Which Zelda Ocarina of Time is superior: Original or Remake?

• Which one is the best? 11

1. Ocarina of Time for N64 - Nothing beats the original! (8) 73%
    2. Ocarina of Time for 3DS - Just the way it was supposed to be! (3) 27%

The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time is a game that marked a generation. It is probably my favourite game, not the best Zelda game, simply the first one I had and thus the one that marked me like no other.
    Anyway, with the 3DS came the promise of the remake. Then the game came along. I want to know what did you think of it compared to the original. Do you like it better or worse?

Which one is superior?

A video I found online to help refresh our minds:

• Official Post

The original, and do not say the glitch that can be done ... No, no, no.

Hahaha. Not sure which glitch you have in mind but...That's true. OoT glitches were fun. Even the pointless ones.

The design implemented in the remake I felt very plastic.

Do you mean people's texture or just overall? :D

As for me I lean towards the remake, except for the changes to the water temple. I think it was a well done remake. That said, there's big fondness in my heart for the original, pointy nose N64 adult Link.

• I did play the remake first, but i will give a neutral view point, because the original was a entire revolution of videogames and was very innovator. The remake isn't nothing of that, obviously, today i recomend play the remake because it's a better experience, but the remake today is not like OoT was in his time.

• Official Post

I did play the remake first, but i will give a neutral view point, because the original was a entire revolution of videogames and was very innovator. The remake isn't nothing of that, obviously, today I recomend play the remake because it's a better experience, but the remake today is not like OoT was in his time.

I can understand your point and it is quite interesting. I was honestly thinking the global thing and not so much what did each bring to the table when they were released, however, isn't it a tad unfair to expect a remake of a game to innovate as much as the original? That the original was so good is probably the strongest reason for this version to exist.

Ultimately, I think it is important the game can still stand on its own. I think with the remake it is shown what works beyond time and what elements now feel empty. I have yet to finish the remake.

The remake, they did everything right in my opinion.

I like the Master Quest being added but I really dislike Navi reminding you you need to take breaks. It is as if they heard about her being infamous for being annoying and decided that such a reminder would be funny. I think they could have used the opportunity to get rid of her "jump-to-your-face Messages altogether. The discreet "Hey" would suffice. Remake or not, I always dread starting over just because of the Tutorial-phase of the game. They sound so silly when you exclude the 4th wall buttons: "Hey, why don't you try climbing this?", "Hey, did you know you can open doors?", "Hey did you know you can dive and not just swim on the surface?", "Hey, I am feeling tired so let's just do nothing... nevermind that we just saw Zelda getting kidnapped. Let's take a break!".

• I can understand your point and it is quite interesting. I was honestly thinking the global thing and not so much what did each bring to the table when they were realised, however, isn't it a tad unfair to expect a remake of a game to innovate as much as the original? That the original was so good is probably the strongest reason for this version to exist.

Ultimately, I think it is important the game can still stand on its own. I think with the remake it is shown what works beyond time and what elements now feel empty. I have yet to finish the remake.

Well, if I write something about my opinion i should base myself in something, or not?

I'm saying in other words, that the better can be viewed in two ways: who offers a better experience or who got more impact and recognition, the better experience is after all the remake,, but the most recognized was the original, after all was game of year and actually is viewed like one of the greatest games in world, and the reason of why is not beter in gameplay than the remake can be explained in one only dungeon: water temple, and it doesn't ends there, the 3d effect, the portability, the beter visual textures and models, the gyroscope, the second screen has a map and quick equipament and the master quest.

• Well, if I write something about my opinion i should base myself in something, or not?

I'm saying in other words, that the better can be viewed in two ways: who offers a better experience or who got more impact and recognition, the better experience is after all the remake,, but the most recognized was the original, after all was game of year and actually is viewed like one of the greatest games in world, and the reason of why is not beter in gameplay than the remake can be explained in one only dungeon: water temple, and it doesn't ends there, the 3d effect, the portability, the beter visual textures and models, the gyroscope, the second screen has a map and quick equipament and the master quest.

Agreed. The original had the original big impact that's lasted. The remake however improved on enough things to make it the better version.

33eii50.jpg

SUBSCRIBE to my Youtube channel for a variety of skits and gaming

• ok while I'll admit that the original is boss-tier, I only actually beat the game on emulator with a ps controller I was borrowing the original copy at the time however half way into the beggining my kid brother ate my n64 controller cable and threw the controller mass into the ground my only n64 controller mind only just recently did i have the money to buy a soldering iron and a new controller saddly however the controller waslost in the moving process some years ago. I still have the new one and I just borrowed OoT and MM the other day so when i get thetime I plan on beating the original because I don't think emulators count :P

adpolu63fcf.png
    duolap64d6d.png
    ======
    laoupd7d228.gif
    ---

• Official Post

I loved the original so much I have owned it 3 times, and I still have two copies of it. i was a fool and sold it, my majoras mask and my n64 when I was 14 for some weed money (That might be untrue, cant remember what I sold it for). Anywho if I got a 3DS I would buy this. IT looks good but you never know.....

• Man, that somber opening melody is such a strange choice for a game series that had always opened with big bombastic, adventurous themes.

Indeed... it just sets that mood for "I'm going to have the most amazing adventure.. ever."

then.... you find the Water Temple...

and your 3DS goes flying... or your N64 explodes due to lack of RAM.

I loved the original so much I have owned it 3 times, and I still have two copies of it. i was a fool and sold it, my majoras mask and my n64 when I was 14 for some weed money (That might be untrue, cant remember what I sold it for). Anywho if I got a 3DS I would buy this. IT looks good but you never know.....

The Nintendo 3DS controls are very buggy for Ocarina of Time.. and to be honest they actually fixed these controls in Majora's Mask 3DS. So, if you were going for either of them, Majora's Mask 3DS is the way to go.

As fas as I think, I do like the idea of change they did in the 3DS version of Ocarina of Time, but the problem is... it was just so more.. unnatural. Some of the changes just didn't look normal, and this can be said with Majora's Mask 3DS as well...

Edited once, last by Kaynil (July 18, 2015 at 3:40 PM).

• Official Post

The Nintendo 3DS controls are very buggy for Ocarina of Time

Mind going into more detail with this. I am very inetrested to know what you mean.
    Also what do you mean with the unnatural changes that just didn't seem normal and affected both 3DS remakes? Thanks in advance(n_n).

• Mind going into more detail with this. I am very inetrested to know what you mean.
    Also what do you mean with the unnatural changes that just didn't seem normal and affected both 3DS remakes? Thanks in advance(n_n).

• Controls with the Gyro Sensor do not work normally for Ocarina of Time 3DS, but was fixed in Majora's Mask 3DS.
    • Gossip Stone are very vague in detail on helping people around with quests or side quests.
    • L - Targeting enemies are harder to untarget while barely being in range.
    • Majority of Glitches in the original Ocarina of Time are still... assailable in Ocarina of Time 3DS, Same for Majora's Mask 3DS.
    • Link's 3D model appears as two when turning the 3D on. This was fixed in Majora's Mask 3DS and the 1.2 Update of Ocarina of Time 3DS.
    • Sudden game breaking or black screens when defeating a boss that required a lot of RAM and Space. (Bongo Bongo Specifically, Again was fixed in 1.2 of OOT3D

Models just didn't seem natural to me, as I was so used to the original version of the game.

• Official Post

Thank you for giving us detailed explanation of the main issues.I can understand way better where are you coming from now.

• Link's 3D model appears as two when turning the 3D on. This was fixed in Majora's Mask 3DS and the 1.2 Update of Ocarina of Time 3DS.
    • Sudden game breaking or black screens when defeating a boss that required a lot of RAM and Space. (Bongo Bongo Specifically, Again was fixed in 1.2 of OOT3D

I'll give Nintendo a pass with these two. It sounds like they weren't to remain for long. Still that second one is quite a bummer. :(
    That still leave 5 points even if a few are more opinion taht an straight problem.

L-Targetting doesn't work with my finger-memory. Same for the Ocarina songs, hahah.
    I had to re-adapt a bit, now with the new 3DS I really want to revisit, because a lot of the double Link had also to do with me holding the console way too close, hahah.

Majority of Glitches in the original Ocarina of Time are still... assailable in Ocarina of Time 3DS, Same for Majora's Mask 3DS.

I think this one can be something good depending who you ask! Haha.