What's your overall opinion of Twilight Princess?

• LS shut your whore mouth :lengua:

The beginning is slow to get the player to feel that Link is really from a small town that is semi isolated from the rest of the kingdom that is in peril. So all you get intro'd to is small town life, the things normally an unsuspecting hero would have to deal with before their life is upheaved and thrown into chaos. FF has longer cut scenes anyway :P

That said, I LOVED Tp. that's right. I said it. I LOVE TP.

The graphics were pretty smooth as games go, it really pushed on oot's idea the impression that the kingdom was a large land that you could explore, it's dark, it's a little gritty, tries a little more to be what you would expect out if LOZ was meant for teens/young adults (personally, the cell shading makes the games look cartoony). I kinda wished it had gotten more gritty. They stepped out of their comfort zone and did pretty well all things considering. Plus I think a few small time Zelda sites/fb pages voted the dominion rod the most powerful magic item in the series (hehe... rod... hehe). And some mysteries are still left to the fans to figure out and theorize, like who was the ancient warrior teaching Link all those moves? A past life? A past warrior teacher?

That said,
    -I think there could have been more connection as to why a wolf form in particular was chosen for Link, like make a new legend about the hero of time getting peed on by a wolf and it brought him luck or something.
    -SOOOOO disappointed in Zant. He was so bad ass in the beginning and then kinda suddenly turned into a clown/pathetic puppet mid way. If they just kept him bad ass... '
    -The end with Ganon in the field was a little anti-climactic.
    -One last thing. The oocca look like they have tits.

Departing from their usual kid/child theme was a treat and this was a cool step in that direction. Actually, instead of continuing with this branch of diversion from the main series, I think it would be cooler to see the developers try the same model game in different outfits; eg. tp was dark and broody, Hyrule warriors used developers from dragon warrior for a different game play, perhaps more attempts to branch out in different directions instead of the same thing.

• 50px-Spinner_Icon_TP.png

I liked to use that thing outside of the designated usable areas! Why? Well, why not lol. Oh yeah, and I also happened to help TS port the Super Spinner AR cheat code to the PAL versions of the game back in the day. Seing this quote...

"Huge thanks to Papayo of ARCentral.net for working with me to get this ported to the PAL(E) region!"

... still makes me all warm and happy inside, lol! If anybody's interested in seeing the cheat in action:

• I really like TP, but it does have its flaws. At first, I hated TP. Because OoT was my first Zelda game, with MM soon afterwards. And fanboys who fall in love with something always, ALWAYS hate the sequels. Because it's not the original. People who were introduced to the series on TP tend to love it. Just saying. I think Nintendo were trying to create that epic OoT feel again, but the reason it was so epic is because it was many people's first 3D adventure. The forest is pretty cool and gnarly with its world-building and then HOLY SHIT THIS FIELD IS HUGE! 3D space stopped being shocking shortly after that, hence TP's downfall.

Actually, like WW, TP was TOO big. Hyrule field on TP sucks, thank you very much. Why? Because it's empty. OoT and MM overworlds are full of holes with cows and weird enemies and wealthy vultures and actual stuff. TP's field is just a bunch of nothing that takes too much time to cross.

But the horseback combat is engaging, and there's a real sense of role-play as you explore the realistic landscape. It's very absorbing from that point of view. As you gain skills, the swordplay is pretty engaging too. I'm glad they used WW's engine for that. Lots of options, very dynamic. And ball and chain is ace! And use-once items? I used nearly every item several times over.

Plotline is, well... variable? LS is right, intro is WAAY too long and domestic. I like his background, but maybe one cutscene showing him working and then starting the gameplay with going to the sword guy to get tutorialled up - that would be cool. Having the herding stuff as a minigame to discover would have added a lot of depth and feeling, instead of it being mandatory (and thus linear). MM had it right. I felt very connected to Clock Town, but I didn't have to spend hours catching fish or whatever. There was variety. TP's intro didn't feel like I was really interacting with the landscape or discovering anything, just running around in circles reading text. Link as a wolf is cool, because wolves are cool. I never considered it beyond that until now. But that cutscene with the enemies dropping and making the twilight shield to block Link is so tedious! Do they have to play that each time?

The stuff with Midna and Zelda being introduced, and then Zant's awesome power is some of the best Zelda stuff going. And the sense of history - the ruined prison in the desert. So that's old Gerudo desert from OoT? What the hell happened to the poor Gerudos? Did they all get locked up in a haunted, infested hell-hole? Is that a trace of oppression and racism daring to be expressed in a Zelda game? Deep stuff, man. Here's a concept - what if the boss arena in the desert dungeon is in fact the same boss arena from OoT's Spirit Temple, and the Hylians turned the Spirit Temple into a dungeon in a cruel twist of cross-cultural irony?

But then, like everyone says, Zant becomes mad and defeatable. Like, in that final Zant battle, why doesn't Zant just pick Link up with his psychic powers and drown him in the lake? And Ganondorf was stupid. I like the idea, Zant being an echo of the whole living weapon of Ganon thing introduced in SS, and Ganon having developed into this spirit that can be prayed to, but he isn't around long enough in the game to be compelling - it relies entirely on the player having knowledge of the series, and it fails.

And another thing. What's the twilight thing all about? I just don't get it.
    "I'm so scared!"
    "Why?"
    "I don't know, I'm completely unaware of my twilight situation, everything seems normal, AARHHHHGG!! SCARY!"
    "So, everything's fine?"
    "Look, a rat!"

They could have made more of the different terrains. Like in OoT, you have to revisit the main areas numerous times in the adventure, and you grow attached to the world. There should have been more on the volcano, more in the ice realm. All that vastness, no applications.

So, style, general combat and gameplay, items and sense of backstory win it over for me, despite its gaping holes. It's a little dodgy sometimes, but I like it.

• That said, I LOVED Tp. that's right. I said it. I LOVE TP.

Thank goodness this thread is not all one sided. It has been pretty interesting reading all your opinions about it.

Having the herding stuff as a minigame to discover would have added a lot of depth and feeling, instead of it being mandatory (and thus linear).

I agree taht some things from the opening could have been optional. I honestly didn't mind it the first time because you are exploring and talking with people anyway, but it is annoying you cannot skip steps and I could feel a bit of what you meant by forced last time I tried to start the game because I had a vague memory of what to do but the game wasn't ready for me to do it and taht is frustrating. if these minigames like the herding were optional the intro in subsequent playthroughs could be shortened.

With that said, I usually tend to appreciate the intro as a way to give me a sense of what is the life I have before tragedy strikes. I didn't feel the dialog to be tiring or boring, but it had to do taht I was actually pretty invested in the game. It seemed like it was going to be bigger than the Hyrule I remembered and after Termina and WW isles Twilight Princess with field and horse was pretty welcome to me..

I never considered it beyond that until now. But that cutscene with the enemies dropping and making the twilight shield to block Link is so tedious! Do they have to play that each time?

Hahah. I actually felt a bit annoyed about that but it never bothered me enough to retain it. i just know taht when it happens it'd sometime would break the flow for me.

And another thing. What's the twilight thing all about? I just don't get it.
    "I'm so scared!"
    "Why?"
    "I don't know, I'm completely unaware of my twilight situation, everything seems normal, AARHHHHGG!! SCARY!"
    "So, everything's fine?"
    "Look, a rat!"

For me it was just that unsettling feeling of knowing something is wrong and not being able to put your finger on it. I think the state gave the resident a perpetual state of tension. Like the infrasound that makes you feel on edge even if you cannot consciously perceive it. I never thought their fear needed an explanation as I thought their being consudemed by twilight was the source of it, even if they weren't aware of what had changed.

Oh yeah, and I also happened to help TS port the Super Spinner AR cheat code to the PAL versions of the game back in the day. Seeing this quote...

"Huge thanks to Papayo of ARCentral.net for working with me to get this ported to the PAL(E) region!"

... still makes me all warm and happy inside, lol! If anybody's interested in seeing the cheat in action:
    [FONT=Roboto, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=11px]

[/SIZE][/FONT]

That's so cool! I had no idea. That cheat gives a lot more to do with the item. Out of the designated areas there really wasn't much you could do with it.

• He's a wolf because Ganon is a pig?

I wonder what does that makes Zelda...

-One last thing. The oocca look like they have tits.

They really do. In their front and in their backs.
    And why is the Jr one a flying head? Nightmare fuel, I tell you.

Hyrule field on TP sucks, thank you very much. Why? Because it's empty. OoT and MM overworlds are full of holes with cows and weird enemies and wealthy vultures and actual stuff. TP's field is just a bunch of nothing that takes too much time to cross.

I was thinking that maybe TP is not as empty as we say, and it is more that we can't keep track with the caves we have collected a reward because of TP tendency to just put back the rupee if you have no space. That was frustrating. Nice and frustrating at the same time.

I played the intro of TP on a video I made in collaboration with @Sardonic Pickle and boy I was helpless. I half remembered things so I was trying to skip steps or forgetting obvious things like the Falcon attack.
    I catched the first fish and fell into the water so the cat-scene couldn't be triggered. I accidentally threw the basket I just rescued into the water.
    I played like half an hour and my progress was minimal, hahah. It really has been a while since I had played Twilight Princess. I still think it is a fine game. :P