Pretending to talk on the phone

• So today I was on the mall when I decided to test my mobile voice recorder. So I pretended I was doing a phone call in order to force myself to raise my voice a little. My first recording was so shy and quiet given how noisy the mall is. I was still feeling embarrassed but it seemed to help me boost my volume enough to actually record my voice. It felt eternal.

Anyway, it is a common trope the one of people pretending to receive a call or starting one, usually to get out of situations they don't like. For example setting their alarm with their ring tone and pretending that was a call to get excused.

Have you ever done it or know someone that did? Any stories to share?

• Official Post

Yeahhh I've done that. Not so much recently, but. Once when I saw someone I didn't want to talk to, but I made a pretty bad job of it because I didn't have the confidence or speed of thought to make it very convincing. It should have been "Hi mate!... Yeah, not bad, did you get the job in the end? No way!... Oh that's balls mate, there's nothing wrong with your mechanical experience." Instead it was more like "Hi. Yeah? Yeah. Oh. Ok. Yeah? Um, I don't know really. I think. Ha, ha. Yeah, I suppose so. So what you doing later? Oh. Me too."
    And I'm pretty sure I picked up a disapproving look from my victim.

The other time I did it was when I was learning my lines for a play. I spent a lot of time walking places, so to seem less like a madman I practiced my lines with my phone to me ear. Even if normal phone conversations aren't conducted dramatically in fake Scottish accents talking about how we're goooin two ge' throo this blwdee war, I at least felt a bit better about it.

I think these days I'd care less. But did you know my last two phones actually had a 'fake call' feature? You'd set a time and it'd look like someone was ringing you!

• Not quite. I have however rang my own doorbell, or told someone to go ring the doorbell, to get out of a 2 hour conversation with one of my aunties from time to time. Hehehe!

hahaha. Sounds like a good way to excuse you.
    My mum would loudly call for me, so then I could say I gotta go, back in my school days if one of my friends hogged me for over an hour on the phone. :X'D:

• Last time it happened I was like "OMG, hang on, I see that nosey parker one from up the road walking down the driveway." Run to door, ring doorbell, run back and say "gotta go." Secret is to take of the shoes first.

I don't actually have such a nosey neighbour, I just tell her that I do because she just stays on the phone talking about what an amazing child my cousin is for hours and it's repetitive. She has very little to say and takes her hours to get over it. My cousin is 5 years old, and no more or less amazing than any other 5 year old. Drives me nuts. lol.

I am living back home at the moment though, so usually get out of her by handing the phone off to some other victim. XD

• Never done it. However, with my earphones in, I've always thought that if I accidently thought someone was talking to me, I'll just keep talking and pretend I also wasn't talking to them :D

AL-banner468.png

Websites, Blogs, Forums & Content Creation

Need help with a project? I'm available to hire for a multitude of services including website design, setup & management, social media management and content creation. More information: Aakash Pereira - Personal Portfolio

• That just seems a tad bit rude LOL

what of everything we've talked about here is what drew the line for you? :lol:

I am living back home at the moment though, so usually get out of her by handing the phone off to some other victim. XD

Hahaha, I am usually the person back at home my family offer relatives to talk with when they want to excuse yourselves. "Hey, [Kaynil] is right here, want me to pop her for a quick hello?" :XD:

However, with my earphones in, I've always thought that if I accidently thought someone was talking to me, I'll just keep talking and pretend I also wasn't talking to them :D

Hahaha, sounds like a neat escape, maybe practice your lines so it sounds more convincing than the experience of Silent Lion. There's two friends I am very fond of talking to them at any time even if they catch me on a trip, I rather use my earphones to handle calls, so I have had looks of people for a moment thinking I am talking to them or myself. I've also had rude people trying to get my attention to ask for directions while it is obvious I am having an exchange, like they don't wait I even tell my friends one minute before they start talking.

• I had the earphones and talking to someone on the phone experience recently when I was moving. The mover had his Airpods in and I didn't see them so he was talking to someone else. But I thought he was talking to me and was replying to his questions about how I was (°^O^°)

AL-banner468.png

Websites, Blogs, Forums & Content Creation

Need help with a project? I'm available to hire for a multitude of services including website design, setup & management, social media management and content creation. More information: Aakash Pereira - Personal Portfolio