• Can't believe I didn't think to post this here.

I've got LttP pretty much memorized at this point, and I'm sure I'm not the only one. It's a testament to how replayable the game is, but it also means that there's very little challenge left in the game for me. I can't really go back and replay it anymore.

Fortunately, there's a ROMHack for that! You download the program and it will generate a randomized version of the game for you as a ROM file. One of the very first chests I opened in the game had the Hookshot in it, which was pretty neat.

As I said, it's only semi-randomized. So, for example, the big key for every dungeon is always in a chest inside that dungeon, in an area you can access without needing the big key. So far it seems like they've done an excellent job ensuring that none of the randomized files are unbeatable, but that doesn't mean they're easy at all. I had to spend a good few hours scouring the overworld for chests after the first dungeon because I didn't have the Book of Mudora (required for Dungeon 2) or the Magic Mirror (Required for Dungeon 3+). I eventually found the Mirror and the Moon Pearl in a pair of chests right next to one another in a random little cave on Death Mountain.

https://dessyreqt.github.io/alttprandomizer/

The ROM is a Japanese language version of the game, so you won't understand any of the text. But if you've played the game enough times for this to interest you in the first place, you probably don't need to read any prompts to know what to do next. Being the Japanese language version also means there are some mechanical changes that took me awhile to figure out, so watch out for those.

So far I've beat dungeons 1, 3, and 5. Beating dungeon 5 with so few hearts and the starter sword was a good challenge. I'm not sure yet where I want to go next. I have the fire rod, the hammer, and the magic powder, so maybe I'll go get 1/2 magic and do the ice palace? It's gonna be a good time.

• Sounds pretty cool.
    I probably haven't played the game enough times as it is, so with the Japanese text and not a firm grasp of Hyrule's terrain, I am afraid I am not ready to try this.
    That said, knowing that something like this exists and is so well done, definitely belongs here and I hope other members find it useful.