling it. She made Christmas happen for me, and my mood made such a complete 180. I was over the moon for a month after that.

I managed to get her something really great this year. She deserves it. I'm so fuckin' excited.

• I made reindeer food (a bunch of smelly gross hay and grass and twigs) and INSISTED that my father put it up on the roof as a five year old child. I watched him climb up there in his military fatigues and scatter that reindeer food all over the place at my behest. We didn't have a chimney, but I didn't care. All I knew was that Santa's pets needed a pick me up after all that hard work they were doing flying that fat fuck around everywhere. The next day all that reindeer food was gone and I believed the reindeers had eaten it. I found out MUCH later that my father crawled back up there in the middle of the night to get it off of the roof so I would believe.

Another great memory is the years that my mother was healthy enough to decorate outside. She painted all the Disney characters with Christmas apparel on wooden boards, and decorated PVC pipes with lights and frosted garland. She then made them into an arched walkway that was absolutely dazzling. The wooden boards with paintings on them were placed at specific parts in the path and were accompanied by a story that she painstakingly wrote on yet more wood. The whole affair was amazing, as all you could see were these decorated arches of light, the story and paintings, and she played Christmas jingles from a boombox set on our windowsill. There were those Christmas Disney Mickey and Minnie statues you could buy that would move if you plugged them in, and they were at the entrance and exit as if to say "Hi" and "Goodbye". All of the neighborhood kids and their parents came over to experience the little adventure that was our front and back yard.

I got really shit presents until my teenage years though. My parents didn't think I liked video games and kept shoving things like "My Size Barbie" and "Easy Bake Oven"s at me until I was about eleven or twelve. But there was this one time I remember when my dad came back from Iraq and we all went to the BX (a military store) and he told us "Go and pick out what you want. Anything." And I ended up with so much anime that it blew my mind. I also acquired a few video games, such as the Inuyasha fighting game for the PS1. I think he spent over 2000 USD that night on us. I was thrilled with my gigantic collection of probably very inappropriate anime for my age (my dad didn't think to check any of it and just assumed anime was for children... LOLOLOLOLOL).

sig.gif

Edited 2 times, last by Aphelion (December 12, 2015 at 1:50 AM).

• Another great memory is the years that my mother was healthy enough to decorate outside. She painted all the Disney characters with Christmas apparel on wooden boards, and decorated PVC pipes with lights and frosted garland. She then made them into an arched walkway that was absolutely dazzling. The wooden boards with paintings on them were placed at specific parts in the path and were accompanied by a story that she painstakingly wrote on yet more wood. The whole affair was amazing, as all you could see were these decorated arches of light, the story and paintings, and she played Christmas jingles from a boombox set on our windowsill. There were those Christmas Disney Mickey and Minnie statues you could buy that would move if you plugged them in, and they were at the entrance and exit as if to say "Hi" and "Goodbye". All of the neighborhood kids and their parents came over to experience the little adventure that was our front and back yard.

That's awesome, we never went that crazy with decorations outside.

33eii50.jpg

SUBSCRIBE to my Youtube channel for a variety of skits and gaming