The controller: It's time to be real

• All of us here have a little of that old fankid spark in us, I know it. None of us want to admit Nintendo can do wrong. At least not old Nintendo. But we gotta face the truth:

The N64 controller sucks.

That doesn't mean you can't like using it. It doesn't mean the controller lacks any good qualities whatsoever. But come on...three hand positions? That's ridiculous.

• DSCI0971.jpg

I tried searching for the clip in Youtube of Everybody loves Raymond season 2 episode 1 but I couldn't find it.
    So I'll have to Link @Sardonic Pickle for it. It should start at the right time:

That part of the clip should be relevant I hope.

Anyway, it was one of the weirdest controller ever. While interesting it also made you lose 4 potential buttons. from your reach.
    There was also this game where you used the cross and the stick for it, so your right hand was the one in the middle. So weird.
    I kind of miss those horn-support but I also remember how sweaty my hands got around that area

At least it can still have a use:
    http://www.thisiswhyimbroke.co…controller-desk-organizer
    Not very effective.

• That's a classy clip, @Sardonic Pickle !

Precisely! You lose access to the whole D-pad, and the L button. I get that they were trying to create a modula controller where devs could choose to either use the joystick OR the D-Pad, but it just didn't work out that way. Nooooooooooooobody made games for the D-pad instead of the joystick.

But ya know what developers did do? They'd put functions on the D-Pad or L button that you fucking needed. Like camera control, or something like that. Which essentially made the game unplayable without 3 fucking hands.

• No it don't, you suck!

*runs away*

Anyway, I don't think it sucks, it's comfortable as hell.

It may be comfortable if the game doesn't rely on the d pad and L button. But really, what's the point of that third handle. WHAT'S THE POINT SARDONIC?!

• The three handles never got in the way for me, games were smartly designed around it imo.

also I really prefer GC's C-stick compared to the PS2-3 second analog, it's really subtle and just feels like another button, I like it. I'd say the D-pad is weirder.

I'm not getting old, I'm killing myself before I hit my 30s

Edited once, last by Cressel ().

• The three handles never got in the way for me, games were smartly designed around it imo.

also I really prefer GC's C-stick compared to the PS2-3 second analog, it's really subtle and just feels like another button, I like it. I'd say the D-pad is weirder.

I agree about the D-Pad on the GC being a bit off. Though I still prefer the PS2 analogue.

• Anyways back on 64 the controller felt comfortable if you ask me, sure three handles is stupid, but the game were designed around it pretty ok.

Yeah for sure at first glance at the controller, it's weird, but as you said the games were designed for it, so it made sense. It is definitely one of the most weird looking controllers.

• Actually, I think the games weren't designed around it enough. Zelda did ok, with using the D-Pad for maps and other small-time functions. But I would have liked to see a game that used the awkwardness of three handles. Imagine this: You're riding Epona with the control stick and A-button. You can direct your sword blows with the c-buttons, but to aim and use your bow, you have to use the D-Pad, forcing you to change hand positions. It would be so much more realistic, that switching over feeling.

• Actually, I think the games weren't designed around it enough. Zelda did ok, with using the D-Pad for maps and other small-time functions. But I would have liked to see a game that used the awkwardness of three handles. Imagine this: You're riding Epona with the control stick and A-button. You can direct your sword blows with the c-buttons, but to aim and use your bow, you have to use the D-Pad, forcing you to change hand positions. It would be so much more realistic, that switching over feeling.

It'd be more realistic maybe, but it'd be clumsy, because changing positions can be annoying with that controller.