Fired for giving a game 6/10?

Hello everyone,
    It is very rare, actually almost non-existent, that I send out mass E-Mails for purposes other than Zelda Sages. However, I believe this particular case well warrants a mass E-Mail. For those of you not keeping up with the news GameSpot writer Jeff Gerstmann, a prominent site writer and employee for ten years, was fired on November 30th due to assigning the score of 6/10 to the game Kane & Lynch: Dead Men. As it turns out, CNET was receiving advertising money from the game's publisher Eidos, and a great deal of money at that. After seeing the review score for the clearly lackluster game, Eidos threatened to pull their ad money from CNET. This sparked the firing of Jeff, for speaking his opinion with truth. CNET had no right to fire Jeff for stating a factual opinion, something that a product reviewer is paid to do. This sets a horrifying precedent for other employee's of GameSpot under the new management regime which took over CNET less than a year ago.

In retaliation for this injustice, gamers are being asked to boycott CNET on Monday December 3rd (tomorrow). To do so, they ask you not visit GameSpot or any CNET run websites including: News.com, Metacritic, MP3.com, Movietome, GameFAQs, Gamerankings, filmspot, download.com, and shopper.com. This day long boycott will serve as protest for the injustice we have witnessed over the last few days. Despite whatever your feelings may be on Jeff (he was the one who gave Twilight Princess an 8.8) you must realize that we are fighting an injustice. Though not everyone agreed with his reviews, he still conducted himself in a professional matter and gave his professional opinions. If game reviewers can not speak their mind uncensored what will come of reviewing? GameSpot's own GregK phrased it very well, "I guess you should no longer come to GameSpot for opinions. Everything is a great game, and I'm sure we'll be handing out 1,200 game of the year awards each year." DO YOUR PART to fight against the huge corporation working to strip Jeff of his constitutional rights!

Thankyou,
    The Zelda Sages Staff

*For those not in the United States, the US constitution outlines a freedom of speech clause (article 1) which protects an individual's right to speak so long as it does not incite a clear and present danger to the country, or in some cases such as the school system interfering with the educational mission of the school. It's far more confusing than that, although the only way he could have been justly fired was if he participated in the act of libel, which is false speech which harms any public individual or corporation, of which he obviously did not due looking at other reviews for the game.*

An email I got form Zelda sages, but still WTFH? Is this right or no? Even though we hate the guy for it, I still don't think he should of gotten fired for this.

• Wow, how screwed up that is. I mean, sure he gave Twilight Princess an 8.8, but there's no reason to fire someone over their opinion of a game, even if that game is sponsored all over the place. There's no excuse for such actions.

So I have a girl in my sig, big whoop, wanna fight about it?
    Sprites! < Still a W.I.P.

Quote from The Shoutbox

*Muigi has banned the user YOUR FACE from the shoutbox*

http://muigi01.deviantart.com/ Feel free to stop by!

• I'm giving you all one remaining chance, since this topics generally consists of spam.

So behave, and don't simply post one-liners. Otherwise, this topic will be deleted immediately without any mercy.

Winner: The "They always come back" Award

Winner: The "Most likely to be a channer" Award

Winner: The "Most annoying avatar" Award

• I'm giving you all one remaining chance, since this topics generally consists of spam.

So behave, and don't simply post one-liners. Otherwise, this topic will be deleted immediately without any mercy.

Lets not get too power hungry, it wasn't off topic, all it was, was just people expressing they're opinions. Thats not a crime is it? Some of them were one liners, my post included, but you're being way to harsh about the rules. I could see if we were all just posting random crap like "Bannanas!" But we weren't, we all seemed to contributing our opinions.

Not here anymore - Mr. Goron.

• Lets not get too power hungry, it wasn't off topic, all it was, was just people expressing they're opinions. Thats not a crime is it? Some of them were one liners, my post included, but you're being way to harsh about the rules. I could see if we were all just posting random crap like "Bannanas!" But we weren't, we all seemed to contributing our opinions.

Yes. This isn't a mere debate however, and one-liners and spam are absolutely not tolerated inside "The Castle" as mentioned in bottom-text of the forum subscription.

• I guess its not my place to scold an Admin. So I'll just agree... Okay so my first post, I feel wasn't enough to explain what i thought about this situation.

Okay, so are we all suprised? A man was fired because he was truthful? Does this surprise you? The world is all about money, if they do something wrong, then what will they miss out on? Money. So I'm not surprised, nor angry. I do not believe it was fair, but I do not believe that everyone should make a big deal about it. If some random real estate agent, didn't sell a house to a celebrity, because he said it had a draft. He would be fired. The rest of the world wouldn't care. If this had been any other person no one would mind, but since it had something to do with Video Games, we're making a big deal about this. I do not believe that we should, as it is. in fact just a waste of time.

Not here anymore - Mr. Goron.

• Actually, HMS. You don't have to agree with me at all. I'm just a person like you, you know.

We, of the staff, are not robotics or anything mechanical. Don't consider us a mere bots. ;D

• Can't you just type #kick or #ban here? ;)

I know it's quite retarded what's bein done here. Heard of it from several sites. Eidos abusing their power, obviously. The main thing you have to see however is the Vidoe Review, which you can find on YouTube. Really, this guy totally dumps the game into the sewer and pisses over it again, rarely seen in a professional game review. In the video review it's like he'd rather give it a 4 instead of a 6. But that would I guess be absolutely no-go. No big budget title ever gets a bad mark, whereas six is still acceptable. I think the video review really got Eidos pissed over and made him get fired. It's a sad thing :/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aBD0cUeeEQc

.. _ .. /~_0_~\ .. _ ..
    -=!~||~!=-
    defy the blackened, enshroud your timidity, destroy the legend, embrace your reality.

-=!~|I am from beyond your God|~!=-

• Even if one-liners aren't allowed, that doesn't automatically christen them as spam... that would be ignoring the content of the message entirely with no other reason than a rule which has been established. Quality over quantity.

I am a huge Soldat fan.

• Even if one-liners aren't allowed, that doesn't automatically christen them as spam... that would be ignoring the content of the message entirely with no other reason than a rule which has been established. Quality over quantity.

Partially. But I would highly doubt whether there can actually be discussed intensively about that.

Personally, I consider one-liners as spam. Whether you like it or not, Twistkill. And no, that's not being ignorant in this current issue at all.

• Partially. But I would highly doubt whether there can actually be discussed intensively about that.

Personally, I consider one-liners as spam. Whether you like it or not, Twistkill. And no, that's not being ignorant in this current issue at all.

I never stated that you were being ignorant on the issue, I said you were ignoring anything contained inside the message based on your predisposition to one-line messages. I agree that the actual content of a post is sometimes required to be substantial enough to warrant a good discussion, it just appeared that you were flexing your Administrator muscles pretentiously based on your newfound position.

I am a huge Soldat fan.

• I never stated that you were being ignorant on the issue, I said you were ignoring anything contained inside the message based on your predisposition to one-line messages. I agree that the actual content of a post is sometimes required to be substantial enough to warrant a good discussion, it just appeared that you were flexing your Administrator muscles pretentiously based on your newfound position.

It is always required to warrant a decent post.

Secondly, no. Your second statement is utterly based on self-devised crap.

• It is always required to warrant a decent post.

Using your reasoning, I guess these posts should be considered incompetent and be deleted because they are spam:

http://forsakenlegend.net/forum/showpost…759&postcount=3
    http://forsakenlegend.net/forum/showpost…43&postcount=16
    Half of the posts in this thread are one-liners, I guess we should clean that up as well!

Oh, hypocrisy is fun:
    http://forsakenlegend.net/forum/showpost…8&postcount=773
    http://forsakenlegend.net/forum/showpost…367&postcount=6
    http://forsakenlegend.net/forum/showpost…08&postcount=10

Furthermore:

Secondly, no. Your second statement is utterly based on self-devised crap.

Self-devised, yeah. I've noticed that your behavior has become suddenly bordering narcissistic and "powerful" once you received your precious position. Also, I do believe you have admitted to not giving a shit about the members here, only in increasing FL's reputation (Clicky), when in fact you have also stated that you are not a heartless robot administrator right here... oh, it's in this very thread. How convenient. :)

Are you going to make up your mind yet, or are you going to continue to be a deceiving person?

I am a huge Soldat fan.

• Captain Cutflake previously stated to not care for the members and is not here to moderate the topics but just for the personal sake of the forums. Therefore, I ask Captain Cutflake to stop moderating around here and leave the members for once. Twistkill is a super mod and therefore he will decide what will happen here.

.. _ .. /~_0_~\ .. _ ..
    -=!~||~!=-
    defy the blackened, enshroud your timidity, destroy the legend, embrace your reality.

-=!~|I am from beyond your God|~!=-