Do you use social apps?

• The only social apps that I use are Facebook, Twitter, WhatsApp and SnapChat. The only ones I use all the time are Twitter and WhatsApp. I don't think I've bothered to even open Snapchat for a few months now.

AL-banner468.png

Websites, Blogs, Forums & Content Creation

Need help with a project? I'm available to hire for a multitude of services including website design, setup & management, social media management and content creation. More information: Aakash Pereira - Personal Portfolio

• I use Facebook Messenger for people I know well, Skype for online friends (I almost never use voice or video btw, mostly text chat), IRC app for forum I run, Twitter (have a personal account, and community account), LinkedIn for professional networking.

Discord never took off for us, and besides, the app is quite heavy on phone resources. I only log that when on the computer. I like to have room for other things on my phone and IRC app is light. ^^

• Shannon do you run your own iRC server or you just host a channel on someone elses?

I am trying to build up my network and we obviously have a ton of names available, 6 irc servers and services enabled....

• Official Post

I'm on Discord, but I'm really only on it because we use the voice chat functionality for team meetings at ZU.

Discord is a godsend for many reasons. Like a blend of IRC and Ventilo/TeamSpeak and Skype. But free, without ads, extremely reliable, and very customizable. The only downside is I have seen it significantly replace other means of communicating over time. A lot of communities that were primarily forum based or so exclusively talk in Discord servers instead of their actual community forums leaving them a bit dead. ?(

I use Trillian for Google, AIM, YIM and facebook contacts.

Do you still? Sorry to quote you from so long ago. I just ask since I know AIM is officially dead now. Not sure about YIM. It's weird downloading programs like Pidgin, Adium and seeing MSN (which has been dead for years now), and other long-since removed IM platforms.

To answer the original thread: I used Skype daily for many years, but began loathing it after Microsoft continued to drive it into the ground. There was seemingly no really other good alternatives for group-based chats and group voice calling. Discord changed all of that and I, and all my friends quickly made the switch and I cannot see myself going back. Skype is pretty dead to me. Back in my days of running Zelda Oracles I remember talking to everyone through MSN... No one wanted to adopt Skype since it was the "new kid" on the block. I remember not understanding why so many random people I didn't know kept calling me until I learned what the "Skype Me!" status meant. :rolleyes:

• Official Post

Do you still? Sorry to quote you from so long ago. I just ask since I know AIM is officially dead now. Not sure about YIM. It's weird downloading programs like Pidgin, Adium and seeing MSN (which has been dead for years now), and other long-since removed IM platforms.

No. I ended up uninstalling it a few months after. Trillian was just too bugged and Microsoft cut the third party skype plugins support.

Lately I've been mostly on discord. :D

• Discord is a godsend for many reasons. Like a blend of IRC and Ventilo/TeamSpeak and Skype. But free, without ads, extremely reliable, and very customizable. The only downside is I have seen it significantly replace other means of communicating over time. A lot of communities that were primarily forum based or so exclusively talk in Discord servers instead of their actual community forums leaving them a bit dead. ?(

To answer the original thread: I used Skype daily for many years, but began loathing it after Microsoft continued to drive it into the ground. There was seemingly no really other good alternatives for group-based chats and group voice calling. Discord changed all of that and I, and all my friends quickly made the switch and I cannot see myself going back. Skype is pretty dead to me. Back in my days of running Zelda Oracles I remember talking to everyone through MSN... No one wanted to adopt Skype since it was the "new kid" on the block. I remember not understanding why so many random people I didn't know kept calling me until I learned what the "Skype Me!" status meant. :rolleyes:

I have almost completely stopped using Skype. I think I used it twice last year. My adoption of new tools tends to rely on what the Zelda community requires. I only ever installed Skype because Zelda Universe and Zelda Wiki were using it for team communication. It was awful. We had dozens of different group chats for different subjects, and everyone had to be individually added (or removed) from each group. And the mobile version was never in-sync with the desktop version.

Even so, because I had Skype for Zelda Universe, I also used Skype for friends.

Zelda Universe was an early adopter of Slack for team communications. We picked it up basically the moment it was available. It is a godsend. I don't know how we ever made it work with Skype. Because of that, my interest in using Skype for anything basically faded entirely. I had a couple of friends I was keeping in touch with via Skype, but they've pretty much all moved to Facebook Messenger now.

Discord is nice for gaming and for community discussions. I used Ventrilo for World of Warcraft a lot when I used to raid, but I haven't been a really active team-player since Discord took off. I suspect it is much better. It is a shame that forum communities move to Discord-only sometimes, but I have also seen them co-exist well. Zelda Universe definitely has users that are active on both the forums and Discord, but Discord is also home to many people who would never join the forums.

• Official Post

I host my own Teamspeak server for chats with my tech friends, we usually hop on every weekend and talk sh*t.

Is team speak still a paid service or am I miss remembering things again? XD

It is a shame that forum communities move to Discord-only sometimes, but I have also seen them co-exist well. Zelda Universe definitely has users that are active on both the forums and Discord, but Discord is also home to many people who would never join the forums.

I have noticed that too. I was actually discussing this on another community. I think if you are not careful rather than compliment each other, the discord guild can end up making the forum redundant. I've heard some people complaining of the server killing the forum activity, and while that sounds like the same gripe people used to have with shoutboxes, I feel like discord with groups, categories, roles and other features is actually more likely to steal the spotlight if not done right.

Discord is really convenient though. Today i tried videocall after skype video froze when I tried to call my family in Mexico. Discord was nice. Smooth and clean.

• Official Post

In order to keep an eye on my groups and pages, I keep my Facebook profile, but it is not a personal account. I tend to visit just for the pages and skip the timeline. I basically have Nintendo and Zelda pages rather than people show at the top anyway.

I use Twitter more these days. I have made a lot of lists so a lot of people I don't implicitly give a follow I still can check through those lists. I've been trying that way to cut the amount of people I follow but I am hopeless. One of the lists I called it index and is where I like to land in my twitter rather than the main one, that list has less than 10 people that I am actually to keep in touch and some others that just post cool things to check out. I guess live in a bubble inside a bubble when it comes to twitter. :lol:

I volunteered on another website and they use Skype more than discord, so I guess you miiight see me a bit more in Skype for the time being. :saint: To be fair, I mostly just open it to check in the group chat and exit, so not sure tto count this one. I still prefer to be contacted in discord.

I use WhatsApp to keep in contact with my family.

• Official Post

I still use Facebook loads because it is darned useful for group chats, but I skip the timeline mostly too. Facebook is where we do all the day-to-day chatting for our record label, and as any band these days pretty much needs a facebook, we chat with our bands there too. I also chat a lot with my brother from Cyprus which is useful because I can do both things in the same place without multiple tabs and windows.

I don't post very much at all though or do the normal social butt-sniffing, but it has its uses.