Why isn't DailyMotion growing in popularity?

• DailyMotion has struggled for a long time to compete with YouTube and Vimeo as the second or third most popular video sharing website on the internet. However, despite their recent attempts to create a revenue program for content creators that is just as well-thought as YouTube's, despite their new video streaming platforms that competes with Twitch and YouTube Live, and despite the fact that they have invested in creating mobile apps for iOS, Android and Windows Phone, they don't seem to be increasing in popularity at all. On the contrary, their traffic seems to be slowly decreasing and no famous content creators make videos for DailyMotion.

Why do you think this video sharing site is losing so badly to YouTube?

• Because:

Display Spoiler

ti9ngdv5ij6fepi6wlml_zpsxzzgz0d7.jpg

Well I think it has a large part to do with it. Google is everywhere, therefore Youtube is everywhere. It's just too hard for anything to compete with it. It's sad, because if dailymotion had as much activity as YouTube I'd rush over there with my videos in a heart beat. YouTube is screwed up with its copyright crap, but I do like it's streaming service better than Twitch.

YouTube is just easier, like the majority search with Google, the majority use YouTube.

33eii50.jpg

SUBSCRIBE to my Youtube channel for a variety of skits and gaming

• Youtube already has the monopoly, in spirit. Everything you want (almost) is already on YT, so people don't want to invest the time to learn another platform. Same reason Google+ is failing, because people are too comfortable with Facebook and Twitter.

• However, despite their recent attempts to create a revenue program for content creators that is just as well-thought as YouTube's, despite their new video streaming platforms that competes with Twitch and YouTube Live, and despite the fact that they have invested in creating mobile apps for iOS, Android and Windows Phone, they don't seem to be increasing in popularity at all.

Chalk that also to the ignorance. People often don't know dailymotion offers this kind of thing so they are not even considered. Oftentimes people talk about how another platform needs to be on the rise, but I honestly think that unless most of the big youtubers migrated out of youtube people will just get their fix there. furthermore, because these YT bigshots have the earnings from the videos as their income source it is very likely they would willingly risk to jeopardise it by moving somewhere else.

Then you have this mentality as well:

if dailymotion had as much activity as YouTube I'd rush over there with my videos in a heart beat. YouTube is screwed up with its copyright crap

Which basically people saying they won't give the first step until all the rest do even if they admit to be uncomfortable with the way YT is going.

Perhaps the thing with DM is that it looks dated. They also are using the things we disliked about the YT changes. Like the "What to watch or who to follow" as the main things instead of simply taking us to our subscriptions. And having video recomendaciones not only on the side but under the comments is annoying. I like they show less comments but you can't really interact with people there.

The weirdest thing is that I've seen some people posting videos in both platforms and I don't see why not. It is not like you should be exclusive to either if producing the video is where most of the headaches comes from. If most people also uploaded to dailymotion it'd give more of a reason to visit. One Mexican Youtuber I follow posts his videos first in dailymotion and then re-releases them in youtube some weeks after. He really would rather to depend on DM if he is giving the preference and if more Youtubers at least did this kind of thing maybe we could shift the tide a bit. For us making the habit of checking DM first and sharing from there more often.

• It's only because all the big names in Let's Play, Reviews, and other things don't use any of these alternative sites. As much as they complain about YouTube, they'll never leave. And until they actually leave the site, nobody else will. Because you won't find their work on other sites, and as amazing as Vid.me and DailyMotion are, they need to have some better content creators in order to draw in an audience as well.

• I had never heard of vid.me. How good is that service? Have you tried it either as a creator or as a user?
    Looks interesting, the thumbnails remidns me of the Youtube of old, before all the big companies jumped into it.

Because you won't find their work on other sites, and as amazing as Vid.me and DailyMotion are, they need to have some better content creators in order to draw in an audience as well.

Agreed. A combination of established big YTbers and some exclusives that go viral to the point people are okay trying these other services to give them a shot.

• I had never heard of vid.me. How good is that service? Have you tried it either as a creator or as a user?
    Looks interesting, the thumbnails remidns me of the Youtube of old, before all the big companies jumped into it.

Agreed. A combination of established big YTbers and some exclusives that go viral to the point people are okay trying these other services to give them a shot.

I have tried it as a user, I haven't made any videos before. But anyway, it is a pretty fast and easy service. Although you can't really search individual videos, just individual creators. Or maybe you can now, it's been awhile. But it is about the same thing as Youtube, only on the main page, videos will automatically play if you scroll by them, and stay at that video. The videos are randomly selected, I guess. There isn't a rhyme or reason to them. It is a neat, but pretty small community. It has potential to be a Youtube or DailyMotion rival, but like we both said, it has a lack of anything viral, or any big names.

• Well, my vidme account is:

Vidme Channel Link

But hey, I don't really use it for anything.

I see gaming videos!
    Sees like you do have an idea what to post there.
    Even if you don't have a schedule. I'm following you. ^^